"When the Sun Rises in the West" -More to this than we assume?

Damon_Tor

I think Mirri was talking literally with the 'sun rises in the west' part of her little riddle. Nobody fully understands the astrological situation surrounding Georges World, and it's folly to assume the related rules are the same as here on Earth.

There has been direct clues about Danys fate - given around the time of the HotU.

The common understanding of Mirri Maz Duur's last defiant speech to Daenarys is "It will never happen." because while seas may go dry, mountains may crumble, the sun can never rise in the West.

Right?

Well I'm not sure about that.

The Planet in ASOIAF does not have a stable axial tilt, as evidenced by the unpredictable seasons. The planet "wobbles" as it orbits the sun, though we can only speculate as to why. The long winter of legend was said to be a night that lasted a generation, which would mean that the north pole of the planet was facing away from the sun at a signifigant angle, and that the planet had a "rolling" orbit for a while (much like Uranus in out own solar system) but then righted itself by whatever mysterious/mystical force causes this phenomenon.

Now, with this insability in mind, there's ro reason why the whole planet couldn't flip upside down after a long winter: instead of the axis tipping back the way it had been the previous summer, it would continue its turn and emerge in a totally new position, where the South pole is where the North pole was before. Thus, with the planet so inverted, the planet would continue to spin normally (it wouldn't have to stop and reverse directions, with all the catestrophic implications of such an event) but the sun would rise in what was then the West.

So the whole "science" thingy I see you doing there with trying to figure out the tilt of the planet and what not based on the seasons just doesn't work. Martin has stated that the seasons in ASoIaF, regarding the long winters/summers has to do with magic, not axial tiltage.

So the whole "science" thingy I see you doing there with trying to figure out the tilt of the planet and what not based on the seasons just doesn't work. Martin has stated that the seasons in ASoIaF, regarding the long winters/summers has to do with magic, not axial tiltage.

I was going to say this. Any theory based on astronomics loses points with me because GRRM has explicitly stated that you can use hard science to explain things in aSoIaF. Quoting: "It's magic, man".

And I don't think MMD's was prophecizing anything. It just seemed as the Lhazarene equivalent of "when pigs fly".

When the valonquar wraps his hands around Cerseis pale neck, he will turn around to you and say,

"I'm a just man, everyone says so, and i have to disagree"

of course Cersei will die. But when we realize who it is, we try to fit the prophecy story in it. If it is Stannis, we can say hey he is a Valonqar to Robert. If it is Tyrion/Jaime to her. If it is Tommen to Joffrey. etc. If it is Arya, we say Jon Snow treats her like a little brother. Or if its some random girl, we say maybe we mistranslated what Valonqar is.

Don't even get me started on MMDs prophecies some here has already mentioned different things and trying to fit every crumb on their meal or AA for that matter. Of course a hero has to arise in a certain crisis of life and death. Of course their has to be some sacrifice of some sort. Of course you need some weapon against a superior force.

And lets take a look on people who looked into this prophecies.

Rhaegar too obsessive on his prophecies. Verdict: Borderline Loony

Cersei. Loony send her to Arkham

Dany T. Oh my god run to the hills that girl is loony.

There's speculation that it's not abut Drogo coming back, but about Dany going to meet him. As in, kicking the bucket herself.

But, you know, that might not be the end of all, as this prophecy fortells Dany bearing a living child. So she'd have an heir. That might not actually be a bad way for her storyline to end--knowing her child would carry on her legacy as Drogo carries her off into the skies. There's worse ways to die.

But, you know, that might not be the end of all, as this prophecy fortells Dany bearing a living child. So she'd have an heir. That might not actually be a bad way for her storyline to end--knowing her child would carry on her legacy as Drogo carries her off into the skies. There's worse ways to die.

Yeah. Like, burning to death.

I never thought that Mirri's "prophesy" meant anything. Dany only thinks she is barren and that works to her advantage in certain sense because she has nothing to lose. I found it very interesting when Dany was with Drogon in the sea and she started her period, she thought to herself 'when was the last time I had one?' I think that the stress of the blood magic she performed in book 1 affected her short-term by halting her periods/fertility. By leaving with Drogon, she has started to move in the direction she needs to (whatever that proves to be) and as such will regain her fertility and be able to bear children with her future husbands. I will be really upset if the three heads of the dragon are a barren Dany, her husband, and another wife to bear heirs.

I was not aware of the theory of Quenten being the rising sun, but I like it, and the timing works out to be about the same as what I thought.

Dany has had her period since her pregnancy, but she hadn't had it recently. The most common theory is that Daario got her pregnant and she ate "berries that did not poison her," which were most likely moon berries. Moon berries are used to make moon tea, and the berries acted as a contraceptive giving her a miscarriage.

of course Cersei will die. But when we realize who it is, we try to fit the prophecy story in it. If it is Stannis, we can say hey he is a Valonqar to Robert. If it is Tyrion/Jaime to her. If it is Tommen to Joffrey. etc. If it is Arya, we say Jon Snow treats her like a little brother. Or if its some random girl, we say maybe we mistranslated what Valonqar is.

Don't even get me started on MMDs prophecies some here has already mentioned different things and trying to fit every crumb on their meal or AA for that matter. Of course a hero has to arise in a certain crisis of life and death. Of course their has to be some sacrifice of some sort. Of course you need some weapon against a superior force.

And lets take a look on people who looked into this prophecies.

Rhaegar too obsessive on his prophecies. Verdict: Borderline Loony

Cersei. Loony send her to Arkham

Dany T. Oh my god run to the hills that girl is loony.

The Valonqar is Tyrion or Jaime. Book it.

The Valonqar is Tyrion or Jaime. Book it.

Can you honestly say it was the prophecy that killed Cersei? Or was it her craziness that made her brothers want to kill her? Whatever the case of who kills her it didn't became true because Maggie the Frog foretold so. It was the case of her being crazy and 99.99% of the realm want to put their hands on her neck.

Can you honestly say it was the prophecy that killed Cersei? Or was it her craziness that made her brothers want to kill her? Whatever the case of who kills her it didn't became true because Maggie the Frog foretold so. It was the case of her being crazy and 99.99% of the realm want to put their hands on her neck.

Yes, Cersei is self-fulfilling her prophecies, I think everyone gets that. Doesn't change the fact that it is going to be either Tyrion or Jaime. Book it. (To quote Naathi Prince).

Yes, Cersei is self-fulfilling her prophecies, I think everyone gets that. Doesn't change the fact that it is going to be either Tyrion or Jaime. Book it. (To quote Naathi Prince).

that is why I'm saying all these prophecies are hokum. you don't see any relatively sane people with prophecies of their own. You only have this crazy people who think about it all the time. thus self-fulfilling it.

not its not because of maggy the frog, thats not how prophecy works, its just the ability to observe things as they happen. I don't know how you can wholly discount prophecy given whats going on with Bran and Jojen Reed.

that is why I'm saying all these prophecies are hokum. you don't see any relatively sane people with prophecies of their own. You only have this crazy people who think about it all the time. thus self-fulfilling it.

The Ghost of High Heart seems to be pretty spot on. And the people she prophecises about don't even know that they are part of her prophecies, therefore they can not be self-fulfilling them.

The Ghost of High Heart seems to be pretty spot on. And the people she prophecises about don't even know that they are part of her prophecies, therefore they can not be self-fulfilling them.

or hell, Patchface who predicted the Red Wedding.

Archived