OK for Jon Snow to Die?

Puck the Goat

As much as I like Jon with the popular opinion on here of how he just can't die because of the story I kind of hope he does stay dead. This is Martin's story not ours, just because we can't see how it works doesn't mean anything.

This I agree with. Would be mind boggling if he pulls it off.

This I agree with. Would be mind boggling if he pulls it off.

I agree it will be stretching it, but only *if* Jon is actually dead.

Maybe he is only 'mostly dead'.....like in The Princess Bride. :P

There is a point when doing something just for 'realism' in a story becomes, well....ridiculous. Not to mention one should not forsake good storytelling just for the sake of this supposedly amazing and holy 'realism'.

Sorry, but I just don't see the appeal of Jon staying dead.

Jon's death scene was by far my least favourite moment in almost the entire series, not because it happened, but because of where it was placed in the book.....as a cliffhanger just to piss us off.

If it makes you feel any better I have no doubt something miraculous will occur since life is in fact just a song and it probably will be as goofy as Jon warging into Ghost then back so he sufferes no ill effects of resurrection thus being conveniently absolved of his vows and gets to go smooch on Val while becoming Lord of Winterfell with all the Stark children gathering together in front of the heart tree to have a reunion with Bran/ch who tells them the story of everything.

While I'll hope, I also always thought Davos ran the siege of Storm's End because he saw good men starving. I was wrong. As they say, hope springs eternal though.

I'm torn.

Jon's death stunned and upset me. Of course there is precedent for him being brought back, and/or it's possible he'll be AA reborn, but to echo another poster... people die. Sometimes people die before their stories are finished.

Of course I want Jon to be alive, but all of the 'back from the dead' stuff is getting a little soap opera-ish.

I'm torn.

Jon's death stunned and upset me. Of course there is precedent for him being brought back, and/or it's possible he'll be AA reborn, but to echo another poster... people die. Sometimes people die before their stories are finished.

Of course I want Jon to be alive, but all of the 'back from the dead' stuff is getting a little soap opera-ish.

I agree, I'm getting super tired of all the coming back from the dead stuff.

But not so tired that I'd want Jon of all people to be the one who finally doesn't. :P

I think it was kind of lame to end it with a cliffhanger, but that's just my opinion. I dont think we are quite done with him yet, after all nearly all the events that occurred at the wall and beyond we're from his POV. Not saying that Martin couldn't use someone else as a POV such as Melisandre, but he was not a bad perspective to read in.

I don't want him to be dead for good, but if he is so be it. If Martin kills him off Im sure he would have good reasons to do so. Please dont kill Ghost though. "/

I think it was kind of lame to end it with a cliffhanger, but that's just my opinion. I dont think we are quite done with him yet, after all nearly all the events that occurred at the wall and beyond we're from his POV. Not saying that Martin couldn't use someone else as a POV such as Melisandre, but he was not a bad perspective to read in.

I don't want him to be dead for good, but if he is so be it. If Martin kills him off Im sure he would have good reasons to do so. Please dont kill Ghost though. "/

That was the entire problem with Dance, everytime you start thinking something is going to happen... you remember oh yeah this is happening at the same time as that last book ten years ago. It's pure filler.

Except for Manderly.

And Big Bucket Wull.

It would definitely be a huge twist if he stayed dead, but it's not one I think GRRM will make. Ned's execution and the Red Wedding were well written twists. For a twist to work, it has to both make sense within the universe (would this character actually do this) and it has to fit the narrative structure. Jon Snow dying would only fit one of those. From a narrative perspective, all we would have is a whole lot of wasted POVs. The story gains nothing by having him die now.

It would definitely be a huge twist if he stayed dead, but it's not one I think GRRM will make. Ned's execution and the Red Wedding were well written twists. For a twist to work, it has to both make sense within the universe (would this character actually do this) and it has to fit the narrative structure. Jon Snow dying would only fit one of those. From a narrative perspective, all we would have is a whole lot of wasted POVs. The story gains nothing by having him die now.

My bad, you beat me to it lol

I think it's okay for Jon to die when his narrative purpose is done but I'm not okay with him being truly dead at this point just so that Martin can show that anyone can be killed. Ned Stark's death was what started this whole "Martin will kill anyone" bit and I think it's a false assumption. Ned was never the ostensible "hero" and it was not his story but readers believed it was. So when he died, it started this whole "anyone can die, even the main characters!!!" But I don't believe that's true. Ned's purpose, his true purpose, in the narrative was done and he died.

If GRRM killed off main characters for the purpose of realism and without any thought to the narrative, he'd be left with peripheral characters and a disjointed narrative. I mean, all the main characters have plot armor because it's needed for them to get to certain points in their personal narratives.That said, I am perfectly okay with Jon or any of the other characters dying when their purpose is done.

Ugh the way AFFC & ADWD were written was highly confusing with the timeline going side by side in different geography..

Back on topic, I think one of the following will happen:

-He will warg into Ghost.

-He's critically injured, possibly in a coma. He could also warg into ghost that way.

-he's dead and Melisandre will bring him back.

I hope that Martin could possibly throw a curveball, but it may be possible to guess correctly.

I feel like Jon Snow staying dead would be pretty absurd ... He has been as built up as any character in the series (probably more so), and with the big mystery (for some at least) surrounding his birth and its possible implications, killing him off at this stage would be ridiculous ... Kind of like killing off Dany before she arrives and has any impact on Westeros, which would make all of her chapters completely pointless. Wanting Jon to stay dead at this point is like liking Ramsay Bolton or someone we should obviously dislike (it doesn't make you anymore edgy). And I don't buy that GRRM is just so cruel that he's willing to build up characters we are sympathetic to just to kill them off before they accomplish anything substantial ... Killing Ned, Cat, and Robb was done partly to make us think he's capable of such a thing so we dread turning every page.

That was the entire problem with Dance, everytime you start thinking something is going to happen... you remember oh yeah this is happening at the same time as that last book ten years ago. It's pure filler.

I've never seen it put that way before, but wow, so true, and so depressing. I instantly had to watch

to calm myself down.

My attitude toward that last chapter hasn't changed. I've been waiting forever for Jon to make a decision he actually enjoyed. And then he gets killed for it immediately. What the hell is that.

Archived