Why cast orell?

Longspear Ryk

Orell is there to combine several characters into one, most likely. Much like how Roose Bolton played a completely different role this season despite being an existing character.

I have a feeling we won't see Varamyr Sixskins at all.

Crook is such a great actor, i just hope they utilize him in a good way with lots of screen time. He has to be one of the biggest names of the series thus far. I really reaaly like him and was hoping for a much bigger role, even ramsey i woulda prefered. Then again d&d might write him some good shit, wait and see i suppose.

I personally love the casting. I was worried the Wildlings would seem quite shallow, with only Mance, Tormund and Ygritte really representing their side of things. Adding Mackenzie Crook's Orell changes all of that though -- so much depth has been added.

Off-topic; I cannot wait, literally, until Mance's casting is unveiled. He and Ramsay are the big ones that still need to happen and I think they're saving the announcement for a separate surprise. Doesn't hurt that they're both in my top-five characters.

As some already said, I believe they will combine several characters in one and make Orell Jon's main antagonist in S3. Less characters makes it easy to follow by tv viewers, less actors = less production costs and that allows to have a big name as Crook on board (possibly with more screen time)...

My guess is that they'll probably will merge Orell + Varamyr + Styr and maybe Jarl = Orell on tv...

As far as I'm aware there's been no announcement about who is playing Mance. Is it possible that they will have Jon get to know Orell and then have it turn out that he is actually Mance?

As far as I'm aware there's been no announcement about who is playing Mance. Is it possible that they will have Jon get to know Orell and then have it turn out that he is actually Mance?

I like that. I think the Magnar will probably be a distinct character, but definitely a well-known actor like Mackenzie Crook will be given plenty of screentime. Probably Varamyr+Orell+Jarl at least.

I like that. I think the Magnar will probably be a distinct character, but definitely a well-known actor like Mackenzie Crook will be given plenty of screentime. Probably Varamyr+Orell+Jarl at least.

Jarl is the wildling who climbs the Wall with Jon, right?

Jarl is the wildling who climbs the Wall with Jon, right?

Yes. And he's relevant in the sense that he falls off which gives HBO the chance to give us a cool bloodthirsty scene. Given the changes they've already made (with Talisa), I can see them cutting Jarl's character.

Yes. And he's relevant in the sense that he falls off which gives HBO the chance to give us a cool bloodthirsty scene. Given the changes they've already made (with Talisa), I can see them cutting Jarl's character.

I doubt the tv Orell will be Jarl then, I doubt they kill him of in one season. Hopefully he sticks around at the Wall.

EDIT: Perhaps they'll combine the tv Orell with Styr and/or Sigorn aswell.

Oh no, I wasn't implying that they would have Orell fall off the wall, or kill him off. I simply mean that Jarl has no real relevance to the plot, so they can give his lines to Mackenzie, and make some random fall off the wall. I like him being Sigorn. I always saw the Magnar as having a very distinct personality, so I think he may be a character in his own right.

Archived