Reading Game of Thrones

Tiny correction: his name's Jorah Mormont.

I was coming back to edit going "No, its not Royce, as Royce was the guy killed in the first chapter." but you beat me to it. I do like Jorah Mormont a lot, something about him as a fallen knight gets me to like him. Kinda like Littlefinger, who loves a woman who does not love him, which I can relate to a lot.

Very cool...

I'm not a fan of Littlefinger at the moment..I don't trust his motives but I feel the same for Varys as well..they are both complex characters. I could say that about Jorah Mormont too. IMO, they are "foils".

i think Sansa's friend Jeyne was sent to one of Littlefinger's whorehouses when the guards attempted to hold Sansa and Arya hostage and that's the last i remember of her..not sure if she will show up in later books..haven't seen anything yet.

The stupidity of Myrcella noted in passing at the feast was a nice foreshadowing of the one chapter I was able to finish last night.
Just have to comment this: It's not foreshadowing, as Myrcella is actually very bright, on top of being a sweet child. It's more a characterisation of Arya and her bias/personality (it's Arya who thinks that, isn't it? Unless it's Jon.) Stupid people, in that series, tend to come from non-incest families foremost, in any case.

Jon/Nights Watch

I must say, the weights are scary as heck as a concept, and I got goosebumps when it was say "We will go beyond the wall"

It's daunting to pump iron seriously, at the beginning, yes :P

Sansa

Did her friend (daughter of the steward) end up in one of littlefingers whorehouses? don't spoil, but let me know if you find about her later or if she dropped.

We find out.

Just have to comment this: It's not foreshadowing, as Myrcella is actually very bright, on top of being a sweet child. It's more a characterisation of Arya and her bias/personality (it's Arya who thinks that, isn't it? Unless it's Jon.) Stupid people, in that series, tend to come from non-incest families foremost, in any case.

It's daunting to pump iron seriously, at the beginning, yes :P

We find out.

HA, you could tell that I was tired and trying to finish the final pages, weight/wight Royce/

Jorah Mormont. and so on.

]Also,the Bolton family with its flayed man sound like nice folks. And it was Jon who called her stupid, (It is in the chapter where the feast in the North early in the book, where Jon and Tyrion have a chat outside.

And that is all i needed to know about "We find out", as I was curious if her story is picked up at some point or not.

Also,the Bolton family with its flayed man sound like nice folks.
Yeah, well, Roose is not a passionate man, he is reasonable and logical.

And it was Jon who called her stupid, (It is in the chapter where the feast in the North early in the book, where Jon and Tyrion have a chat outside.
I would advise against taking any judgement of character, no matter who makes it, as gospel.

I know it's easy to recognize in Jon the good old Fantasy hero farmboy archetype, but contrary to run of the mill Fantasy here nobody has the monopoly of truth. The scene was showing him being jealous, surly, envious and gratuitously mean.

And that is all i needed to know about "We find out", as I was curious if her story is picked up at some point or not.
As a general remark, for such things, since you are speaking of "stories picked up", before we find out explicitly (or not), there is often a lot of hints that a good number of readers pick on, so depending on how closely you read, some revelations in latter books may not be that shocking.

Then again, some things we have no real hint, or no resolution, and people construct the most horribly overwrought theories to support what they want to happen. That's how those books are.

Well at this point,

Myrcella is just a kid, so at the finishing the first book, you do not know. I just took it knowing the incest that produced her that it was a foreshadowing, I have been wrong before. And Yes, I know Jon is not a flawless narrator, and his chapters are richer for it.

I get the sense that Roose Bolton is a very good leader, and I hope Robb is up to the challenge at such a young age to deal with him. Just it is very vivid imagery to have that as your heraldic symbol. Even though he was in just in a bit of AGOT, he (Roose Bolton) seems to be logical, a natural war leader, and in his battle he put up a good fight in a delay/diversionary attack on the lannisters. He and the Greatjon are the two Bannermen of the Starks that really stand out.

Also Holdor makes me wonder if he really as simple minded as he looks, then again, he may very well will be. I also curious on how Osha will be handled. I still have not made full heads or tails on the Bran chapters and the three eyed crow.

• 5 weeks later...

This is effectivly my first time reading this book, I read it years ago, but I read it too quickly and missed a lot of little things. Only really remember two things.

Spoiler
That Bran is thrown from a tower by Ser Jaime, and I remember Eddard loosing his head, which I was shocked by.

I am just starting the 2nd of the Bran chapters (just finished Arya first chaper, forgot how much of a jerk Joffrey is).

Anyways, a few questions....

a) Greyjoy is being held as a hostage by the Starks? this isn't a friendly "I will raise your son" but more of a "We are keeping your son so you do not revolt."? or am I reading that wrong.

b ) Any reason why the Author chose Ser instead of Sir?

c) Do we know why Eddard brother joined the Night watch at this point?

d) It never occured to me on my first reading, is Jon Snow the son of Eddard dead sister and not the son of Ned)

theon is a hostage, he takes orders from ned, but is somewhat of a brother to robb--the two essentially grew up together for 10 years.

martin uses ser instead of sir and eddard instead of edward just to remind us hes not writing about the real world.

benjen is the 3rd son, behind brandon and eddard. he had very little chance of inheriting lands or power, thus he donned the black.

jon is almost definitely lyanna's.

Archived