Wyman Manderly, your picks

hombay

I was recently introduced to Doc Martin and while I was watching it this past weekend, I thought how he would be a great Wyman! I'm glad to see I'm not the only one!

You mean Martin Clunes? Not sure why but I find that guy very irritating, But I could see that yeah.

Ha ha! No, sorry! I was introduced to the show Doc Martin and while I was watching, it occurred to me that Bert would make a good Wyman. I guess I forgot to mention that Ian McNiece is Bert.

Oooh, hah. Yeah McNiece would be much more preferable to Martin Clunes anyway! :P

I just had a thought. How about Jim Broadbent? He can traverse the line between menacing and pathetic quite well. Would need the obvious prosthetics and fat suit etc to make him look the part of the fat Lord Manderly but it would be a good role for him I think. Important enough to warrant his acting nous but not to be seen so often that it would disrupt Broadbent's film career.

That wouldn't make sense at all. Only the people from the Summer Islands are black.

This is what doesn't make sense. The TV show is a TV show, it isn't the book. For all intents and purposes the story wouldn't suffer one bit if they make some Westerosi characters "colored" or have a "colored" ancestor.

This is what doesn't make sense. The TV show is a TV show, it isn't the book. For all intents and purposes the story wouldn't suffer one bit if they make some Westerosi characters "colored" or have a "colored" ancestor.

Stop being so politically correct. The men of the north are pale skinned because it is friggin cold. Those of Dorne are of a darker complexion because it is hotter there. When they cast a black actor to play the originally pale character of Xaro, they changed his origin and made him a native of the Summer Isles, where it is always hot (hence the name) and the natives there have a black complexion. You know, just like in real life.

I know where you are coming from though. If a man is a great actor it shouldn't matter if the character was originally white. In a recent BBC production of Henry V they cast Paterson Joseph as the Duke of York. When I saw the publicity stills I thought "Well, shit, that's odd..." but that was soon followed by "But, shit, Paterson Joseph is fucking awesome!"

But if you cast a black actor in a role that should really a white character, it opens up a load of issues. How would a man of the Summer Isles attain a seat in the North? Are we to just pretend it is not an issue? Would those in the North and the rest of Westeros really not draw attention to the fact? I mean racial tension isn't a massive issue that the books seem to address but that is pretty much due to the fact there is little to none racial conflict. When you put white characters in foreign countries (as we see later in the series) the issue of race is never something used to provoke conflict.

It would just seem like a lame attempt to be overly PC.

/rant

• 2 weeks later...

Archived