Aerion Targaryen

The Undefeated Gaul

What do we know of him?

He was a Targ (obviously) and was completely mad, and forced to live in exile.

He called himself "brightflame"

Was also known as Aerion the Monstrous

His son was then skipped in the line of succession when Egg (Aegon) was crowned king.

He owned a dragon egg.

He died drinking a cup of wildfire.

He served with the Second Sons sellsword company

Rumoured to have father numerous children in Lys

Now, is he going to have a significant impact on the series?

Is this son of his the was passed over in the line of succession going to have anything to do with the characters we see in the book now? I.e is he related to Aegon or something along those lines?

Fire away.

I sometimes wonder whether his descendents are hinted at by Moqorro's mysterious words to Tyrion, “Dragons old and young, true and false, bright and dark. And you. A small man with a big shadow, snarling in the midst of all.”

Granted, it's a bit late in the tale for another forgotten branch of the Targaryen family to spring up, but Aerion is specifically called the Bright Prince and it's possible his line could have some role to play in the story. In Jon Connington's thoughts, he has referred to Aegon as a "bright prince" as well.

I sometimes wonder whether his descendents are hinted at by Moqorro's mysterious words to Tyrion, "“Dragons old and young, true and false, bright and dark. And you. A small man with a big shadow, snarling in the midst of all.”

Granted, it's a bit late in the tale for another forgotten branch of the Targaryen family to spring up, but Aerion is specifically called the Bright Prince and it's possible his line could have some role to play in the story.

Yeah it's an interesting topic.

Maybe he was the prince that was promised (just kidding)

Just seems like such a large loose end?

"Aegon."

Not Rhaegar and Elia's, but descended from Aerion, and I think Varys is a Blackfyre agent, if not one himself, along with Illryio, to bring down their trueborn side of the family.

It would explain why Varys plotted against Rhaegar and Rhaella who were reportedly the "good Targaryens." He didn't want the strength and stability that Rhaegar might bring to the Kingdom, nor the reaffirmation of that lines rule.

The Dance of Dragons is still going on- it's just not overt.

I did a couple of reads on Aegons chapters, and at first, (though I didn't buy he was Rhaegars), he seemed okay, but on the second read, I saw some things in his manner that alarmed me.

Yeah it's an interesting topic.

Maybe he was the prince that was promised (just kidding)

Just seems like such a large loose end?

It is a loose end that we might have to rely on Dunk and Egg to clear up for us if the lineage of Aerion isn't going to play much of a role in the story. On the other hand, is it also possible that Aerion's line could have intermarried with the Blackfyres at some point, either unknowingly, or on purpose?

It is a loose end that we might have to rely on Dunk and Egg to clear up for us if the lineage of Aerion isn't going to play much of a role in the story. On the other hand, is it also possible that Aerion's line could have intermarried with the Blackfyres at some point, either unknowingly, or on purpose?

If that was to happen the offspring would have a pretty good claim to the throne wouldn't they?

If that was to happen the offspring would have a pretty good claim to the throne wouldn't they?

I don't think so. They might be able to rival the main branch of the Targaryen family in the "preservation of Valyrian heritage" race, but both of these branches of the family have long since been passed over for the throne. The Targaryen pretense to the Iron Throne continues down the main line to Aegon (if he's still alive), Jon (if he's legitimate), and Dany (whose claim has the largest chance of public acceptance). The main Targaryen line would have to be completely extinguished before anyone would entertain the notion of importing the exiled descendents of Targaryen offshoots. All that changes if someone manages to win the throne by force, of course.

What was it specifically that alarmed you?

Sorry, was re-editing as you were posting.

Well, a couple of things.

He is supposed to be 16/17, about the same age as Robb, and in our world teen angst and temper is expected because they grow up a little slower due to easier conditions.

In this time, however, he is most definitely considered a man and should be capable of leading an army, which we see him do later at Stormsend.

However, he allowed himself to baited by Tyrion, and I know Tyrion can have that affect, but a King-in-training, or a Commander should be beyond allowing his emotions to get the better of him, so his reaction to Tyrion's clear baiting was suspicious, as well as his commanding Tryion to pick up the game pieces he had strewn.

At that point, Tyrion seemed to think he might be "Targaryen after all."

I also didn't like the manner in which he stated "some pisswater boy" when he was referring to his being switched.

If Varys was trying to create the perfect Ruler whose idea of Kingship came from duty rather than entitlement, Aegons statement was alarming.

Especially when I think back on Aryas sentiments on Micah the Butchers boy, and how even as a very Highborn girl, she didn't make any distinctions in how she treated people.

Sorry, was re-editing as you were posting.

Well, a couple of things.

He is supposed to be 16/17, about the same age as Robb, and in our world teen angst and temper is expected because they grow up a little slower due to easier conditions.

In this time, however, he is most definitely considered a man and should be capable of leading an army, which we see him do later at Stormsend.

However, he allowed himself to baited by Tyrion, and I know Tyrion can have that affect, but a King-in-training, or a Commander should be beyond allowing his emotions to get the better of him, so his reaction to Tyrion's clear baiting was suspicious, as well as his commanding Tryion to pick up the game pieces he had strewn.

He also didn't seem to question whether Tryion might be manipulating him or not.

I also didn't like the manner in which he stated "some pisswater boy" when he was referring to his being switched.

If Varys was trying to create the perfect Ruler whose idea of Kingship came from duty rather than entitlement, Aegons statement was alarming.

Especially when I think back on Aryas sentiments on Micah the Butchers boy, and how even as a very Highborn girl, she didn't make any distinctions in how she treated people.

Yeah those are some very valid points.

I don't think so. They might be able to rival the main branch of the Targaryen family in the "preservation of Valyrian heritage" race, but both of these branches of the family have long since been passed over for the throne. The Targaryen pretense to the Iron Throne continues down the main line to Aegon (if he's still alive), Jon (if he's legitimate), and Dany (whose claim has the largest chance of public acceptance). The main Targaryen line would have to be completely extinguished before anyone would entertain the notion of importing the exiled descendents of Targaryen offshoots. All that changes if someone manages to win the throne by force, of course.

Yeah you are definitely right there. I guess i was more so getting at the fact that they would have strong Targ blood.

But I may be alone on this one, but even though Aerion was exiled, it was justified and I don't know if he would associate with the Blackfyre thing as his relatives where the ones fighting them?

This is becoming very intriguing.

Does anyone know when the next Dunk & Egg novels are expected to come out?

This was in response to Aegon's bout of temper after losing the cyvasse game to Tyrion. However, it's going to take more than a quick temper to establish that the boy is descended from some Targaryen lineage.

I think this is an indication that despite Varys's perfect efforts to handcraft the "perfect prince," the plan is going to backfire when Aegon begins asserting himself. We can already see him doing it at the end of Dance during the conversation with Connington about the assault on Storm's End and the matter of giving Duck a white cloak. We're seeing the beginnings of a headstrong, somewhat egotistical young man, in spite of Varys's and Illyrio's best efforts. And when they put a crown on this boy's head, they're going to have little choice but to go along with what he wants or risk eroding their own authority and power base.

But I may be alone on this one, but even though Aerion was exiled, it was justified and I don't know if he would associate with the Blackfyre thing as his relatives where the ones fighting them?

I don't think it would've been Aerion who associated with them. I think he might've had some children by women in Lys, who grew up bitter at the fact that their princely father abandoned them. They may have either sought out their distant Blackfyre kin and rallied around them as a means of going to Westeros and cashing in on their Targaryen blood, or it may simply have been chance if members of the two lines got together. After a time, it seems like the Golden Company became a haven for Westerosi exiles of all sorts and it's possible that people who thought of themselves as forgotten Targaryen princelings might move in those circles.

This is becoming very intriguing.

Does anyone know when the next Dunk & Egg novels are expected to come out?

Most of the information I've seen indicates that the anthology with the fourth story is due out sometime next year.

I think this is an indication that despite Varys's perfect efforts to handcraft the "perfect prince," the plan is going to backfire when Aegon begins asserting himself. We can already see him doing it at the end of Dance during the conversation with Connington about the assault on Storm's End and the matter of giving Duck a white cloak. We're seeing the beginnings of a headstrong, somewhat egotistical young man, in spite of Varys's and Illyrio's best efforts. And when they put a crown on this boy's head, they're going to have little choice but to go along with what he wants or risk eroding their own authority and power base.

Yeah sounds logical to me.

So moving aside from the whole Aegon thing, can anyone think of any possible connections between Aerion and anyone else?

This was in response to Aegon's bout of temper after losing the cyvasse game to Tyrion. However, it's going to take more than a quick temper to establish that the boy is descended from some Targaryen lineage.

On the matter of the game, that may be true, but lets just say that I wouldn't play with him again unless I planned on throwing the game. :stunned:

Archived