OK for Jon Snow to Die?

Puck the Goat

The one guy who is willing to fight for something other the vanity of a throne dies before the big battle of the long night takes place? Knowing GRRM's work I would not put it past him

While I wouldn't put it beyond Martin Jon dead=dead has several problems.

1) Martin himself said in an interview that we shouldn't be so sure that Jon is dead.

2) Jon up to now hasn't found out his true parantage. Martin said he would eventually.

3) Jon was one of two major POVs at the Wall. Red Mel had a POV but only one. Samwell Tarly is all the way at Oldtown in the south. Bran is way up North far beyond the Wall with Brynden Rivers and the CotF as far as we can tell. Davos is at Skagos and I doubt he'll go to the wall but I think he'll head to the Manderlys. So without Jon (excluding prologue/epilogue POVs) there are no major POVs at the wall. With the Others coming I find it hard to believe we'll have no major POVs at the wall. Unless Bran relays the events through weirwood vision. Or Red Mel gets more screentime. Or Davos pops up unsuspectedly at the wall. Still I would deem a Jon POV fairly essential.

4) Jon's parantage, whether you're a fan or not, is one of the big plot pillars of the series. Just him being dead would be anti-climatic to say the least. And Martin knows that Jon is one of the more populair characters of the series. An anti-climatic end to Jon would disappoint a lot of fans.

5a) Martin has dealt with ressurection and undeath, in various forms, in all the books I believe. There's always a chance that Jon could be ressurected in one form or another.

5b) Martin has made it a point that Jon, after Bran, is becoming a powerful skinchanger. It is mentioned that he has trouble not warging into Ghost even during waking hours. There's a very good chance in my view he wargs into Ghost after the assault.

5c) There's even a good chance that he simply survives the assault. He's wearing thick clothing, was attacked by people not known for their combat prowess and there's an angry giant on the loose, not to mention that Tormund's people should be nearby. Of course it doesn't look very good for Jon but we don't have enough information at the moment that he is killed outright or that he's wounded.

Archived