The Starks Lack of Common Knowledge (Is it just me?)

the Houndini

BASICALLY NED STARK WAS A TERRIBLE FATHER

I can think of two instances where Stark children come across another child who not only seems to have more insight into the Stark's family history, but in both instances the person telling the story is utterly SHOCKED that the Stark children have no idea about the story they're being told.

1. Edric Dayne meeting Arya and telling her about Jon Snow. Explaining that they were Milk Bros. Of course before any new juicy bits of the story can be revealed, they are interrupted and we never get the end of the story. It seemed that (possibly) Edric even knew who Jon's mother might be. (As if it was common knowledge) And it didnt seem like it was Wylla or Ashara, otherwise he would have said that he and Jon were cousins or that Jons birthmother was his wet nurse. Not simply Milk Brothers... Edric does seem to be under the impression that Jon was Ned Starks son. (Dunno what that means for R+L=J)

At least this leaves us with the possibility that people at Starfall also have this "common" knowledge so WE JUST NEED TO MEET SOME OF THEM!!!

2. When Jojen and Meera Reed tell the story of the Knight of the Laughing Tree to Bran. As i recall they both couldn't believe that Bran had never heard this story either. And they seem to have information about Rhaegar and Lyanna but only say "that is an even sadder story" and never get to tell it because they are attacked. (I think)

Am i wrong? Am i missing something?

WHY DONT THE STARKS KNOW ANY OF THIS? IT WOULD HAVE SAVED WESTEROS A WHOLE LOT OF TROUBLE/WARS/DEATH AND MADE MY LIFE SO MUCH EASIER!!!!

I wouldn't call any of that common knowledge. And everybody in Westeros seems content to go along with Robert Baratheon's convenient version of the Rhaegar/Lyanna debacle: the Mad King's son kidnapped his betrothed and killed her for no apparent reason. Otherwise, Robert looks like a fool and Lyanna shames House Stark.

Also, I'm not sure if we see any better examples of a good parent than Ned Stark. The Stark kids aren't perfect but I think most of their shortcomings (including Jon's) can be blamed on Catelyn Tully.

If you read the forums, you'll find that most likely, Jon is Rhaegar and Lyanna's son. Ned promised Lyanna he would take care on Jon, and part of that entails keeping quiet any kind of proof of that, which is he doesn't tell Jon "who his mother is" or his children the story of the Knight of the Laughing Tree.

In reading the books, it's fairly obvious to me that Ned is an excellent father to his children, including his daughters. In a time when girls are basically considered useless other than forging alliances and enlarging territories, Ned talks to both Sansa and Arya and actually listens to them. Their happiness is important to him. His procuring a sword master for Arya show this more than anything; how many fathers in Westeros would do this for their daughters?

Brienne's father arranges 3 or 4 suitors for her and does not approve of her choice to be a knight, but I do think he loves her. In aFfC she reflects on how happy she would make him if she would go home, get married, and have children. You can tell that she's a bit sad that she can't give this to him.

Also, I'm not sure if we see any better examples of a good parent than Ned Stark. The Stark kids aren't perfect but I think most of their shortcomings (including Jon's) can be blamed on Catelyn Tully.

Of course, that's her role, to be blamed for everything wrong in ASOIF.

Ned was a perfect parent on the other hand.Just looked how he dealt with Bran's climbing - " If you must climb, then climb, but try not to let your mother see you.”. Fantastic advice for your 6 year old who's risking his life every day.

Of course, that's her role, to be blamed for everything wrong in ASOIF.

Ned was a perfect parent on the other hand.Just looked how he dealt with Bran's climbing - " If you must climb, then climb, but try not to let your mother see you.”. Fantastic advice for your 6 year old who's risking his life every day.

yea god forbid kids ever do anything dangerous ever. Lets lock em up in little bubbles, that'll work!

yea god forbid kids ever do anything dangerous ever. Lets lock em up in little bubbles, that'll work!

I think you're taking it a bit far. Its a different thing to risk some scraps or an twisted ankle as opposed to risk your life.

I just caught this (thank you, David Selig) and have to ask...How on earth do you blame Cat for perceived shortcomings of the Stark children and Jon Snow, and what exactly are these shortcomings?

I don't think there's anything wrong with the way Ned handled it. Unless they locked Bran up, they weren't going to stop him from climbing things.

He couldn't have said "stop climbing" or "go climb trees instead"? Ned made Cat look like the villain, but it's perfectly predictable that if you climb enough 300 year old towers (how many stories were some of them? didn't Bran say he climbed some places where he could see all of Winterfell? that's pretty damn high), you're bound to get your brains spilled on the floor sometime. Notice how nobody was surprised that Bran fell from the building, because it was definitely to be expected. And here we have another example of "things that could have been avoided if people listened to Cat".

He couldn't have said "stop climbing" or "go climb trees instead"? Ned made Cat look like the villain, but it's perfectly predictable that if you climb enough 300 year old towers (how many stories were some of them? didn't Bran say he climbed some places where he could see all of Winterfell? that's pretty damn high), you're bound to get your brains spilled on the floor sometime. Notice how nobody was surprised that Bran fell from the building, because it was definitely to be expected. And here we have another example of "things that could have been avoided if people listened to Cat".

Kind of agrees with this. Except for the whole deal with Tyrion and the one with Jaime Catelyn is alot more levelheaded and reasonable than most characters in most situations.

I think you're taking it a bit far. Its a different thing to risk some scraps or an twisted ankle as opposed to risk your life.

its a different era. Even my dad's generation did a lot of things that were extremely dangerous pretty frequently. Bran's not going to stop climbing, and if he doesn't happen across Jaime and Cersei getting it on, he likely never falls. Its not like climbing isn't a valuable skill.

its a different era. Even my dad's generation did a lot of things that were extremely dangerous pretty frequently. Bran's not going to stop climbing, and if he doesn't happen across Jaime and Cersei getting it on, he likely never falls. Its not like climbing isn't a valuable skill.

Dangerous as in "could get hurt" or dangerous as in "more likely to die than survive"?

Never, eh? Unless there's a loose stone, or some moss that makes it slippery, or a spider climbs on his hand and he gets scared and tries to shake it off, or a bird startles him, or his foot slips, or he gets dizzy, or it starts raining, or he gets a cramp, or...

I mean, he isn't Spider-Man. He thinks he's never going to fall because he's seven. But even he thought he had fallen, it's not like he woke up from his coma and thought "there's absolutely no way I fell, impossible, must have been some witchcraft".

Dangerous as in "could get hurt" or dangerous as in "more likely to die than survive"?

dangerous as in he could have gotten hurt. I doubt Ned Stark exactly how high Bran was climbing.

Never, eh? Unless there's a loose stone, or some moss that makes it slippery, or a spider climbs on his hand and he gets scared and tries to shake it off, or a bird startles him, or his foot slips, or he gets dizzy, or it starts raining, or he gets a cramp, or...

I mean, he isn't Spider-Man. He thinks he's never going to fall because he's seven. But even he thought he had fallen, it's not like he woke up from his coma and thought "there's absolutely no way I fell, impossible, must have been some witchcraft".

He's shown in the books as recovering from these type of situations or not being affected by them. Clearly, Bran Stark isn't spiderman, but the starks are magical.

He's shown in the books as recovering from these type of situations or not being affected by them. Clearly, Bran Stark isn't spiderman, but the starks are magical.

They aren't magical, just as the Targs aren't fire and disease proof. The Starks are wargs, that's the extent of their superpowers.

Archived