theories on what will happen to little king tommen.

lord mutton

Tywin didn't care about Stannis letters, he only wanted Cersei to remarry so that she would leave King's Landing. Tywin didn't want Tommen to turn out as bad as Joffrey and Cersei was also messing up a lot of things politically for the Lannisters.

A bunch of ragtag knights and peasants defeating the Tyrells and Lannisters? Yeah, right...

The Lannisters have no power in Kings Landing they have no power anywhere except a small host in the Riverlands. They will never have power again till a Lannister goes and calls the banners again. the only power is the Tyrell forces brought back to the capital because of margarey being arrested. Were they to leave the Faith Militant could be a significant force and probably capable of defeating the gold cloaks who are not a force of Knights but guards.

This has been the number one thought on my mind since my most recent re-read of all the books. I've been wondering the same thing. In contrast to the OP, I think that whatever happens to Tommen will occur as a result of the Cersei's trial or treachery (poisoning, smothered, etc).

I do believe that Tommen will die, and that he will die before Cersei. This belief is due to the prophecy that Cersei fears so much.

My favorite speculative theory of the week is: The Tyrells make a pact with Aegon, promising Margaery and support, and have Tommen killed in some way. I have trouble believing Cersei's champion is going to lose the trial by combat (as much as I hope she will).

In my own little fantasy land, Robert Strong is defeated, Cersei is beheaded, Tommen and Myrcella are declared bastards, the High Sparrow declares that the Tyrells and Martells may annul the marriages as a result, and the Lannister fall from power is complete. To stay in line with the prophecy, Tommen dies the night before Cersei's executed. Not gonna happen that way, but hey, one can hope!

Also, I read somewhere that JC is intent on killing off the entire line. It's possible that Dany may have the same intentions, although I find her a tad gentler soul than JC. I don't have any doubt that Stannis will kill Tommen, but I have doubts Stannis will ever get the chance to.

Could Cersei kill Tommen? It's not what I would want for either character, but if Cersei's paranoia spirals out of control, she may kill him either to protect him from a 'worse death' or because she believes he has betrayed her. If GRRM was being particularly evil, he would pick the latter. Tommen could well turn to the Tyrells, the Tyrells could continue to use him as their puppet for power, Cersei would lose control and watch as her child turns against her ... then in a fit of madness, does away with him. Mycrella in the meantime gets killed down in Dorne. Jaime returns and kills Cersei out of vengeance for Tommen ... viola, prophecy fulfilled. I would not like it, but hey ho.

Not directly, but I can see Tommen getting killed inadvertently due to one of her schemes gone awry - for which she, of course, would blame the Tyrells.

In light of the prophecy, Tommen is likely to die. The death will probably take place in TWOW and has various scenarios as to how it can happen. Tommen might be killed by one of Aegon's commanders. Jon Connington sounded as if he was willing to consider that option and many of the Golden Company captains might be quite willing to do so if Connington would not. The Sand Snakes present another option as well.

In more seriousness, I still don't see why the prophecy means Tommen and Myrcella have to die. One of the entire points of this series is how unreliable prophecy is. It seems much likelier to me that GRRM is unlikely to have both of them die (maybe one of them will) specifically in order to remind us of that fact, and to demonstrate the irony that Cercei has allowed the words of some sort of crazy random chick from Volantis (a lesson for D & D!!! Never trust a crazy random chick from Volantis) to completely taint her life and yet they weren't even right, in the end. I also think it may be significant that Tywin, Joffrey and Cercei are all present in Jaime's weirwood stump dream but NOT Tommen and Myrcella.

I'm surprised that people think that somehow Tommen and Myrcella will survive. "Gold shall be their crowns and gold their shrouds." The children would have gold shrouds if they were buried as Baratheons, or, perhaps, if someone placed their bodies before King Stannis wrapped in Baratheon cloaks.

I don't understand why people think that Stannis wouldn't kill the children, either. This is the guy who seriously thought about burning his nephew to death to hatch dragons out of stone, for Pete's sake. He also hates the Lannisters, and what are those kids but Lannisters squared. If they fall into Stannis' hands I think they're toast, literally.

I don't see Aegon, or more important, Jon Connington, being any more merciful. In fact I think Tommen and Myrcella might become victims of symmetry: their grandfather killed a Targaryen princess and a Targaryen (or not) prince, so a man loyal to the Targaryens is going to kill a Lannister princess and prince. This assumes that Myrcella even makes it out of Dorne alive.

However I think Tommen's greatest danger might come from the Tyrells. They've already shown themselves capable of killing one prince, if they see the tide turning toward Aegon, Stannis or Dany, what's it to them to kill another one to get on the winning side?

Could a cat kill a boy? Perhaps with cat scratch fever or toxoplasmosis, if Tommen has a compromised immune system, or perhaps with tetanus or rabies from a bite. The cat might be carrying plague-infested fleas. Kitty might also crawl on Tommen's chest while the boy is sleeping and suck out his breath, killing him. Just kidding. Not so kidding -- kitty gets himself tangled in Tommen's legs when the prince is at the top of the stairs, Tommen trips, falls down the stairs, breaks his neck, and dies. Kitty rushes at Tommen's pony, the pony spooks, throws Tommen, who breaks his neck and dies.

Yeah, beware of teh kittehs.

Could Cersei kill Tommen? It's not what I would want for either character, but if Cersei's paranoia spirals out of control, she may kill him either to protect him from a 'worse death' or because she believes he has betrayed her. If GRRM was being particularly evil, he would pick the latter. Tommen could well turn to the Tyrells, the Tyrells could continue to use him as their puppet for power, Cersei would lose control and watch as her child turns against her ... then in a fit of madness, does away with him. Mycrella in the meantime gets killed down in Dorne. Jaime returns and kills Cersei out of vengeance for Tommen ... viola, prophecy fulfilled. I would not like it, but hey ho.

Well...given the producers know the ending and only have so much time to tell the tale...I know HBO isn't canon, but perhaps there was something tell-tale in the scene where Cersei is about to have Tommen drink poison...which never happened in books.

Just saying.

I also think it may be significant that Tywin, Joffrey and Cercei are all present in Jaime's weirwood stump dream but NOT Tommen and Myrcella.

I think that is because they are not dead yet or "soon-to-die" at that point of time. I know it's pure speculation, and I concur that prophecies are only prophecies in the end (somewhat unreliable). BUT... I personally would put my money on the Mag the Frog's prophecy. I would be surprised if it doesn't occur (Cersei's children pass away before her, her little brother strangles her)

I think that is because they are not dead yet or "soon-to-die" at that point of time.

Neither is Cercei. So the fact that she is grouped with Tywin and Joffrey, who are soon to die, but Tommen and Myrcella are not, indicates to me that she will be the next one to die, not them.

Tywin didn't care about Stannis letters, he only wanted Cersei to remarry so that she would leave King's Landing. Tywin didn't want Tommen to turn out as bad as Joffrey and Cersei was also messing up a lot of things politically for the Lannisters.

A bunch of ragtag knights and peasants defeating the Tyrells and Lannisters? Yeah, right...

As we last saw the court, there were Lannister guards on one side at Tyrell guards on the other. The 'ragtag' Faith is organizing and will most like have the Flea Bottom (and other KL residents) denizens rebelling. Against the warring Lannister and Tyrell troups. This is the mayhem that will lead to Tommen's death. Remember the day Myrcella left for Dorne...foreshadowing?

The common folk opinion do not matter. Besides, the commoners will believe anything, some even believed that Robb turned into a wolf before the Freys were forced to put him down. If someone told them Tommen is a Baratheon, they will believe it to be true.

Exactly.

However, the 'commoners' hear many things. The people of King's Landing represent human nature. It moves at a whim. Look at the concept of 'celebrity' in our day. We 'commoners' determine who is popular and makes money.

Prophecy: So far everything Maggy has predicted has come true, presuming there are 8 Robert bastards out there that Varys hasnt found. Also blood magic is said to be the most powerful. So there's prophecy and prophecy. It could technically be that Tommen and Myrcella are disguised in shrouds and Cersei is told they are dead and then they are whisked away for some other purpose - and then Cersei is strangled by someone who is the little brother of someone. So he might get away.

Exactly.

However, the 'commoners' hear many things. The people of King's Landing represent human nature. It moves at a whim. Look at the concept of 'celebrity' in our day. We 'commoners' determine who is popular and makes money.

Why are you comparing a fantasy medieval age to the 21th century? The common folks do not decide who is popular or who makes money; the nobles do.

Honestly, the more I read this thread the more sure I feel that at least one thing from the prophecy will not happen. Not because of anything people are saying that I disagree with so much as thinking about the topic makes me feel like that is just not how GRRM rolls.

As we last saw the court, there were Lannister guards on one side at Tyrell guards on the other. The 'ragtag' Faith is organizing and will most like have the Flea Bottom (and other KL residents) denizens rebelling. Against the warring Lannister and Tyrell troups. This is the mayhem that will lead to Tommen's death. Remember the day Myrcella left for Dorne...foreshadowing?

Ser Robert Strong will slaughter Lancel and all his rugrats, if they ever should dare rebel against the Iron Throne.

Archived