Killing babies 'no different from abortion', say experts

straits

The journal’s editor, Prof Julian Savulescu, director of the Oxford Uehiro Centre for Practical Ethics, said the article's authors had received death threats since publishing the article. He said those who made abusive and threatening posts about the study were “fanatics opposed to the very values of a liberal society”.

The article, entitled “After-birth abortion: Why should the baby live?”, was written by two of Prof Savulescu’s former associates, Alberto Giubilini and Francesca Minerva.

They argued: “The moral status of an infant is equivalent to that of a fetus in the sense that both lack those properties that justify the attribution of a right to life to an individual.”

http://www.telegraph...xperts-say.html

This is news to me. I wouldn't agree with it if all the logic pointed in that direction though.

Peter Singer staked out the same position a long time ago. I also think, fundamentally, that it is sound position, even though it leads to clearly uncomfortable positions.

What I don't quite understand is the impression that the society gets to decide where to draw the ethical line on the inevitable development of a personality of an independent organism (outside another):

As such they argued it was “not possible to damage a newborn by preventing her from developing the potentiality to become a person in the morally relevant sense”.

Archived