Season 3 - Characters to cast?

Tormund Giant*****

I've heard this too but I have been trying to tell myself that maybe she can be talked into it since the Queen of Thorns is a rather small role, certainly much smaller than her role in Downton Abbey and wouldn't require much time for filming.

Let's hope it plays out that way, because she's precisely who I've always pictured when imagining Olenna Tyrell.

Notable absents from the list are Mace Tyrell, Hoster Tully and Val...

Casting Lord Hoster would be a complete waste of budget $$$, imo. His death should be what brings Cat and Robb to Riverrun, introducing Edmure and the Blackfish. His "Tansy" ramblings, assuming that little detail makes it into the adaptation at all, can be introduced by a single line of dialogue with Edmure telling Cat he's been saying it over and over and asking if she knows who he could be talking about.

Notable absents from the list are Mace Tyrell, Hoster Tully and Val...

Mace can be cut or played by an extra tbh. The most important Tyrells are Loras, Margaery and Olenna and the others are optional, as much as I like Garlan.

Hoster Tully can be dead on arrival, and like that other poster says, his one important line "tansy" can be conveyed via Edmure.

Val is a bit more important than both of them, and I hope she along with Varamyr and Wun Wun is among the unnamed "others".

For the people worrying that some names aren't mentioned, don't worry.

It says,

Now, if a Book 3 character is not listed here, does that mean they are not in season three? Apparently not. Because Benioff then added: “And a few others…holy hell that’s a lot of new faces.”

While I think a few posters are correct in mining "Rome" for the Blackfish, I think Ray Stevenson would be a better choice than Kevin McKidd.

The Blackfish is supposed to be in his late-50s (3 years younger than Ser Barristan Selmy; 5 years younger than Lord Hoster), but still handsome and athletic, with gray hair (that was once the Tully auburn) and a lined, weathered face.

Ray Stevenson is 48, so maybe... but I don't get the Brynden Tully vibe from him. Plus, he's doing Dexter, but that may or may not matter since the guest-star villains rarely last more than one season over there.

McKidd, on the other hand, is way off. I have to agree with you there. Never mind that he's only 38 (closer to Edmure's age than Brynden's), but he also has a plum, major-cast position on Grey's Anatomy, which was recently renewed for a 9th season; *AND* he's getting to direct some of the episodes over there.

... Val is a bit more important than both of them, and I hope she along with Varamyr and Wun Wun is among the unnamed "others".

The question we need to ask, however, isn't whether Val is important, but, rather is she important at this point in the story. They may very well hold back and cast her later.

Archived