So this Dany/Ironborn rendezvous can't go well, right?

StannisBamfatheon

*shakes head* This is kind of like one of those impossible questions...one of which I asked as an OP in a thread a few months ago, aka "where did Viserion and Rhaegal go?"

We're left with "oh, I dunno, there are infinite possibilities -- speculation isn't really helping". Well, this is an easier one (for me, at least).

What really annoys me about the "Dany situation" is her retainers, as someone else called them. It's the perfect word.

They're this motley crue of gelded men, one old, chivalrous knight, a stinky seneschal who wails like a cartoon character every time Dany holds council (even writing that makes me laugh) an ugly "Shavepate" who loves to torture people, a purple-haired buffoon who, for reasons unknown to the old gods and new, is irresistably attractive to Dany, and freed slaves. Forgive me if I forgot anyone. Oh, yeah, the treacherous Green Grace.

Maybe this is a bit off-topic, but why does Dany always trust or not trust people based on their looks? She trusted MMD because she felt this "plain, flat-nosed woman would not hurt her", she trusts the Green Grace because of her countenance and her "sad eyes" which she believes to be "full of wisdom", she distrusts Daario because of his treachery but also because of his appearance (she just knows his kisses would be hard and cruel, and she obsesses over the almost-purple eyes and that damn gold tooth). Then, when she says "promise me you'll never betray me, please" he says "never" and she says "okay!" and beds him. Oh, and let's not forget Ben Brown Plumm. Tyrion saw through him immediately -- the fake smile, the favorite nuncle routine (well, he is older than she is, and more seasoned in political intrigue, but personally I think it's what Syrio Forel used to say about "the true seeing", and Tyrion happened to see right that time)...

I guess even dragons can err sometimes, right? I'm talking about Dany's actual dragons. I always thought they protected her the same way the direwolves protected the Stark children, but this is turning out to be a very different animal-human relationship. Actually, someone should start a thread about that, if they haven't already.

Anyway, why talk of all the trust issues that Dany has? Because first of all, I *believe* that Dany doesn't know anything about ironborn. Or at least, I can't remember her ever mentioning them throughout the series.

So if she bases her trust of the ironborn based on looks, she'll probably think a) people from Westeros! and be joyful, like she was with Barristan. B) Victarion is an imposing man. If he can get it together for one minute and manage to be polite to Dany, she'll probably trust him. She loves imposing, tall men like Drogo. c) she might think of the Iron Fleet arriving as the answer to her prayers -- if and when she gets back to Meereen.

And then there's option d) Dany does NOT trust them, but Vic, plotting with Moqorro, think up some plan to winkle Dany out of her pyramid and kidnap her, rape her, etc...

No clue how they're going to use that horn, though. Does anyone remember what Moqorro says about how it must be used to actually work?

Because she is but a young girl, and knows little of the ways of war.

As for the horn, we saw with the guy that blew it initially, it kills whoever blows it. It's the whole blood magic thing again I think, death must pay for life/dragons apparently.

I'm anticipating (though not exactly hoping) that the horn is permanently bound to Euron, and Victarion is just going to give him a dragon. That'll piss him and Aeron right off, let alone Dany.

The thought of a "Dany wins Rhaegal and/or Viserion back from Euron" arc … I think I'd prefer it if she were forced to kill one of her dragons instead of looking in its eyes and reminding it that it has a mommy. If Daenerys defeats the Others and takes the Iron Throne all in the last fifty pages of ADOS it'll be amusing."Why all the fuss? That turned out to be pretty easy, actually."

No clue how they're going to use that horn, though. Does anyone remember what Moqorro says about how it must be used to actually work?

It's in the Victarion WoW preview chapter (Wasn't it?). Something about it needing to be bound by blood or needing a blood offering. Then it needs to be blown three times.

^ I really have no idea of what to make about that dragon horn. I will say though that if it works the way it's supposed to, and does actually fall in Dany's lap, the people bitching about Jon getting Longclaw will be hereby invited to STFU immediately and forever.

Maybe it's too late where I am, but what is this about people bitching about Jon getting Longclaw? And what does it have to do with the horn being in Dany's possession? (Sorry if I come off as totally daft.)

Victarion riding a dragon to the sunset, wouldn't that be a sight!

I still think the poor moron will roast, a pitty, since he is the only ironborn I like. He is the Chuck Norris of Westeros

The way he pointed with his smoking hand... *squee*

Maybe it's too late where I am, but what is this about people bitching about Jon getting Longclaw? And what does it have to do with the horn being in Dany's possession? (Sorry if I come off as totally daft.)

Some people complain constantly about Jon allegedly getting Longclaw too easily and/or without doing anything to really earn it. I'm curious to see these same people's reaction if a dragon horn falls in Dany's lap through no effort of her own, an item undeniably more powerful than a Valyrian sword.

Some people just found it too convenient for a bastard in the Night's Watch to be given an incredibly rare ancestral blade. It would be the same as Dany getting the horn, because it makes their lives too easy. Deus ex machina or something along those lines, the insolvable problem is miraculously solved with no prior buildup.

I'm with the poster that remarked about there being too many variables to take into account. Although, I will venture that I think Daenerys has to come back with the majority of the Ironborn. My reasoning is that there are simply too many ships and not enough sailors without them.

Some people complain constantly about Jon allegedly getting Longclaw too easily and/or without doing anything to really earn it. I'm curious to see these same people's reaction if a dragon horn falls in Dany's lap through no effort of her own, an item undeniably more powerful than a Valyrian sword.

Oh ok, thanks! Of course, these same people will make up some excuse, hehe

Some people just found it too convenient for a bastard in the Night's Watch to be given an incredibly rare ancestral blade. It would be the same as Dany getting the horn, because it makes their lives too easy. Deus ex machina or something along those lines, the insolvable problem is miraculously solved with no prior buildup.

The main difference being, Longclaw did not solve any of Jon's problems the way a dragon horn would solve Dany's, i.e. it'd give her a way to control the animals she had up to that point had no ability or interest in taming.

I mean he did save Commander Mormont's life from an undead attacker intent on killing him....I think that's worth a sword.

It was also a cool tie in to Jorah across the narrow sea knowing he left it for his father to keep after he dishonored their family.

The main difference being, Longclaw did not solve any of Jon's problems the way a dragon horn would solve Dany's, i.e. it'd give her a way to control the animals she had up to that point had no ability or interest in taming.

It depends on whether Valyrian Steel = Dragonsteel I guess. I could agree with Jon being given the sword, but when that sword turns out to be AntiOther at the same time, it seems a little lucky to say the least :P Not that it matters, since he's dead, but an undead superwarging Jon with a super Otherkilling sword is pretty badass to me.

I worry though that all Dany's fuck-ups and terrible decisions get glossed over cause in GRRMs vision for the story she's kind of the predetermined savior of Westeros, which I hope isn't true. But the dragons, the unsullied, potentially the dragon horn, the kid get's alotta breaks...

I worry though that all Dany's fuck-ups and terrible decisions get glossed over cause in GRRMs vision for the story she's kind of the predetermined savior of Westeros, which I hope isn't true. But the dragons, the unsullied, potentially the dragon horn, the kid get's alotta breaks...

Yes, she's had a lot of luck. But luck runs out.

Victarion riding a dragon to the sunset, wouldn't that be a sight!

More likely scenario, as was said: the thralls blow the horn, Viserion and/or Rhaegal ride off. No one in Essos know where they went. Then later we get a POV chapter in the Reach or see it described where it looks like the Tyrells are going to defeat the Ironborn, kill Euron, etc. then one or two dragons show up under his command and Highgarden gets torched? I don't know. Maybe that's what it takes to get Dany to Westeros (following one or two of her dragons there).

Anyway, why talk of all the trust issues that Dany has? Because first of all, I *believe* that Dany doesn't know anything about ironborn. Or at least, I can't remember her ever mentioning them throughout the series.

So if she bases her trust of the ironborn based on looks, she'll probably think a) people from Westeros! and be joyful, like she was with Barristan. b.) Victarion is an imposing man. If he can get it together for one minute and manage to be polite to Dany, she'll probably trust him. She loves imposing, tall men like Drogo. c) she might think of the Iron Fleet arriving as the answer to her prayers -- if and when she gets back to Meereen.

And then there's option d) Dany does NOT trust them, but Vic, plotting with Moqorro, think up some plan to winkle Dany out of her pyramid and kidnap her, rape her, etc...

I know - a meeting of Danaerys with Victarion has such potential for black comedy. Especially if Barristan is there, and double it if Daario is there.

Victarion will show up, tell Dany the equivalent "You're my bitch now!" (Polite? That is him being polite.)

Shavepate will just advise "kill them all" - like always. Strong Belwas ? Well, he and Barristan will both want to fight for Dany's honour, but the real fight will be between pretty-boy Daario and Big Vic, over mating rights like it was some wilderness show. You can be certain that Daario will be the first to issue the challenge to the "ugly westerosi barbarian".

After Victarion has brutally killed him, he'll make his ... "offer of marriage" again, and carry her off like a salt wife, with Unsullied, Barristan, and Belwas in tow (and a certain dwarf). She'll only half mind, especially once that dragon horn is blown and she and her dragons become compliant.

The Dothraki horde nearby will just shrug and say "funny boat-going man was at least a man." Then, between them and the Ironborn, and the dragons, the cities of Slaver's Bay get sacked and burned so completely it makes the end of Carthage look like a mere chastisement.

Mereen and the rest of Slaver's Bay will go "WTF, this is really how it ends? Who knew ?"

Does anybody honestly think the Dothraki are coming? Because I don't. I'm thinking the Unsullied (what's left of them) and the Ironborn. That's it. Some Dothraki retainers, perhaps, but no large retinue.

Archived