[Book spoiler] The pros and cons

Con- Bran/Rickon's death was too obviously faked, I really doubt any tv-only viewers havent already figured it out.

Con-Jamie the psycho smashing a boys skull 20x over.

Pro-All scenes with Cat, Arya, and Tywin.

Pro-Sansa getting her period was done really well done, I thought it would be really awkward to watch.

pros: sansa period scene

pros: 11/13 of the thirteen getting godfathered, good setup for tv viewers to start looking a little deeper into that storyline

pros: "you know nothing jon snow"

pros: the cat and jaimie scene

1/2 pro 1/2 con: jaimie scene killing alton, pro cause it was acted very very well, con cause it makes jaimie look more evil than he should look,i understand maybe the river scene wouldnt have worked for whatever reason but the way he went down didnt seem right

con: talking about the one armed boy earlier in the episode and then showing the viewers the 2 boys burned one of which had a severed arm, every person i have talked to that has not read the book know that bran and rickon didnt die, this scene failed me a little, you were much more suprised in the book, acted well once again, but its just like, really? its like putting a snip in about what joffery is going to do to ned the night before, annoying, dont really see the point of it.

PRO: You know nothing, Jon Snow.

Pro: Theon Greyjoy. Just in general. The cliffhanger is awkwardish but Alfie Allen is phenomenal.

Actually I liked pretty much everything except:

CON: Jaime killing Alton because 'lol'.

You know, there really was no way for them to show the Bran/Rickon scene any other way. I don't know how they could have done this without it being a bit of a giveaway. The thing that some people just have to come to terms with is that certain scenes work better in the written form than they do on screen and vice versa. You win some, you lose some.

As far as the Jaime scene goes, like I said in other threads, I think it only serves to enhance his upcoming redemption arc. Plus we get the added bonus of a very well acted out scene. It was great, all around. I would hate for there to be absolutely no shocks for me in this series. I love that I got to read the books and STILL the show manages to surprise me sometimes.

They needed a "Reek". not Dagmar as a replacement. Plus they gave wayyyyy too much info to the viewer. No boys should have been shown or mentioned at all. They showed Bran and the gang looking at the place deciding whether or not to go, they should have only showed Theon go to that place and next show him at Winterfell with the hanging dead boys. They purposely chose to let everyone in on the deception.

Anything is possible when it comes to TV, sometimes you just have to work harder/be more talented.

Pros:

Jaime getting screentime

Anything Jaime says

Jaime and Cat

Jaime and Brienne, little as it was

Jaime and Alton before... well, yeah

Cat's epic comebacks

Brienne's "man" line, lawl

Tyrion almost comforting Cersei

Tywin and Arya

Ygritte

Ygritte's amusing smack talk

The ending scene with Theon, Dagmer and Luwin

Roose Bolton getting screentime

Roose Bolton's badass cloak flip

Cons:

Jaime brutally butchering poor Alton for the evuls

Cersei being defanged completely (there's no middle ground indeed with this character, it seems)

No Davos

No Stannis

Talisa continues to disappoint

I want my Reek back

Dany's storyline continues to be pretty meh

Sandor ostensibly telling the queen about Sansa

Still not a Shae fan

I REALLY want my Reek back

Pro - everything between Charles Dance and Maisie Williams. I don't care if these scenes are not in the book or that TV!Tywin has more of a rounded character than Book!Tywin, they are so well acted and written that they make excellent TV and that is what's important here.

Pro - mention of Visenya and Dark Sister. A nice little throw out to book readers; they should do more of that since it doesn't harm the show but ensures that readers are a bit more satisfied. We also got mention of Balon Swann.

Pro - The awkwardness between Cersei and Tyrion. He knew he was meant to comfort her, she knew he was meant to; instead they both looked like they were staring at a cobra that might pounce. Brilliantly acted without a word being said.

Pro - Ygritte and Jon. Perfectly done. I'm interested in how they will play out the rest of that arc with the Halfhand.

Pro - Pyat Pree. Just a wonderful portrayal, the right amount of bloddlessness and creepy.

Pro - Karstark's mention of Robb heading to the Crag with "that foreign whore". This is nice foreshadowing since Robb's actions have been unquestioned and popular so far. His love for Talisa will start to eat into the loyalty of his bannermen together with his reaction to Karstark in the coming episodes. This, in turn, will make it easier to understand how the betrayal will have developed by the end of season four.

Con - Dany. I'm bored almost every time she's on screen right now. Hopefully her journey into the House of the Undying will make her arc a bit more interesting.

Con - Jaime's kinslaying...

Con - No sex scenes. Although there was a lot of violence and gore, I'm European and find it easier to stomach nudity on screen than violence and killing ;)

Pros:

Harrenhal overview with Lannisters: awesome

Charles Dance and Maise (altough the proper-properly correction was a bit fail of acting)

The slaughtering of the 13 (11, precisely)

Personally i liked the "murder of the Stark boys", most casual show-viewers won't figure it out

Sansa flowering, the actress starts to be great

Cons:

Psychopathic murder by Jaime

Quaithe (she is not a mysterious character anymore... as far as i recall in the books she only appeared at nights and definitely not in public)

North of the wal: I really-really HATE these goddamn wastelands. Where are the immense forests?

Didn't like the emotional scene between Tyrion and Cersei. Cersei would've never opened herself in such way to Tyrion and wouldn't have spoken with him about the incest.

Pros:

Catelyns acting

Jamie, Brienne and Cat's interaction

Osha charming Hodor and Rickon

Sansa's acting

Cons

Jon and Ygritte-jon goes from tough son of Ned Stark to whiny wilding's bitch

Tyrion and Cersei bonding-Last week Cersei is wishing massive pain on Tyrion and next week will whip his lover, yeah lets bond)

Tywin and Arya-Great acting, HORRIBLE writing

EVERYTHING in ESSOS-Tis boring, going nowhere and cliched

Jamie killing his cousin-despite all appearances, In book JL is NOT a sociopath, a narcissist yes, a sociopath NO

Shae doing something out of character, hmm lets see her two previous interactions with Sansa-Gee Sansa you aint better than me and Gee Sansa you are one ignorant fool who doesnt understand why poor hungry people are mad.

(I can never remember all the actor names, so I'm using character names :-))

Pro: Arya/Tywin scenes (not realistic, but love 'em nonetheless)

Pro: Sansa was great this episode

Pro: Theon and the 'death' of Bran and Rickon

Pro: Ygritte (I think she was perfectly cast)

Con: Dany (always a con to me)

Con: Gregor (really not liking the new one)

Con: Jaime killing Alton... so NOT in his character that it was actually comical to me

Con: Jon being caught by Wildlings instead of Qhorin sending him over (but I think that's coming)

Con: I am having Davos withdrawal

Pro in general: For the most part, the acting I think is top-notch (except the new Mountain). Hated the Jaime stuff but think he did it wonderfully, so the scene failed for me thru no fault of the actor. The girl playing Sansa blew me away with her depiction this episode... seriously, best cast of young actors anywhere on TV.

woops totally forgot...

HUGE CON: The Quaithe tattoing party... Seriously? Uh... this character (for me) was taken from mysterious/possibly shady to ridiculous and comical in that scene... seemed so forced: Hey audience... look at this woman wearing a mask and creating cool tattoos--ohhhh that means she is mysterious... it was (imo) just BAD

woops totally forgot...

HUGE CON: The Quaithe tattoing party... Seriously? Uh... this character (for me) was taken from mysterious/possibly shady to ridiculous and comical in that scene... seemed so forced: Hey audience... look at this woman wearing a mask and creating cool tattoos--ohhhh that means she is mysterious... it was (imo) just BAD

I agree you so much concerning your opinion about Quaithe. D&D totally misinterpreted the character.

I agree you so much concerning your opinion about Quaithe. D&D totally misinterpreted the character.

yeah, ooooh I am mysterious lady, now wait a second while I dip my paintbrush and paint this guys back oooooooh Spooky

Archived