If you were one of the smallfolk, who would you want to be your overlord?

Ser Grimes

True the north would be unbearable during the winter but Dorne being mostly desert would be nearly as bad. Doran Martell is a pretty good lord though.

Climate wise, the Riverlands or the reach are probably the best. Militarily either the North or Dorne since their natural barriers makes it nearly impossible to attack them.

The river valleys, coasts and mountain forts of Dorne, where the majority of Dornishmen live, and Sunpsear and Planky Town, would be fine. I don't mind very hot temperatures, and much prefer it to the cold. At least food can still be grown in the fertile areas no matter the season.

The North's natural borders are a deterrent against mass foreign invasions (although Kings-Beyond-the-Wall give it a good go), but it comes under frequent attack from wildlings and Ironborn, whose raids disproportionately target the smallfolk, one of the main reasons why it sucks being a commoner in the North.

Somewhat a cliche answer but - Ned Stark.

Four instances come to mind:

1) I can't imagine many lords enetring a potential conflict with the Lannisters over sufferings of smallfolk - like Ned did when he declared Gregor Clagane an outlaw

2) he can't understand how can one live so near KL and not know his overlord - the king - which suggests it's not the same case with Northern smallfolf and himself

3) Liddle commenting about how roads were safe when Starks were in Winterfell. I velieve the exact wording was "a naked maiden could walk the road alone and no harm would come to her"

4) devotion which people of Winterfell show to Stark heirs when Theon takes over their town

Edmure Tully doesn't let you die? Except when he fails to place sentries and lets his newly raised army get slaughtered whilst training.

Are you sure you're not referring to Stafford Lannister? Who is.. uh, completely unrelated? Pretty sure Edmure just got smashed by Jaime at the Goledn Tooth and Riverrun because... he's never led an army before but he had to anyway. I wish there were more details from both of these 'battles' since it seems like the Riverlands can't seem to get a break.

Edmure cares but he's sort of too soft and not ready yet. Give him time and I'd say Edmure.

Wyman seems great for reasons people have said before. Ned too!

Doran does a great job at biding his time and keeping his people safe.

Stannis for being more meritocratic than anybody ever, I think.

Mance for being a badass.

Prince Doran Martell of Dorne, although considered to be a weak ruler he seems to have the interest of Dorne at heart with every decision he makes. He thinks things through before he acts almost to a fault but he has kept Dorne away from all the bloodshed of the wars in the rest of westeros. If I was a commoner I would want a ruler who did think before they act instead of making rash decisions based on emotion like many of the other lords have done in the series. Dany would be my first choice but her dragons and strong will I feel will always have her involved in a conflict of some kind

This

Prince Martell of Dorne

The Tyrells are up jumped gardeners

Feudal society sucks whoever your overlord is. Smallfolk in countryside westeros are slaves of their lords in anything but name. Not even taking into account that the decent lord you have today might very well be replaced by his incompetent/tyrannical/mad heir tomorrow. You're probably best off traveling to a port and rowing your way to braavos where you have things like social mobility, religious freedom and relative safety. Which is you know, pretty chill if you don't want to die.

Stannis. I consider him to be socially liberal, and people could prosper and advance under his reign. Just look at Davos. I think he did quite well for someone who was born in Flea Bottom, and spent most of his life in hiding from this ship and the next, fearing for his life...and because he proved to be a loyal subject to his Lord when he needed help, he was knighted, and later became the King's most trusted adviser.

A Lord's duty is to protect the smallfolk, but sadly, most nobles forget that when war erupts. Stannis wouldn't. He always does his duty, so I think Id be pretty safe under his rule. I'd be a loyal subject, and I'd serve him however I could when he would need me.

I don't mind his sense of justice. If you did something which would get you executed in Riverrun, or Winterfell, or Highgarden, you'd meet the same fate on Dragonstone. It doesn't matter whether it's a sword or a noose or fire.

There are many competent overlords in the story, such as Robb, Stannis, Eddard and Tywin. None of those men would commit outright cruelty against their own people, and you can expect them to hold on to their word

However, when you factor in:

-chance for advancement and enrichment

-likelyhood of death and pain

Then Stannis is not a good choice anymore, despite how good he might be as a person.

I would pick Tywin, although if I was born in the lands of any of these 4 guys, I would just serve that one. They are all good, it's only with hindsight that we can tell which one can give you a better career.

Mance Rayder.

Nobody

Any Lord and his ilk has a potential to become a complete nutcase

Only two options. I'm a free man, I follow whomever I choose, if I follow anyone at all. If any of the lords tried to make me into a kneeler, I'd cut off their manhood and feed it to a goat their sons.

Hard choice.

Edmure is probably the only person I'd want for a leige lord if I lived in the riverlands because the other Tully's would most likely say "lol, your problem now" if the enemy appears at our doorstep. (Didn't Catelyn chide him for putting their safety first?)

The Starks would most likely drag their smallfolk out to fight for them, either for pride or revenge. They're nice guys, sure, but I don't want to be dragged out to fight a war when I no experience with fighting or just because my leige lords pride is hurt or wants revenge.

Hightowers seem pretty chill and like to stay out of wars, and Doran Martell likes to put his people and their interests first. He thinks before acting for every decision, small or big.(something that is never seen in this story.)

I'd have to go with Doran Martell.

Archived