Cat and Brienne (Spoilers)

Faceless_One

Is anyone else annoyed and as frustrated as me with Cat? It bothered me when Cat really didn't even hear out Brienne and dismissed what she WAS allowed to say. How would Cat even know if Brienne found or didn't find Sansa anyways because Cat died and had no way of knowing if she found her or not. I don;'t know I guess it just bothered me that Brienne was extremely determined to find Sansa but Cat basically wanted her dead the moment she saw her. Thoughts?

I wouldn't say i was annoyed. I was just very disappointed. I also agree with Karasu. You cant expect her to be the same. She is only driven by her grief. Which is understandable considering she thinks she has lost all of her children. (She knows one was killed and believes two are dead as well and is unaware of the status of the other two) She also lost her husband.

Yes, that frustrated me as well. But you have to remember that this is no longer Catelyn Stark, but a souless body fueled only by revenge for her lost son.

I disagree. I think she is precisely what Catelyn Stark really was deep down all along. Aside from the whole bit about being undead ;), Lady Stoneheart's behavior with Brienne is almost identical to Catelyn's behavior with Tyrion in GoT. She jumps to a conclusion of guilt without bothering to consider any other possibility, and she bases her conclusion on the slimmest of evidence.

Basically, I think Catelyn's story arc provides a considerable amount of precedent for Lady Stoneheart's behavior with Brienne.

Considering the end of the final Brienne chapter in AFFC I'm pretty curious to see what will be revealed in the next Brienne chapter in later books. Because from the ending of the chapter I think it's pretty obvious that there will be another

I disagree. I think she is precisely what Catelyn Stark really was deep down all along. Aside from the whole bit about being undead ;), Lady Stoneheart's behavior with Brienne is almost identical to Catelyn's behavior with Tyrion in GoT. She jumps to a conclusion of guilt without bothering to consider any other possibility, and she bases her conclusion on the slimmest of evidence.

Basically, I think Catelyn's story arc provides a considerable amount of precedent for Lady Stoneheart's behavior with Brienne.

But Catelyn and Brienne had a good relationship prior to Cat sending Brienne on the road with Jaime, which is totally different from the situation with Tyrion in GoT. I guess I hoped for mercy. Those last 2 Brienne chapters were horrifying, imo. Much more upsetting to me than the Red Wedding, even. Biter gives me the shivers. I'm dying to find out what word she called out at the end!

She jumps to a conclusion of guilt without bothering to consider any other possibility, and she bases her conclusion on the slimmest of evidence.
While I agree Catelyn didn't change that much (She has said multiple times that she wanted a lot of people dead, over the course of the books), just like Arya killing people now doesn't make her that different from what she was before her father's death, I have to take exception to this:

Catelyn never jumped to a conclusion of guilt without considering any other possibility regarding Tyrion: she only captured him after the singer busted her disguise, she kept him so he could be tried before the king, she didn't try him herself, and she had multiple corroborating pieces of evidence pointing at a Lannister plot to back her suspicions.

Compared to that, Brienne's situation was totally different: it was a trial, which Tyrion's capture was not, Brienne was allowed to present her defence, and she did, and then the incriminating evidence was evaluated (namely: a sword worth a king's ransom, that Tywin tried to have all his life, a safe conduct from the king's hand, a Tarly knight -one of those who are hanging the BwB guys at the moment-, a Lannister's squire, a dogged attempt to protect Jaime Lannister -a complicit in the Red Wedding and attempted murderer of both Bran and Ned-, and a refusal to follow order from the one she swore alliegeance to.) Really, what else do you want and can you get as evidence? Mind reading?

I expect you despise Arya for her murders, and would like any Stark to let Freys or Boltons or Spicers go, in similar circumstances, because working with Lannisters, getting huge rewards from them, ordering Lannister men around, and protecting murderers is obviously not enough evidence. heh?

Archived