The Faceless Men Egg

Two Towers

Dragons do help magic, and they use some kind of magic, so maybe a dragon would help their black ops magic

Maybe, they could have some way of 'siphoning' the magic out, and use the dragon as a milk cow. That would give them an extra edge

Crakpot rambling a bit here

The Faceless Men are anti-Valyria and seem to be (and this goes for Braavos in general) anti-dragon. I don't buy for a second that Dany's anti-slavery adventure is a get-out-of-jail-free card, because the dragons could easily outlast Dany and who knows who'll "get" them then. I think that whatever the Faceless Men are doing with the dragon egg (and yes I think Euron sold it to them for the hit on Balon) and in the Citadel, it is for the purpose of getting rid of dragons or fighting against them.

While we're in this vein, let me reiterate my opinion that Septon Barth's book is probably propaganda bunk, while the "Death of Dragons" book in the Citadel is probably the "real deal."

It could be, but I think the significance of Dany in hatching the dragons is far less than a lot of people seem to believe. We might be destined to find out that she was simply in the right place at the right time, with the right general recitation of a formula.

I think this is a huge point. I think Dany was in a lot less control over that situation than many people, even most people — especially her :P — are willing to admit.

The Faceless Men are anti-Valyria and seem to be (and this goes for Braavos in general) anti-dragon ..... I think that whatever the Faceless Men are doing with the dragon egg (and yes I think Euron sold it to them for the hit on Balon) and in the Citadel, it is for the purpose of getting rid of dragons or fighting against them.

Are dragons really an only-Valyrian deal? It certainly seems that way, but Bran sees dragons flying on Asshai while he was in coma. Maybe they are some unknown different animal that Bran names dragon. But if there are other dragons beside Dany's, then destroying dragons by smashing eggs one by one will take the FM a good long time...

Are dragons really an only-Valyrian deal? It certainly seems that way, but Bran sees dragons flying on Asshai while he was in coma. Maybe they are some unknown different animal that Bran names dragon. But if there are other dragons beside Dany's, then destroying dragons by smashing eggs one by one will take the FM a good long time...

Barring some other development, the Valyrians are the only civilization explicitly stated in the books to have tamed dragons and used them for the subjugation of others. We don't know "when" the dragons were that Bran saw — past, present or future — and we don't know that they were under anyone's control.

I think this is the reason. The Dragons would increase their power.

I don't think the dragons have a localized effect of boosting the power of magic. Along with the birth of the dragons, magic grows in strength everywhere from Qarth to King's Landing. I think it's more likely that dragons are a symptom or a byproduct of the return of magic to the world, rather than the cause.

I don't think the dragons have a localized effect of boosting the power of magic. Along with the birth of the dragons, magic grows in strength everywhere from Qarth to King's Landing. I think it's more likely that dragons are a symptom or a byproduct of the return of magic to the world, rather than the cause.

Yes, I think so too. A lot of people think the dragons are the cause, yet many forms of magic — like the Others and skinchangers — were strong before the dragons ever hatched. I think it's a correlation/causation issue.

Yes, I think so too. A lot of people think the dragons are the cause, yet many forms of magic — like the Others and skinchangers — were strong before the dragons ever hatched. I think it's a correlation/causation issue.

Maybe they are harmonics. Influencing and increasing each other, not just cause and effect, but a positive feedback cycle.

So the White Walkers wake up. This brings an increase in magic levels, that allows the birth of the dragons. The birth of the dragons further increase the magic in the world, and now pyromancers and regular joe warlocks in Qarth can make actuall real spells.

Perhaps this cycle keeps growing untill it gets overload and colapse, provoking something like the doom of Valyria or wathever it was that wrecked Hardhome. After this, magic is retreating since there is not enough to feed the cycle anymore.

Ramble end.

Back on topic, I was thinking about Jaqen in KL. If he didn't get what he wanted before ending up in the dungeons, then he might have to go back for it. I still believe there was something else the Targs kept in the Red Keep besides the skulls, something that might help the FM with their eggs issues...

This is the reasoning given in the show for stealing the dragons, if not entirely spelled out tin the books,

What a relief! I thought this thread might be a crackpot about Egg (Aegon V) being a Faceless Man. :laugh:

Now that I think about it, Egg seems to have the FM profile... :idea:

Back on topic, new idea (at least for me):

• The FM where once part of the Valyrian civilization.
  • Many people believe they were involved with the doom.
  • It is possible they have some degree of Valyrian knowlegde (like Valyrian metalurgy, masonry, spells, etc...)
  • I'm assuming that Valyrian technology was based on dragons (not a very far fetched assumption)

So it could be that they need a dragon to put this old knowlegde to work, and now that they know that magic is back in the world and that dragons can be hatched again, they are going to give it a try

I know it might sound far-fetched, but what if the FM were knowing about the comet and the return of magic? They have some sort of Valyrian cycle(like seasons) that records the magic. They knew magic will bring dragons with it, that's why they sent Jaqen to Kings Landing. They sent him there to find something unknown(Maybe finding dragon eggs?). When the word of Danys dragon came to Braavos they decided to change Jaqens target, and made him go to look for ways to kill them. They want dragons for themselves... and they try to destroy other dragons so they'll have the power that they were once threatened by. They want the Valyrian Freehold to rise again!

/crackpot

Though it does seem logical to me they want to hold the only dragon in the world, and that's the reason why Jaqen was in KL. When they finally got the egg from Euron and heard of Dany's dragons, they changed his mission to find a way to kill Dany's dragons.

Do we know who paid for JH's mission, or is there evidence so far that this isn't a FM gone rogue? If Euron did pay for Balon with the egg, and the FM do want the book for its knowledge about Dragons and possibly how to kill or hatch them, what mission is this pertaining to? Why did he kill Pate, as in who paid for him to die? The Kindly Man gave Arya a right lecturing when she killed Dareon, so what is their justification for Pate?

Do we know who paid for JH's mission, or is there evidence so far that this isn't a FM gone rogue? If Euron did pay for Balon with the egg, and the FM do want the book for its knowledge about Dragons and possibly how to kill or hatch them, what mission is this pertaining to? Why did he kill Pate, as in who paid for him to die? The Kindly Man gave Arya a right lecturing when she killed Dareon, so what is their justification for Pate?

The idea idea of Jaqen being rogue is interesting, but perhaps some FM agents are given a 'license to kill' of sorts so they can wack anyone they think necessary, although, as you say, the Kindly Man strongly remarks that they kill only marked men.

The idea idea of Jaqen being rogue is interesting, but perhaps some FM agents are given a 'license to kill' of sorts so they can wack anyone they think necessary, although, as you say, the Kindly Man strongly remarks that they kill only marked men.

After learning of the inner-workings of the temple, it seemed plausible to me that Jaqen was sent on a "mission" to gather all he could, or achieve a goal decided by the council that meets at the depths of the temple levels behind the locked door.

Maybe he has the authority to kill as needed to achieve his goal ... also, it's possible that anyone aligned with the Citadel is fair game.

Now that I think about it, Egg seems to have the FM profile... :idea:

Back on topic, new idea (at least for me):

• The FM where once part of the Valyrian civilization.
  • Many people believe they were involved with the doom.
  • It is possible they have some degree of Valyrian knowledge (like Valyrian metalurgy, masonry, spells, etc...)
  • I'm assuming that Valyrian technology was based on dragons (not a very far fetched assumption)

So it could be that they need a dragon to put this old knowledge to work, and now that they know that magic is back in the world and that dragons can be hatched again, they are going to give it a try

1) I am also quite curious if there is a Targaryen library somewhere in Maegor's Holdfast, and that is why Jaquen was originally sent to KL.

I think Jaquen was looking for a concealed Targaryen library, or perhaps some relic in KL.

For all we know, he could simply be planning to swoop up all the obsidian candles that can be found in the interest of keeping potential competitors/conspirators in the dark.

Regardless, there was something of rare value to be found in the depths of KL and (judging by the lack of turnkey discipline we learn about in Jamie's SOS chapters) Jaquen could have had nearly unfettered access to the crypts, crawl-ways, and inner workings of Maegor's Holdfast simply by being a neglected, low-value prisoner.

2) I don't buy this zero sum argument that because Braavos 'stood against' Valyria centuries ago, that anybody/anything from Braavos must want to kill dragons.

History is rife with the oppressed turning into the oppressors by harnessing the means with which they were subjected.

To that end, even if the Kindly Man was telling Arya the truth that FM don't take lives which aren't marked, I am unconvinced that it is that simple.

We already know of several entities which act in and from Braavos - the Iron Bank, the Sealord, the Moonsingers, the Courtesans, Prestayns, Antaryons, etc.

I think the FM are but one arm of the Sealord - that is to say the Sealord is really even in charge.

(That would assume that all Braavos actors work together for common interest, which itself is a generous assumption.)

My point is that even if the rank and file of the FM do not have license to kill, it would not necessarily follow that a FM could have a much more robust freedom when in service to a higher order or entity (the Sealord himself/herself or even someone/something more ominous and nefarious still).

Archived