Bran annoys me.

Rolex Baratheon

His arc is boring when you think about it. GRRM was never too good at making his series' magic be interesting pre-ADWD (e.g: the art of making dragons boring), and Bran's story is an example of this.

Plus his personality can get annoying. He's like a black and white comic with no humour. He's so mild in the face of every single situation that it annoys me severely. Its like he had all the life and personality... bleached from him after his legs broke. Some may find this understandable but I don't, I want to see more of Arya in him.

Plus the whole "You. Will. FLY." storyline annoys me as much as the Azor Ahai/3 dragon heads/ Dany/Jon incest/Dany anything does.

I believe the mods are stopping these sorts of threads now, as there have been too many generic appreciation/hate threads for differenc characters.

As for the black and white stuff, he is a child, most children have very black and white views of the world, especially when they're under ten. Personally, I've always found Bran to be one of the most interesting characters and his POVs have been among my favorites from the start; I'm glad that he's not Arya.

Other than Arya though, which characters do you like? You don't like Dany at all, are you also saying that you don't like any of the Azor Ahai stuff, beacuse that is the impression I get from your last line.

I dislike the Azor Ahai stuff for reasons I will give in a different thread. And I dislike Dany because she bored the living day lights out of me and has no connection to the more interesting characters.

As for Bran, he may be a child but he has no life in him as compared to Arya or even Robb. Bleached is the word.

I dislike the Azor Ahai stuff for reasons I will give in a different thread. And I dislike Dany because she bored the living day lights out of me and has no connection to the more interesting characters.

As for Bran, he may be a child but he has no life in him as compared to Arya or even Robb. Bleached is the word.

Personally, that is what I like about Bran, he is quiet, observant, introspective and quite intelligent. He is written as a gentle soul, he wants to be a knight, but he never really thinks about it in violent terms or anything like that, he thinks about it in romantic terms. I also personally think that he would have made the best lord out of any of the Stark kids.

As for the Azor Ahai stuff, it does seem to be the actual central component of the series now...

Azor Ahai; I dislike it because its kind of very vague and because it implies total greatness for Danaerys, who has done nothing to earn it.

Unless Dany or the prophesy is a red herring.

Prophesies need to be vague otherwise they wouldn't be so confusing. If we knew what they meant they would be pointless, because they would tell you the story in shorthand.

I don't think the " you will fly" is said as much as the AA thing. There's a lot of characters obsessing with AA, although Bran thinks about the possibility of moving without Hodor I don't consider he obsessed with the idea.

And about his personality being too "white and black" is more because of his age and the things that he had lived. He was raised by Ned Stark, a man that considered honor and moral very important, then he had to be Prince of Winterfel what demand of him to be good. And from then, he just ran. There wasn't a situation which he had to be conflicted. However if the Jojenpaste theory is right I think it kinda turns into a grey situation, his friend versus his power, it's not good vs bad but two things he loves and are important to him. Bran is the youngest POV character most of his personality is being build during the series, and he doesn't move so he doesn't have any action adventure, and it's hard for him to change scenario. I get why you might think he's boring.

I agree. I have always enjoyed reading about complex, grey-souled characters and Bran is the opposite to this. Not only this, but Bran's story grew very stale until he reached the underground cave. I skipped big chunks of his chapters.

I like him, I've never seen a character like him before, but my appreciation may be biased due to watching the show first and enjoying the actor's performance, because good child actors are a rarity so they did wonders here.

I like his close relationship with Jon Snow that's less formal than it is with Robb. When they find the direwolves he notices that Ghost is the only one to have opened his eyes. I think Bran is similar in this regard, and he is ready to see whatever is out there rather than playing deaf and dumb.

In A Clash of Kings he really took hold of his responsibilities. I thought it was so funny at the feast when he was supposed to send a dish to each of his honored guests, he sends one Walder buttered turnips and the other boiled beets. I found his warging pretty fascinating at my first read.

As his story continued and he sometimes had to skinchange into Hodor, he knew what he was doing which made him much more of a grey character than before. Meeting Sam was funny, Coldhands is a beast, and now that he's finally reached the 3EC, or Bloodraven, he has the potential to see and do almost anything, even warg a dragon (maybe).

I dunno, I really like Bran's story, and I'm fascinated to see where it will lead.

You read it ALL?!?

I skipped whole Danaerys and Bran chapters. I may go back and read them sometime.

On the other hand, I hung on every word of a chapter named 'Jaime' :-p

You should really consider reading them all at least once, I understand you have a crush on Jaime but yeah wench of course we read them all that's why we're on this forum discussing this crap years before the next book will even come out. :P

My problem was that I was reading at a zillion miles per hour and fully engrossed in all things Lannister. I read like 150 pages a day and the whole series thus far in a month. Anything that I didn't care about, I just skipped, especially in ADWD (which drifted and drifted and drifted...).

I skipped most of ASOS Dany and Bran chapters. They were too removed from the action to care about at the time.

Archived