Why did they do that? (A thread about characters mistakes)

Brony Stark

This thread is about the subject of some characters mistakes. Whether it be tactical errors, political choices, getting banged, it doesn't matter.

Let me begin

Tywin Lannister: Why did he underestimate Robb?

In Game of Thrones after it's reported that Robb's host is at Moat Cailln, he dismisses the threat with

...A sword must be tempered first...

practically saying that Robb's not a threat because he's young. This from the man who wiped two houses off the map when he was sixteen. Does Tywin listen to his own song? He himself proved that even an untried general can win a campaign.

heh, that's a good one actually. My own personal tragedy is Lysa forcing Tyrion into the sky cells. Leaving Tyrion in comfortable captivity, as befits the son of a great lord, would likely have prevented his escape. If the Northerners held both Lannister sons, they can trade Tyrion for Ice and Sansa, and then send Sansa to the vale to meet Harry the Heir and convince Yohn and Nestor Royce and the other Vale-lords to pretend Lysa doesn't exist, or alternatively to Highgarden for Wilas Tyrell in a deal with Renly that would have outlasted his death.

This thread is about the subject of some characters mistakes. Whether it be tactical errors, political choices, getting banged, it doesn't matter.

Let me begin

Tywin Lannister: Why did he underestimate Robb?

In Game of Thrones after it's reported that Robb's host is at Moat Cailln, he dismisses the threat with

practically saying that Robb's not a threat because he's young. This from the man who wiped two houses off the map when he was sixteen. Does Tywin listen to his own song? He himself proved that even an untried general can win a campaign.

Tywin really dropped the ball on that one, he violated the first rule of combat: never underestimate your opponent; expect the unexpected. The famed soldier, the Red Lion, learned this when he fought Tywin, and now it seems the gold lion has made the same mistake.

Another is why did Cat go to Ned herself with the dagger? Ned trusts his own men, so why couldn't she just have sent Ser Rodrik Cassel and Theon Greyjoy with the dagger?

On the other hand, her decision to go to King’s Landing herself is rather lacking in forethought, given the evident danger that the Lannisters pose to members of the Stark family. Given that Eddard Stark is known for his trust in and even-handed dealings with his staff (as we see from Arya’s chapters), the idea that Eddard wouldn’t trust Ser Cassel, Maester Luwin, or his ward if they came bearing news of the attack rather strains the belief.

Rather, her decision seems to stem more from a personal need to be proactive in dealing with the Lannister Conspiracy.

Even after Ned had reason to believe the Lannisters conspired against the throne and murdered Jon Arryn who was like a father to him, he still took Arya and Sansa to KL? i know Sansa was to marry Joffrey but surely he could of said something? She will when she comes of age?

or at least insist on Tommen staying in the north as his ward.

Even after Ned had reason to believe the Lannisters conspired against the throne and murdered Jon Arryn who was like a father to him, he still took Arya and Sansa to KL? i know Sansa was to marry Joffrey but surely he could of said something? She will when she comes of age?

Yeah, that whole part in AGoT was fishy. Both Ned and Cat are so very weird in their decisions, jumping this way and that... First Ned doesn't want to go and Cat insists, then suddenly the other way around, then the attempt on Bran's life and instead of fortifying Winterfell Cat goes south as well, taking the Starks' commander with her... the way she stays at inns and brothels is beyond me... It's basically a bundle of mistakes.

But then again, these people are human, and thus imperfect...

To me one of the biggest and most obvious "dunce" moments in ASOIAF was Robb's decision to wed Jeyne Westerling. That was just plain stupid.

Why did varys just complete the sex change. Is he a boy? A girl? Idkwot

Eunuch is not a trans*woman who has decided not to complete gender reassignment surgery.

Oh and to stay on topic: Ned giving Cersei a heads up. Idiot.

N

Why did Oberyn get so close to Gregor? I know he wanted a confession, but he couldn't have obtained one from a spear's length away?

You are right, of course. The spear was broken at that time but he could have stayed at max range of Gregor's great sword. Or he could have hacked some at his feet to loosen Gregor's tounge.

ETA: Robb should not have morphed into a wolf and attacked the Freys. :P

What I like about the series is that while yes, characters make mistakes (some of them terrible), and very often at that, those mistakes make sense for the characters: Ned gave Cersei a heads up because they both love their children - and that's just about the only common ground they've got - and because he is ultimately a good man who's too noble for his own good. Tactically a bad move? Definitively. But it would have been OOC if he hadn't.

Tywin is a phenomenal strategist but he's also a Lannister, and we all know that pride and arrogance is their downfall; of course he'd initially underestimate young Robb.

Remember when Sansa disobeyed her father, left the tower of the hand, and went to Cersei with her father's plans thereby resulting in the death of Ned's entourage and her own capture? That might have been a mistake.

This isn't probably mistake but I wonder why Tywin didn't go to Robert when was Tyrion kidnapped. He could say that Ned broke King's peace, etc and insisted on Ned's resignation as Hand. He could have Tyrion back plus probably some gold, reputation of house Stark would be tarnished and position of Hand would be empty. He could IMO gain more positives from this scenario than his war againts Riverlands and WOT5K.

When Joffrey said, "Bring me his head" to Payne and made him chop off Ned's head. Bad move. He could've kept Ned as a hostage for Tyrion, for god's sake. Or even after Tyrion got released, Jaime was captured by Robb, and they could've traded Ned for Jaime. They had three hostages to begin with; Arya, Sansa and Ned. They ended up with only one left. Dumb Lannisters. Cersei should've tried harder to stop the execution. Instead she says to Joffrey, "Stop this" (in the tv show) and just stands idly by while Ned's head rolls away.

Archived