[BOOK SPOILERS] "I am no one."

Died a Hero

I just watched most of season 2 again this afternoon and caught something Quaithe said that I overlooked before. When Ser Jorah asked for her name, her reply was "I am no one." and the way she said it, it sounded very purposeful. A strange woman in a lacquered mask who spouts prophecies? Could she be a faceless man? I know she's meant to be from Asshai and not Braavos, and that seven straight hours of television have probably melted my brain. Still, I thought I'd toss this out there.

And why would a FM be following Dany around (not killing anyone, mind you, to the best of our knowledge) and encouraging her to go to Asshai-beyond-the-shadow? Interesting thought, but I can't see it playing out considering what would the FM know about prophecies? Also, with the masks, maybe there is some tradition with some Asshai'i to be 'no one' so to speak, and always wear a mask. Obliteration of the self and a lack of self-identity are not too uncommon of philosophies in some Eastern beliefs, I think most likely they are unrelated. Not too mention she never actually said anything like that in the books (at least I don't remember off-hand).

I just watched most of season 2 again this afternoon and caught something Quaithe said that I overlooked before. When Ser Jorah asked for her name, her reply was "I am no one." and the way she said it, it sounded very purposeful. A strange woman in a lacquered mask who spouts prophecies? Could she be a faceless man? I know she's meant to be from Asshai and not Braavos, and that seven straight hours of television have probably melted my brain. Still, I thought I'd toss this out there.

that thought also crossed my mind that she's a faceless man, but don't know what to make of it. perhaps that's the role they've made for her on tv, but not in the books.

Yup. I noticed that as well. Incidentally, when that episode aired, I was in the middle of one of Arya's chapter in A Dance with Dragons. Hence, noticed that expression distinctly. However, I am of the opinion that the book readers should not read too much into "hints" dropped by the writers of the series here and there.

It is pretty clear that the TV series is not a strict port over from paper to screen. If the series' writers consider Dany's "The House of the Undying" sequence unworthy of screen time, it stands to reason that they would not bother with the dialogue detail such as Quaith calling herself "no one".

good catch! not sure what to make of it. If the show were more faithfully mirroring all the mythology of the books, I would definitely take that as a clue to Quaithe.

Strangely, because of this thread, I noticed when flipping through A Storm of Swords that Jaime actually uses a similar phrase when he is first returning to King's Landing. "He would be no one's cousin, no one's enemy, no one's sworn sword, in sum... no one." I know it's not like a hugely unique phrase, but I thought that was sort of interesting.

Archived