OK for Jon Snow to Die?

Puck the Goat

He goes cold, but the forums heat up.

Could he be resurrected? Sure. But some people think that's cheap and cheesy.

Could go to in to his puppy for a while? Maybe.

In the end, is it OK for Jon to die? We could still learn all about him being R+L through Howland, but maybe it's time for the POV to move on.

Thoughts?

I don't believe Jon's story is over yet, so I found his death kind of unlikely and I have to admit that I'm not fond of an idea of unJon. But I think seeing him warging Ghost would be quite interesting, plus in that case he would finally get in touch with his warg side (I don't know how else to call it, sorry :blushing: ).

He goes cold, but the forums heat up.

Could he be resurrected? Sure. But some people think that's cheap and cheesy.

Could go to in to his puppy for a while? Maybe.

In the end, is it OK for Jon to die? We could still learn all about him being R+L through Howland, but maybe it's time for the POV to move on.

Thoughts?

At the end of the series I can accept it but right now I think that aside from being a shock value his death doesn't contribute to the story; rather it detracts from because his entire arch will feel unresolved.

I think he has had 'dead in the end' written all over him from day one so to speak, but it can't happen now, I just think in narrative terms it would be crazy. He would never get to interact with any of the other characters for a start.

Like many posters, I also think Jon's death now does nothing for the story narrative as it has been constructed so far. And as a reader, GRRM has given me too much mystery about Jon, too much narrative, and too much care for him to die.

However, I do not agree with many who think Jon's death by the end of the series is somehow 'a done deal'. So far, the Starks have lost a father, mother, brother, another brother injured, and a third missing/lost (4 males, 1 female). I do think there will be one more Stark death but that it will be female, and I think it will be Arya. It would be fitting if Arya dies defending Sansa, or Jon.

I agree with what everyone's said. At this point, it makes no sense for Jon to be dead and *stay* dead. Maybe eventually he will die 'permanently', but right now I think Jon is coming back in some shape or form. I truly hope that he is just very badly injured and will go into a bit of a coma or something for a while, and be forced to warg into Ghost (something he has resisted doing up til now). Jon dying at this point in the story would majorly cheapen the story for me. I can see him coming back 'resurrected' as some sort of undead being, but that too would upset me as I think Jon as a person still has some things to do before his arc is complete. Would make me sad to see him lose his memory of everything a la Beric Dondarrion.

That said, I have no problem whatsoever if Jon dies eventually, such as towards the end of the series.....in fact, I've been expecting it. But....just....no. Not yet.

I dunno, I think GrrM still has to stick to character arcs that make sense.

As it is we have three books of Jon growing up, then one in which his faults as a leader bring about his destruction. That's almost like a resolution to a character's development coming out of the left field.

Looking at Ned and Cat's story arcs it makes much more sense to me that they should be dead.

Jon's death is a blot from the blue, relatively anyway, that doesn't tie in with his story pre-DwD.

Also, its very unclear exactly what Jon was trying to do and if he is dead we aren't likely to find this out in a very satisfactory way, which makes it very odd, in story terms, to kill him off.

I was pretty clear why Ned and Cat died (even if the deaths were a shock, they made sense afterwards), and how their flaws brought them down. Jon can't die without it even being clear what he's up too. I do think that would just be bad story telling.

Of all the cliffhangers in ADWD, this is the only one I really thought GRRM should definitely not have ended on. In reality 90% of readers just rolled their eyes and instantly began thinking of how he's coming back, rather than OMG he's dead. Unless george busts out some extremely intertesting twist (not death OR ressurection) he probably should of ended it on a note that was actually believable.

I wouldn't have a problem with. People die. They die randomly. It doesn't matter how important they are to us, they die. It doesn't matter how important they are for any reason, they die. I'll actually be disappointed if all of his characters that are just so needed for the story stay alive until their part is done.

I wouldn't have a problem with. People die. They die randomly. It doesn't matter how important they are to us, they die. It doesn't matter how important they are for any reason, they die. I'll actually be disappointed if all of his characters that are just so needed for the story stay alive until their part is done.

There is a point when doing something just for 'realism' in a story becomes, well....ridiculous. Not to mention one should not forsake good storytelling just for the sake of this supposedly amazing and holy 'realism'.

Sorry, but I just don't see the appeal of Jon staying dead.

Jon's death scene was by far my least favourite moment in almost the entire series, not because it happened, but because of where it was placed in the book.....as a cliffhanger just to piss us off.

Archived