[Book Spoilers] The Failure of the Kingsguard

Morvran

• 1 month later...

As I recall - and someone else mentioned a few posts ago - there were some practical problems in the production with respect to getting the correct totally white armour as per the books. So they went with the 'light' colouring instead of white, but had them in their white KG cloaks. Which of course would not stay white on a battlefield for very long! I don't think it really matters, as we saw both Barristan Selmy and Jaime in series 1 in full KG dress. Certainly by series 2 when we see other KG members, it should be clear that this is the regular KG uniform. I don't think they need to emphasise the KG any more than has been done: we know generally who they are, and I expect we will get more of the KG background and the 'you broke your sacred oath' aspect when we get to some of Jaime's scenes in the next season.

All my mates, none of which have read the books, all knew that Tyrion was attacked by a friendly.

I don't know if they knew whether or not he was Kingsguard. Also, if you cannot tell a Kingsguard apart from a Baratheon/Lannister soldier, then I think you should really reconsider the quality of your vision. Guys in shiny white armour tend to stand out quite a bit.

I knew it was a KG, and I saw that episode before I read any of the books. The helm was a dead giveaway. It's very uniquely shaped and distinct from others. (The dramatic 3 pointed edges or whatever). You just had to slightly pay attention to the throne scenes to notice that.

Plus the knights of the KG tend to be quite large men height wise and physically (with the exception of Gregor Klegane who's pretty much the largest man in Westeros).

Archived