[Book spoiler] The pros and cons

You know, there really was no way for them to show the Bran/Rickon scene any other way. I don't know how they could have done this without it being a bit of a giveaway. The thing that some people just have to come to terms with is that certain scenes work better in the written form than they do on screen and vice versa. You win some, you lose some.

I agree with your conclusion about differences in medium. I think it'll be especially evident in the more ambiguous events (gravedigger, Balon's death, Arya at the RW etc. etc.) They are dificult beasts for adaptation for sure.

Nevertheless, I was still dissappointed by the show's handling of B&R's death. If it's off screen and mysterious, they could have at least tried harder to keep it that way. They should've kept it as surprising as possible. It might have helped if they went straight from Luwin and Theon's first interchange ("it's just a game") to the final scene. They could have cut out the walnuts and orphan talk completely. They can explain all that backstory about the miller boys in future episodes. That would be truly shocking, like it's supposed to be.

Pros:

-Arya scenes (all of them)

-Theon in Winterfell

-Jaime/Alton scene

-Jaime/Catelyn scene

Cons:

-Jon's capture (will have to see how it plays out from here, but I think it will ruin the dramatic effect of his turnover after Qhorin's death)

-Most of Dany's scenes (here's hoping that the House of the Undying improves her arc)

Archived