Am I the only one who thinks Aegon stole Danys thunder?

total1402

I guess I want different things from the books. As I've said further up I would like to see Dany involved in the GoT.

Fair enough :)

Plus its been said that you win the GoT or you die

By Cersei, who is not particularly good at the Game, just saying :P

Dany can't just go back to Essos and will have obligations to anyone who swears to her cause. I'am not sure how making the ancestral/family cause her own precludes her not having her own identity? Is Arya not her own woman for wanting vengence on those who wronged her family?

It doesn't preclude having her own identity, just that what she wants may differ from her family's goal of sitting the Throne once more. She may still avenge the specific people who wronged her family and have other agendas like protecting the realm. Similar to Arya, who may avenge her family, but still not want to become the Lady of a castle like Ned wanted for her.

I suppose, though Aryas not the last Stark. She still thinks Sansa is alive so hasn't really considered what obligations she has to her family. Would Arya really want her families deaths to be for nothing if it came to the worst and she was the last living Stark?

You seemed to be suggesting that Dany should decide at some point in Essos that taking the Iron Throne doesn't matter so she goes North to stomp the Others. It wouldn't be dull drivel if she failed to take the Iron Throne because the Others kill her. But it would be bad if she just dropped this whole crusade of her and all shes done/wants to achieve because the Others show up then flies off yonder. I mean shes told us all she wants is to sit the Iron Throne, to just off and drop that would be bad.

Well, in this case I think a quote by Stannis would be apt.

“I was trying to win the throne to save the kingdom, when I should have been trying to save the kingdom to win the throne”

I think the same thing applies to Dany, if she wants to sit the Iron Throne.

It wouldn't be wasteful, but it would be like, whats the journey had to do with the end? Why did I just read that? So that was all just to get dragons burning some snow elves?

Well, your posts are dripping with contempt for dragons and the others ( snow elves, huh? ) . I get that. But there is no avoiding that, since they have been there all along too.

Because I expect Dany being in Westeros to be 3x better than anything shes done in Essos. Hence the delays and implications that she might just "forget" bout the throne to fight Others are worrying. I don't consider her getting to Westeros to be an end, but another journey in of itself. I mean, Westeros isn't going to beg her to return with her dragons and offer her the crown if she fights the Others? They're going to fight her and put up a good fight.

I doubt Westeros will have much of a fight to put up at the end of the day, coming off a civil war that divided the kingdom in more than two pieces, and then Aegons invasion which will likely take the final strength out of the land. People are already grossly unprepared for the long winter that’s coming, and that is not even taking the others into account.

But they are Snow Elves. :lol:

Lithe, graceful, errily beautiful figures who don't break the snow with their tread. :ack: ELVES!!!!!

I mean I could try to argue that an Eldar isn't just a Space Elf but has its own origin story, background, mythos etc etc But I'd be a liar if I said that.

TBH people are such cynics in Westeros that they probably wouldn't give Dany the throne if she saved them. Stannis has too just a view of the world and expects people to be grateful for shattering the Wildling host' when in fact they didn't give a dam. So sadly Dany is going to have to take a few thousand skulls and swords if she wants to rule Westeros; even after she saves the ungrateful snot stains.

There are two other potential Targaryens:

Jon: though I personally have a hard time seeing how (1) R + L = J can be convincingly demonstrated to everyone (2) Jon would accept the Throne over staying in the North, even if the Night's Watch is abolished. Nevertheless, some believe he will come into the Throne anyway, with or without marrying Dany.

Aegon: despite a high probability that he is fake, I also have a hard time seeing how Dany will prove the claim false, especially at a time when lords and smallfolk rally around him. It would be my personal preference for him to rule and keep believing that he is Rhaegar's legitimate heir. If he rules as Aegon VI Targaryen, the Targaryen legacy still lives on (wonder what Dany will think of that?). If he's a Blackfyre as many think, he even has the bloodline.

Yes, for plot purposes, he may just get eaten by a dragon. I'm aware of the impending second Dance of the Dragons and the "slayer of lies" bit, yet I hope the Others come sweeping in before Dany vs. Aegon gets too bloody. I have a bias for Aegon, but I say this also because I don't like the idea of Dany wreaking more civil strife on Westeros because of her claim to the throne.

I think Jamie and Cersei are dragons actually. Jamie will likely be the third head of the dragon. Just a couple of things characters have said and the Aerys possibly doing Tywins wife. So, irony, Tommen and Joffrey were Targs.

I agree, Jon has always refused rule even when offered and only wanted to get Ramsey Snow because that "man" is one of the daemons from hellraiser with his sister.

IMO Aegon will die screaming and his skull will be tossed at Danys feet. But I don't think a Dragon will do it. I'd prefer it if Vic or Jorah did the deed ala Robert Beratheon vis a vis Rhaegars chest. I just can't like him like I can Stannis, even though Stannis is just as likely to oppose Dany; more so actually.

Actually GRRM refers to the Others as a kind of snow elves. Only he does not use that term but compared them to the Sidhe, a non human race in the popular mythology of Britain. In an exchange of emails with the designer of the graphic novel version of AGOT he tries to describe them to the designer and says, that they are not dead but rather like the Sidhe and calls them unhuman, intelligent, elegant and dangerous.

Archived