The Perfect Knight

Mad Madam Mim

Brienne. Period. (EDIT: Davos as well, coming to think on it. The Seven brought him back, is that not clue enough :drunk:)

Well, unless we start thinking on grounds of minor characters as well. Why not Ser Cortnay Penrose as well? He has committed no atrocities we know of, and was loyal to his liege lord Renly even after his death. Plus he would not surrender Edric Storm to Stannis.

Ned would count as a true knight as well I guess... if he were a southron suckling babe instead of a northman :drunk:

Protect the innocent or die trying... Ned chose no. 2 I guess, by not involving Cersei's sons in the fray as Renly suggested.

Why not Yohn Royce, say?

None of Aerys' Kingsguard can count as true knights to me. That includes Jaime, though for different reasons (Bran anyone?).

@Queen Cersei I

Robert didn't kill children that was Tywin's work.

Perfect knights:

Ser Arthur Dayne

Ser Duncan the Tall and his possible descendant Brienne

Prince Baelor Breakspear

:agree:, but I would put Dunk at the top of that list.

Ser Brynden Tully, The Blackfish.

A knight of renown who seems to be:

A Capable Fighter - Mostly by reputation (including Jaime's high regard for him) as this is not really seen in the series that I can recall, although he easily hits Hoster's funeral boat.

Seasoned Commander - Again by reputation, although positions as Knight of the Gate and Robb's right hand man support this though.

Man of Conscience/Loyalty - Kind to the Tully children and Littlefinger. Seems to balance morality and loyalty more than most knights, as evidenced when he resigned as Knight of the Gate to support the Tullys.

I can't really think of any points against him.

Well if Rhaegar was planning to overthrow his father, then Dayne was probably involved.

So Jaime figures oaths can sometimes contradict? You really think Jaime was the only one to figure that out, and that excuses the fact that he's still doing bad things? Men like Baelor and Davos are hardly unthinking brutes.

I sure hope you are not saying Davos Seaworth is a knight? The man is a smuggler and never considered himself otherwise.. Baelor was a prince who only knew the idea of a knight, he did not know how it felt to be one, what oaths truly conflicted and the life that goes with it.

Jaime is the only 'knight' of wich we know he actually had a grasp of things and I'm basing my decision on that knowledge.

Holy baloney, I forgot Ser Edmure Tully!

He defeats Tywin Lannister in battle.

He defends his lands with tenacity.

And he lets his people get inside the castle of Riverrun in the eve of the Battle of the Red Fork, when most lords would have turned their backs on them.

Lemony lemony lemoncakes, he is a true knight ^_^

EDIT: Davos is knighted, therefore he is a knight, and has more honour than most ^_^

I sure hope you are not saying Davos Seaworth is a knight? The man is a smuggler and never considered himself otherwise..

He was a knight for 14 years. He faced a decision between obeying his king and protecting a boy, and made a choice.

Baelor was a prince who only knew the idea of a knight, he did not know how it felt to be one, what oaths truly conflicted and the life that goes with it.

Utter bullshit. As for conflicts, he had to choose between supporting his family and supporting who he believed to be right, and died for that choice.

Jaime is the only 'knight' of wich we know he actually had a grasp of things and I'm basing my decision on that knowledge.

So you think that knowledge is more important than the choices made because of that.

The ability to make them... a knight who blindly follows and does so with great skill is still just a knight.

And a Crown prince, even one that may have achieved knighthood, is not to be compared to any other knight. Baelor was a commander at least, but never can one say he was just a knight.

You could argue the same with Jaime Lannister but he is also a member of the Kingsguard and is supposed to have severed those ties.

I'm Surprised nobody has mentioned Garlen Tyrell. Hes just as skilled a fighter as his younger brother Loras but he is a humble guy who has no interest in glory. Hes one of the handful of people who is actually kind to Tyrion and acknowledged how effective his wildfire was in the battle Blackwater.

I'm Surprised nobody has mentioned Garlen Tyrell. Hes just as skilled a fighter as his younger brother Loras but he is a humble guy who has no interest in glory. Hes one of the handful of people who is actually kind to Tyrion and acknowledged how effective his wildfire was in the battle Blackwater.

None of that makes him a knight. And we don't know him at all. A lot of knights are perfectly courteous formally. Hell, Joffrey was a perfect charmer to Sansa in the beginning. And Garlan can talk the talk. Whether or not he can walk the walk is unconfirmed.

The ability to make them... a knight who blindly follows and does so with great skill is still just a knight.

And a Crown prince, even one that may have achieved knighthood, is not to be compared to any other knight. Baelor was a commander at least, but never can one say he was just a knight.

You could argue the same with Jaime Lannister but he is also a member of the Kingsguard and is supposed to have severed those ties.

Nobody except a wandering friendless hedge knight is just a knight.

... yeah, while he framed Tyrion for Joff's murder...

Seriously, how come so many people like Garlan for 'being kind to Tyrion' considering he screwed the Imp so magnificently?

Well it depends on how we would define a "perfect knight". Going off of the vows provided to us by the Dunk & Egg story then Ser Duncan the Tall and Prince Baelor Breakspear would have to be the closest things to the perfect knight (not buying the argument that Breakspear wasn't a knight). Dunk has remained true to his vows. Breakspear sacrificed everything to defend Dunk and to fight for what was right. I'm still not sure about Brienne simply because I think that the BwB storyline could force her to make moral decisions that she hasn't faced yet. But so far in she's pretty damn close to the perfect knight.

Jaime did the right thing by shoving his sword in Arey's back but he also pushed Bran out of a window. He's far from the perfect knight.

I personally find knights who forsake their vows and honor in obeying their king or lords commands to be repulsive. That includes the Kingsguard who I think have shit for honor.

I guess by one defintion The Mountain is arguably a perfect knight. He is strong, skilled at arms, loyal and brave, he does what he is told without questioning etc. All the things that a Lord might look for (and want) in a knight. Now of course this is ignoring the "protect the innocents" bit etc and yet, that knights should protect the smallfolk and those not able to defend themselves is of course an ideal thats seldom achieved. So by perhaps the more realistic version a man such as Gregor can be considered the perfect knight, while the other is the much more appealing yet probably unrealistic version headed by Brienne.

I guess by one defintion The Mountain is arguably a perfect knight. He is strong, skilled at arms, loyal and brave, he does what he is told without questioning etc. All the things that a Lord might look for (and want) in a knight. Now of course this is ignoring the "protect the innocents" bit etc and yet, that knights should protect the smallfolk and those not able to defend themselves is of course an ideal thats seldom achieved. So by perhaps the more realistic version a man such as Gregor can be considered the perfect knight, while the other is the much more appealing yet probably unrealistic version headed by Brienne.

I'd rather argue that Gregor is the perfect soldier, but he really makes a mockery of everything knighthood is supposed to stand for.

For that knight is dark, and full of terrors.

Brienne. Period. (EDIT: Davos as well, coming to think on it. The Seven brought him back, is that not clue enough :drunk:)

Well, unless we start thinking on grounds of minor characters as well. Why not Ser Cortnay Penrose as well? He has committed no atrocities we know of, and was loyal to his liege lord Renly even after his death. Plus he would not surrender Edric Storm to Stannis.

Ned would count as a true knight as well I guess... if he were a southron suckling babe instead of a northman :drunk:

Protect the innocent or die trying... Ned chose no. 2 I guess, by not involving Cersei's sons in the fray as Renly suggested.

Why not Yohn Royce, say?

None of Aerys' Kingsguard can count as true knights to me. That includes Jaime, though for different reasons (Bran anyone?).

Yeah that incident with Bran definitely showed how low Jamie had stooped after slaying Aerys.

Archived