US Politics - Screwing Up the rest of the World Edition

Shryke

I would love to see a law outlawing all bailouts, subsidies, and guaranteed loans. You would quickly see which companies/banks are viable and which are feeding off the taxpayer. And investment would be steered to legitimately viable entities. Alot of supposedly smart businessmen would be exposed as frauds who knew how to game the system.

I'm not sure how you could agree to banks declaring bankruptcy millions of people could lose all their money in such an event. When you are an hardcore capitalist i guess you could argue fair is fair but I personally would see why any government would bail out such a bank. What needs to be done is government intervention to split up banks again in consumer banks and investments banks.

It's fucking ridiculous anyway since the 2008 crises banks have gotten bigger instead of smaller. Government needs to step in and split them up

That reasoning doesn't work. It relies on the idea that Romney could somehow turn out to be a good candidate, something even you don't seem to put any faith in while arguing it.

No, it doesn't. I never said that Romney was a good candidate. (Nor am I saying that he's going to win, although he might.) I think Romney is an average candidate, not particularly good or bad. What I _am_ saying is that it's easy to exaggerate a candidate's flaws at this stage in the process, and particularly easy for partisan opponents of said candidate to overlook their appeal.

You can post all the links you want, doesn't change the idea that it's wrong to use taxpayer money to invest in private companies. Corporate welfare is never justified. If a company is worth investing in, why do they need to get their capital by force via the government? We have agencies all over the government with their own slush funds set up to just hand out dump trucks full of cash to whomever. It's not even earmarked by Congress, just approved by some faceless committee no one voted for. HARP, TARP, the Import Export Bank, the DoE Green Energy slush fund. It's insane, and a guarantee of fraud, waste, and abuse. But hey, just say you're "Investing In America" and it's all good.

cute, the persistent market utopianism. corporate welfare is the rule of capitalism, rather than the exception.

You can post all the links you want, doesn't change the idea that it's wrong to use taxpayer money to invest in private companies. Corporate welfare is never justified.

Finally! Commodore admits that philosophy, and not fact, guides the formation of his opinions.

Archived