How Do You Envision Old Valyria

Tewks44

Rome, but with silver-haired people and dragons.

And I think you are just making that up for no reason, to sound smart. What does Valyria have to do with Alexander? Or Persia? Look, Ghis was still pretty western, with legions and shit. If you look at the map, Valyria = Rome, Ghis = Greece, Qarth = Constantinople+Carthage, Asshai = Asia.

@Walder Waters The Valyrian empire was a freehold - every free Valyrian could vote. But there are many, many slaves and non-citizen subjects. So the Roman republic it is.

Actually I drew the connection with Grecian culture because of the way Valyria mirrors Atlantis, and the fact Valyria had magic reminded me of Persia due to fables of magic from the middle east like flying carpets and such. You could have just asked instead of calling me out and assuming I was just trying to sound smart on a completely anonymous forum

I see the Valyrians a bit like the Red Wizards of Thay in the Forgotten Realms world of Faerun.

Essentially, an evil empire based on the powerful sorcery of the ruling mages who exploit millions of slaves to increase the power of their Empire.

Evil sorcery (blood and fire magic) enforcing a life of suffering and deprivation for the slave underclass. And the use of this power to further expand the influence of this evil Empire.

Actually I drew the connection with Grecian culture because of the way Valyria mirrors Atlantis, and the fact Valyria had magic reminded me of Persia due to fables of magic from the middle east like flying carpets and such. You could have just asked instead of calling me out and assuming I was just trying to sound smart on a completely anonymous forum

I thought of Atlantis too. Probably made to accomodate dragons, maybe something like the dragon/Elderling cities in Robin Hobb's books, or the insectoid city in Feist/Wurts' Empire series.

I also imagine high towers, made with the black stone used for the wall/keep in Volantis and similar architecture to Dragonstone. I absolutely cannot wait to learn more of it.

If the Valyrians used slaves and the such as much of Essos does. Why did the Targaryans not bring that custom into Westeros after the conquest?

To me it sounds like the Persian Empire just with dragons and more advanced.

That Targaryens adopted the customs and religion of Westeros, in order to get the Church on their side. They didn't have the power to change the way of life of the entire continent. They are just one small family. So they took the throne, but gave up most of their beliefs and customs in exchange for the Westerosi way of life.

Archived