The Starks Lack of Common Knowledge (Is it just me?)

the Houndini

He wouldn't have been thrown if he wasn't climbing. :rolleyes:

Also, Ned allowed his sons to train with swords. Those things are sharp and somebody might get hurt. And riding horses? I can't tell you how many horseback riding accidents occurred in Westeros every year. And what's with letting them have a glass of wine at feasts? I'm not even sure that Sansa's needlepoint was safe without the proper tetanus precautions.

• 2 weeks later...

Except for the whole deal with Tyrion and the one with Jaime, Catelyn is alot more levelheaded and reasonable than most characters in most situations.

IIRC in aGoT, she says that she loves Bran more than her other children before proceeding to ignore and later abandon her 3 year old son, causing serious psychological damage to Rickon. Most of her later decisions are quite rash and she seems to be very tunnel minded about getting the girls back without attempting to see the bigger picture. I see no reason whatsoever to view her as levelheaded or reasonable.

In reading the books, it's fairly obvious to me that Ned is an excellent father to his children, including his daughters. In a time when girls are basically considered useless other than forging alliances and enlarging territories, Ned talks to both Sansa and Arya and actually listens to them. Their happiness is important to him. His procuring a sword master for Arya show this more than anything; how many fathers in Westeros would do this for their daughters?

Don't say that! Call him a bastard, say bad things about him! Anything to stop making me miss him :'-(

On a more sane note... yeah it does seem they lack this knowledge, but remember Bran is just a kid, barley into his teens, hell, he probably hasn't heard the story because he's never asked. Eddard might be as good as dads get in Westeros, but he's not one to tell bed-time stories either. Robb/Jon has probably heard it, hell maybe even Sansa and Arya.

As for Jon's heritage... Ned promised Lyanna. And to get Ned to stain his honour for one second is like trying to tell Hot Pie to go on a diet.

Also, Ned allowed his sons to train with swords. Those things are sharp and somebody might get hurt. And riding horses? I can't tell you how many horseback riding accidents occurred in Westeros every year. And what's with letting them have a glass of wine at feasts? I'm not even sure that Sansa's needlepoint was safe without the proper tetanus precautions.

Meh. Medieval society. Now kids just do drugs and join gangs or stay in the internet to troll.

In a way, the Northmen do sort of lack knowledge. They are the kingdom that is least connected to any of the others. None of the Stark children were sent off to be fostered. They don't have any close neighboring kingdoms that they would interact with regularly (it is said how the Tullys barely know Cat's children).

By contrast, all the other kingdoms have another culture on their doorstep.

IIRC in aGoT, she says that she loves Bran more than her other children before proceeding to ignore and later abandon her 3 year old son, causing serious psychological damage to Rickon. Most of her later decisions are quite rash and she seems to be very tunnel minded about getting the girls back without attempting to see the bigger picture. I see no reason whatsoever to view her as levelheaded or reasonable.

Can you elaborate on this? I dont think Rickon was terribly "damaged" by Cat's behaviour at all...

In a way, the Northmen do sort of lack knowledge. They are the kingdom that is least connected to any of the others. None of the Stark children were sent off to be fostered. They don't have any close neighboring kingdoms that they would interact with regularly (it is said how the Tullys barely know Cat's children).

By contrast, all the other kingdoms have another culture on their doorstep.

I would have to agree, I also thought it strange that the children had never met some of their closer relatives. I can't off the top of my head remember exactly which book it was from but it blew my mind when it was said that Brynden would not recognize Arya. For someone as close to Cat as they made Brynden out to be you would think that sooner or later he would have come to visit.

Archived