Why didn't Rob sent Karstark to the wall?

nyjack76

Probably because he after what he did now was viewed Robb's enemy. And you don't let your enemies live in that world.

Probably another thing is that they didn't want to show weakness from the king. He got to show that he is strong and a rightful king. Show Umber, Tully and the other that he really is the king in the north.

it just bugs me that sending Karstark to the wall wasn't even brought up as an option. Seems like a pretty big laps in logic if you follow the rules that seem to govern the world of westeros.

Well, the rules are that you can't actually sentence someone to the Wall. Technically, everyone at the Wall is a volunteer: it's just that most of them 'volunteered' to get out of a judicial beheading or maiming.

As such, Karstark could have asked to take the Black, but he didn't. I guess Robb could have offered it as an option, but he was not obliged to, and in the circumstances I can sort of see why not. He needed to demonstrate his authority.

Probably because he after what he did now was viewed Robb's enemy. And you don't let your enemies live in that world. Probably another thing is that they didn't want to show weakness from the king. He got to show that he is strong and a rightful king. Show Umber, Tully and the other that he really is the king in the north.

But Tyrion was also a enemy after supposedly poisoning Joffrey when Tywin offered him the Wall?

It just seems odd that they didn't even bring it up. To me that was a logical compromise in order for Robb to give himself a chance to keep house Karstark on his side. Even if the older Karstark turn it down, Robb could have at least claim that he offered to show mercy to him and the last surviving son might have been able to save face and remained in the fold. Also, even if Martin was trying to show Robb making a mistake out of youth, much like marrying the Westerling girl and throwing away the Fey alliance, one of his advisers could have at least suggested it. The way it goes down, it feels to me as artificially stacking the deck against Robb so that the red wedding becomes inevitable.

• 1 month later...

I think that Robb's decision regarding the Karstarks was a big mistake. Offering the wall would have probably been an acceptable choice. From my point of view Robb was showing that he cared more about his prisoners, his honor, than his bannermen. Robb has Ned's honor, but we see where that got them.

Archived