Who is your favorite character because some aspect of their

Where Boars Glow

Ned, Stannis, and Tyrion, primarily because I can relate to growing up in the shadow of a more celebrated older brother. My relationship with my brother is nowhere near -- nor has it ever been -- as strained as Stannis's and Robert's was (we're probably closer to Ned-Brandon and Tyrion-Jaime pre-Jaime's confession about Tysha). But I can relate to being the bookish, quiet little brother of the popular athlete.

I relate to Stannis some because my family is very much about Duty (to country, community, and family). My father was a General and was never anything but brutally honest and blunt (emphasis on the blunt). Seriously, we had weekly "homework" on military matters and strategy--I got my lifelong love of history and military history from my father. I most relate to Sam though. My family comes from a proud military tradition and out of five siblings I was the only one that never served. I never wanted to learn to shoot. I wanted to read. I've always loved books and learning new things so it wasn't a surprise to anyone that I became a professor and scholar.

my favorite character is tyrion and i definitely relate to his character. why?

• i completely believe that my mind is my armor
  • i read constantly (all night, if i can)
  • i get along well enough with people while not being the most popular one in the room
  • i like a good wine :P
  • i look out for broken things
  • i have been known to say a witty thing or two
  • i come from a family that thinks very highly of themselves and is used to a certain type of status
  • i am currently having a major "disagreement" with my brother. but i'm about to forgive him and make nice-nice again since we have always been very close
  • i am intrigued by the game
  • i am willing to defend myself with everything i have but i would need a "bronn" to help me out of the worst of situations
  • i am fascinated by dragons
  • i like cyvasse chess
  • i , uhm, enjoy the company of the opposite sex and jon and i would defnitely be "buddies" :leer:

but that's it. i'm not short. i do not have violent tendencies. my eyes are the same color. and i was my father's favorite :wub: perhaps that's why i don't have violent tendencies.

eta: forgot to say i'm not a man

Jaime Laninnister is my favorite character, probably the chapters which I have re-read the most. Out of all the chapters I have read there is not one I did not enjoy. Even though he is a dashing knight who has banged his sister and thrown a child out of a window I find him captivating. I find the way his chapters are written you really feel as if he is a believable character, in terms of behavior, though and action. His dialogue is also hilarious! I swear the scene where he is describing Vargo Hoat say "pssffsphafires" is hreat! I think every young male (myself hehe) has a bit of Jaime Lannister in him. Means good but continuously says and does the wrong things over and over again!

personality relates directly to you? Someone started a thread earlier about how George RR Martin has preconceived notions about some characters which he then makes more or less sympathetic to the readers. I disagree and think we either like or don't like characters because of what we see in ourselves. So who is your favorite and what does that say about you?

I think Martin creates characters based on many, many associations, including preconceived notions that may be unavoidable and not even recognizable to an author working at populating an entire world with living, breathing entities.I have read where authors are even inspired by dreams, which have associations with the subconscious inspiring their origins. Other personalities may reflect combinations of traits based on many sources, including those people an author knows personally, or reads about, or sees in a movie or documentary. Inspiration comes from many sources, and I think George Martin is like a sponge and absorbs ideas from all walks of his life, if you know what I mean

But to address why I am drawn to characters, some of it does relate to my personal sensibilities, especially in regards to Arya who has a perfect sister in Sansa and unkind people like the Septa comparing her to the little southron lady Arya cannot hope to compete with because she is a different individual. Arya feels a pressure to conform to that which she does not hold in esteem or value, to go against the nature that Ned calls the “wolf-blood”. I also had sisters who were great all-around athletes, achieving status in a variety of sports, including basketball, softball, volleyball, soccer, and competitive swimming. I, on the other hand, swam synchronized competitively and coordinating stunts and strokes to music did not meet the mark as far as my very athletic father was concerned. Well-meaning teachers would often mention seeing my sisters’ athletic accomplishments on the local news or pictured in the paper and mention this to me, and I was always mortified. I did not like living in their shadow.

Arya despises sewing with a needle and thread, but she still made good use of her “Needle” in other ways. [i also grew up, or matured, and upon reflection, my father never missed a competition day, exhibition day, or water show in which I was a competitor or a participant. So as we mature, we are better able to reflect with a more insightful eye on those past incidences in which our perspective is blurred by childhood and adolescent angst. At least that is the case with me, who looks back to see that my father did support me in my athletic ventures; at the time, it seemed to me that he favored my sisters for their athletic prowess, and I did not account for the fact that I had four sisters all born within a year from one another, so my dad was juggling quite a lot of his time around all our schedules, plus holding down a full-time job!]

I also am not an “assassin lover” who aspires to be a servant of Him of Many Faces and deliver the “gift” of death to those deemed most worthy by a godhead. But Arya’s path has been far more murky than my own, and I am sure, at least by today’s standards, Arya has been psychologically affected by all that she has seen and suffered personally, which has fed inside her soul a desire for vengeance. No, that is not I.

I wish to say on Arya’s behalf that the power or force that motivates the Faceless Men, as represented by the godhead known as Him of Many Faces, does give a “gift” of death, opening its house to those ready to meet their makers beyond in their respective afterlives. Likewise, for a hefty donation, the Faceless Men execute choice souls based upon the judgment of a higher power, as in the instance of the waif’s demise And the price may be paid in service, or in kind, gifting a live body, to offset the hefty monetary fee, of course.

And as I have read in a novel and heard in the movie, dying is easy; it’s living that is hard. So Arya is performing “acts of mercy”, not necessarily acts of vengeance. As a matter of fact, the kindly priest is against vengeance as a motivation; moreover, the organization never sends one of their own to kill a person he or she knows. He tries to get Arya to “let go” of her prayers, the catalogue of names she recites in the evening or in the morning. So my perception of the FM and Him-of-Many Faces is not of a vengefully driven society of hired assassins; they are a professionally trained troupe of theatrically tutored individuals with access to powerful magic and poisons that enable them to function in a perfunctory fashion. They are not only deliverers of a god’s will, but they serve as the local morgue and maybe even a charnel house of sorts beneath the house proper. They even act as undertaker, and Arya a minion who tends to the dead, an act of noble purpose.

Now, there are a host of characters I love because of their quirky natures, and these characters represent individuals I have met in life: Dolorous Edd, the self-absorbed crepe hanger who speaks of gloom and doom and how he will suffer the worst of any curse to befall anyone ever; Tormund Giantsbane, the likable braggart with Tall-Tales so tall they are obviously fiction, and he is in on the joke! I have a Dolorous Edd who lives across the street, and I grew up with my father Tormund, who was not above a joke about the size and prowess of his “member” after he had a few drinks in him! I also know the Reader with his books, his nose in the pages of a tome while other people are talking to him; a Sam Tarly who hyperventilates in a book store and breaks into a cold sweat at the library; and a Stark family who has five golden retrievers they call direwolves. The last three are me and my family of goldens!

Bestiality is wrong.

My mind works in a similar way to LF (in terms of how I work things out) and I can also be quite petty. I'm not as sneaky as him though, promise.

I'm also used to shooting insults back and forth in a way that is somewhat similar to Asha's banter, tinged with a sense of what I'd call sensible loyalty like Tytos Blackwood (will stand up for what I think is right, but won't fight a helpless cause).

What's wrong with bestiality?? in Tormund's case it gave him the strongest kids he'd ever bred! and he needed to shorten his member

personality relates directly to you? Someone started a thread earlier about how George RR Martin has preconceived notions about some characters which he then makes more or less sympathetic to the readers. I disagree and think we either like or don't like characters because of what we see in ourselves. So who is your favorite and what does that say about you?

I think it is hard to say a single character relates to me personally.

Maybe I've got a mix of Jon Snow, Arya, Eddard, Stannis, Dany and Tyrion-like qualities ? Perhaps a bit of Littlefinger, Bronn, and Jorah as well.

Ferocious idealism, honour, discipline, wrath, a respect for knowledge, and a good deal of cynicism and black humour as well.

The Starks are the characters I relate to most, as I was definitely "wolf-ish" long before I'd even heard of ASOIAF.

My favourite character is Arya (though I'm male, so obviously there's a lot I can't relate to with the female characters).

I feel like I can relate and find similarities to a lot of different characters, but I'll just think of my favorites, sooo....

Bran and Jon are my favorites, and I share some traits with both of them.

I relate to Jon because we have similar personalities, a bit solemn, dutiful and good at heart, accepting differences with other people but not really with yourself, able to compromise well, a good friend, a natural but reluctant leader, honorable.

As for Bran, I'm also a younger sibling in a big family, a dreamer, and pretty magical too!

For both, I feel a lot of self-pity at times, get sh*t on by others, but generally well liked.

Jeez, this makes me sound a little "emo", but I guess that's just another similarity! Hahaha.

I'm probably Ned Stark with tits. I have a strong sense of justice and a rigid code of honor and both get me at odds with people in places of power, invariably.

I would say Ned is definately an easy character to be drawn to. Especially if you have a poets heart.

personally i could never get past his I can't get out of the way of my own honor even when it makes me dumb thing :)

Ned, Stannis, and Tyrion, primarily because I can relate to growing up in the shadow of a more celebrated older brother. My relationship with my brother is nowhere near -- nor has it ever been -- as strained as Stannis's and Robert's was (we're probably closer to Ned-Brandon and Tyrion-Jaime pre-Jaime's confession about Tysha). But I can relate to being the bookish, quiet little brother of the popular athlete.

Now that is definately very interesting someone else mentioned family dynamics coming into play and i never thought about this....at the ned of the day A song of ice and fire is pretty much ALL about family....and family dynamics.

Archived