What's your opinion about King Bob?

Eh, he wasn't a bad king IMO. He led Westeros to an era of peace (besides the Greyjoy rebellion) and wasn't cruel, power crazy, or anything like that to the point where he would abuse his powers. Was he the most responsible king? Not at all.

No, he just had a kingdom-wide war to get in to power, a rebellion a few years later, and then do to his laziness and unwillingness to actually rule, he ensured his death led to another kingdom-wide war.

Other than that, yep, a kingdom at peace.

I found it ironic how Robert died. A swine gored by a pig.

Imagine that.

I've never seen this so perfectly stated.

No, he just had a kingdom-wide war to get in to power,

A war that was started because the sadistic former king unjustly called for his head.

a rebellion a few years later,

That was crushed.

and then do to his laziness and unwillingness to actually rule, he ensured his death led to another kingdom-wide war.

He was a lazy king, but you can't hold him responsible for the war in it's entirety.

I understand the Robert hate--even if I disagree, but he wasn't the spawn of Satan.

KIng Bob wasn't the best man for the job but what was the alternative? He was a great warrior and did have enough sense not to leave the realm to Joffery and become the sellsword king. The Ruling was pretty much left to Jon Arryn and the small council which was a great decision. Not a great husband but look at his wife. Not a great father at all but he wasn't Randyl Tarly either. A flawed Character yes but all and all a mans man and I gotta love him. :cheers: to King Robert Baratheon the Demon of the Trident

A terrible person, an idiot and to top off his whining was unbearable.

"Oh, no, I am the King of the whole continent, I get all the perks and almost none of the responsibilities, but my life is so terrible because my wife hates me and my betrothed I barely knew died 16 years ago. Never mind I can get any other woman I want.

Oh, no, it's tough being the King. These 15 minutes per week which I actually spent on governing the realm really take a huge toll on me"

He was such a spoilt crybaby.

1. Ruling? Well actually Robert didn't rule that much. He left the ruling to John Arryn and that was actually a good decision (maybe only one).

2. Succession? Husband? Father? Well he was really bad at those. He made sure Cersei would hate him, she didn't have an easy personality to begin with, but she was happy to marry the king. But it is not wise to piss of the mother of the heirs. Because ultimetly only the mother of a child is proven. Not to mention she is the one raising the heirs. Robert didn't even do anything almost never cared for his children and with that the succession of his house.

We know that Joffrey wanted to get the aproval of Robert, he was boasting to Sansa about what a big warrior he was and how he killed Rhaegar at the Trident, and he sent an assassin after Bran because of what Robert said about being cripple is worse than death. I am just saying the boy seemed to be desperate for his attention and he didn't even do nothing. Joffrey might wouldn't be such a huge jerk, if he would have paid attention to him as well. Or maybe he would still be, but some parental attention is never bad.

So I say he had a one good decision to let John Arryn rule, and a hundred bad ones where he made sure there will be a mess after he dies.

Archived