Reading Game of Thrones

This is effectivly my first time reading this book, I read it years ago, but I read it too quickly and missed a lot of little things. Only really remember two things.

Spoiler
That Bran is thrown from a tower by Ser Jaime, and I remember Eddard loosing his head, which I was shocked by.

I am just starting the 2nd of the Bran chapters (just finished Arya first chaper, forgot how much of a jerk Joffrey is).

Anyways, a few questions....

a) Greyjoy is being held as a hostage by the Starks? this isn't a friendly "I will raise your son" but more of a "We are keeping your son so you do not revolt."? or am I reading that wrong.

b ) Any reason why the Author chose Ser instead of Sir?

c) Do we know why Eddard brother joined the Night watch at this point?

d) It never occured to me on my first reading, is Jon Snow the son of Eddard dead sister and not the son of Ned)

a) I believed so, yes. Also "we're keeping your son so you'll send your ships to assist us when we go to war"

b ) Just so it doesn't sound like it's happening in Europe I guess.

d) That's a popular theory here. All speculations tho, it's not yet been revealed.

Thanks,

The stupidity of Myrcella noted in passing at the feast was a nice foreshadowing of the one chapter I was able to finish last night. (Bran second chapter where we find out about what the dear brother and sister are doing.) Of course this reveal leads to a big impact so to speak.

(quick question on this subsection of the forums, can I reveal major plot points in this thread as long as it is in this book? or is that considered rude if that is revealed in case someone reads my thread and I spoil something later in the book then they are. )

It is probably as direpenguin writes, George Martin tries to get a english medieval Ivanhoe-feeling over the whole thing without using actual english names. works sometimes, I think it is rather nice, when I first read it, it is names for the people of the North and it looks fitting to have these a bit different names in this a bit different world.

I do not know why it is "sir" in the real world, but think he could have kept that in Westeros. Just like he kept knight and king.

I have some more trouble with the more fantasy-sounding names: Cersei, Tyrion, Baratheon. So far I can´t see what cultural differences these different names are supposed to point at. So Im just treating everything not directly copied from english as "strange snobbish whims of southerners".

(quick question on this subsection of the forums, can I reveal major plot points in this thread as long as it is in this book? or is that considered rude if that is revealed in case someone reads my thread and I spoil something later in the book then they are. )

I think it is best to use the spoiler-markup.

Especially when talking baout the things you have in your first post, good work there.

I guess the thread can follow your reading (you don´t want spoilers either) so when the discussion have comed to the middle of the book, things from the first chapters could be said without spoilers-I´m hoping people are reading the topics from beginning to end.

It is probably as direpenguin writes, George Martin tries to get a english medieval Ivanhoe-feeling over the whole thing without using actual english names. works sometimes, I think it is rather nice, when I first read it, it is names for the people of the North and it looks fitting to have these a bit different names in this a bit different world.

I do not know why it is "sir" in the real world, but think he could have kept that in Westeros. Just like he kept knight and king.

I have some more trouble with the more fantasy-sounding names: Cersei, Tyrion, Baratheon. So far I can´t see what cultural differences these different names are supposed to point at. So Im just treating everything not directly copied from english as "strange snobbish whims of southerners".

I think it is best to use the spoiler-markup.

Especially when talking baout the things you have in your first post, good work there.

I guess the thread can follow your reading (you don´t want spoilers either) so when the discussion have comed to the middle of the book, things from the first chapters could be said without spoilers-I´m hoping people are reading the topics from beginning to end.

Well I am on Page 100, and Tyrion is headed north to visit the wall - just as a warning to readers that is how far I am before I continue.

On Bran

Spoiler
Poor Bran, I still feel bad for the kid. Though the line of "What I do for love" is a classic line as he sends the kid flying. Also, I am opened minded, but sex with your own twin is up there on the squick scale with the best of the worse.

I will stop using spoiler tags as I go on on this plot point, but since it a major event, spoiled protected it this time around. As for other thoughts...I forgot how COLD Neds wife is to Jon, I remember liking her a lot years ago, but right now I do not overly like her. But that is a good thing, she is no "Mary Sue". Also loved how Jon gave his half sister "Needle". I forgot how much of a likable person Jon Snow is. Also, what would cause King Robert to give the same family TWO of the ward positions, King Robert seemed a little smarter then that, even if his wife is a

Gemini Incest fan.

And I love the POV of Tyrion.

Across the narrow sea...

I just want to hug Daenerys. Poor girl, though her hair and eye combo would be striking for sure. I also think Mormont <sp> is much more intriguing then Daenerys brother, who i find shallow and loath. And i forgot how her husband horse lord was semi-noble in at least (bad euphemism alert) got her well saddled before riding. And I love how the Dragon eggs where described in Dany's viewpoint. A gift suitable for a queen i must say.

Glad to see you are enjoying the book.

Theon is known as Stark's ward...he is sort of a "hostage". I'm trying to remember how he got there if it's in this book or not so i don't want to give anything away.

You feel for Dany..she has been manipulated by her brother Viserys since she was a baby. He is all she has ever known.

Tyrion is so easy to read and enjoy..he is the exact opposite of most his family.

Well, my notes from last night reading... I am past Bran Dream, so spoilers if you have not gotten that far.

The chapters where there is the fight with the butcher boy, and the

Killing of lady, which had more impact then the death of the butcher boy funnily enough.

The part where Bran is attacked and his mom and Wolf protect him is amazing, taunt and stressful. Classic writing. And then the mom wakes out of her issues and starts to be a lady suitable for someone like Ned. Liked how she dominated the consulting, even though Robb did well as well running things while she was in lala-land over Bran. However I suspect that whoever dagger is claimed to be used for the attempted murder will be not the real villain. I guess I read too much of "Dune" to expect someone to try to murder someone with a weapon that could be easily tracked.

I was going to bring this up later, but the Night's Watch consists of noble (mostly northern) volunteers, and then men picked up from Prisons, Rapist, thieves, and so on. (Which makes me think it would nice to have a place to send thieves, rapists, and drug pushers off to slowly freeze their nuts off in real life.) But my question is that if the Night's watch men are made up of criminal scum from the south, how is discipline maintained other then knowing the Starks will behead you if you leave?

As for Bran's dream, I love the line "His name is Summer" but I am going to need to reread that. Also, its about time that Littlefinger showed up in the book. I love Littlefinger.

As a note, I never been much of a note taker, but I am tempted to do so with these books, to keep track of who is who and so on.

Also, what would cause King Robert to give the same family TWO of the ward positions, King Robert seemed a little smarter then that

I also found that strange, how could he give the warden of the East to him? It is supposed to be someone to unite the Eastern Lords, surely there must be some out there with more local connections. That might be the problem, it have always been the Arryns that where the kingpins out there, so if any other house would get the honour-they might be so ludacrisly proud of it that there would be no en dto it. I guess Robert couldn´t stand the constant nagging from all the jealous others.

A classic compromise, if the standard choice can´t be done and all the others are equal. Go for an outsider and no one can complain.

Well, I read the chapter where Ned gets into Kings landing, and two of my questions where answered. A) Greyjoy is being held to make sure his fathers fleets are loyal to the north. B) it is not said, but implied that Ser Jamie got the nod due to the King being deeply in the debt of his wife's family. (3 million gold pieces.) Darn good reading so far.

And for some reason, I get more impact on what happens to the pesky wolves then many of the humans, when Arya talks about throwing stones at her wolf to run it off broke my heart. I hope its not the last time we see her wolf.

Yes, about the freerider....like a swellsword....paid for their horse and sword. They don't swear fealty.

A hedge knight is a knight that has not been knighted by the King or Queen, A good source is the general forum for the novels but be careful of spoilers there too.

Littlefinger lied to Catelyn about the sword so...she thought she had the "right person". She was acting out of anger of what happened to her son. In her eyes, she figures that she has done nothing wrong however, she didn't think much about the consquences of her action and whom it might affect later on.

Dire peguin is right..that's what I was trying to say but he said it better than I did. Well done.

Once you get reading...you get reading...that happened with me too...I think once I got to a similar point, I couldn't put the book down and finished it.

Hope you got book #2...

Dire peguin is right..that's what I was trying to say but he said it better than I did. Well done.

Once you get reading...you get reading...that happened with me too...I think once I got to a similar point, I couldn't put the book down and finished it.

Hope you got book #2...

I do, and I hope to finish book one before tuesday, when Diablo III comes out.

I do, and I hope to finish book one before tuesday, when Diablo III comes out.

Hopefully, you can take a break from the game later on and read #2..then more discussion.

PS..I got to the same point with Ned and couldn't stop reading myself. Quite the twist there and not expecting what would happen next.

Well I did finish book 1, not bad, 7 days to finish the first book. I will discuss it more later when I digest a few things. But I do have to say. (NOTE, spoilers for the first book.

Robb

declairing himself to be King of the North, no good will come of this. Make peace when your ahead and let the south fight itself, prep for winter. After all.. Winter is coming.

Jon/Nights Watch

I must say, the weights are scary as heck as a concept, and I got goosebumps when it was say "We will go beyond the wall"

Ned

Poor Ned, and here I thought the first time I read it we would get to see Ned and Jon at the nightwatch. Likeable to the end.

Ayra

Some reason I think she will have a tough row to hoe. Though she one tough girl. I like her a lot. I want to hug her well.

Sansa

Did her friend (daughter of the steward) end up in one of littlefingers whorehouses? don't spoil, but let me know if you find about her later or if she dropped.) Might sound awful, heck, it is awful, but I hope the hound or Littlefinger gets her at the end.

Lannisters

Wonder if dad will wake up and figure out his younger son is the true leader, and not the golden boy. Loved how he used the mountian clans to good effect.

Dany

I guess by puttng the Shepard woman on the fire, it gave up a life to hatch the dragons? Also, I really like Royce, her knight.

Littlefinger

Love Littlefinger, don't know why, but i do.

Dany

I guess by puttng the Shepard woman on the fire, it gave up a life to hatch the dragons? Also, I really like Royce, her knight.

Tiny correction: his name's Jorah Mormont.

Archived