New Theory about someone in ASOS after reading ADWD

arek

Hey guys.

After re reading the series after read A Dance with Dragons I noticed something.

In Storm of Swords just before Jon escapes the wildlings South of the Wall. The wildlings encounters an old man by a fire. He is silent the whole time he is captured, does not plead or anything was just silent. Ygritte eventually slashes his throat & Jon then flees.

In a Dance with Dragons when Roose is discussing Ramsay past with Theon/Reek he tells Theon how he killed a miller and raped his new bride (the soon to be mother of Ramsay). A Year later the woman arrived at the Dreadfort with Ramsay & stating that the millers brother threw her out. Roose was angered by this and removed the mans tongue (So he would tell no tales to Lord Rickard Stark) & gave the mill to Ramsays mother.

Im just wondering could the man the wildlings killed have been the millers brother & he simply didn't speak because he had no tongue.

A small point I know nothing major, but it got me curious.

As you say it is kind of a small point and wouldn't have much impact in the story (or foreshadowing) so it's pretty doubtful. I do like that you're thinking about that guy tho, there has to be something to him...

He has a horse, was an old man...

i don't have my copy of ASoS here (it's falling apart anyways from all of my re-reads) can you list any and all details about this old man from the text?

It could be (though, why?), but clearly it was a local and people who live near the wall know about Wildling raiding parties and their tactics; he certainly knew who they were and also probably knew that they couldn't let him live and that begging would be useless if not just make the situation worse.

I just had a thought, what if it turned out the old man was Howland Reed tracking Bran and company! LOL! That would be a hilarious end for a character that has been built up in people's minds so much.

It could be (though, why?), but clearly it was a local and people who live near the wall know about Wildling raiding parties and their tactics; he certainly knew who they were and also probably knew that they couldn't let him live and that begging would be useless if not just make the situation worse.

I just had a thought, what if it turned out the old man was Howland Reed tracking Bran and company! LOL! That would be a hilarious end for a character that has been built up in people's minds so much.

LOL thats kinda funny... Please avoid double posting by using the edit button thanks. :cheers:

I've always had a feeling that it was the Liddle(?) who Bran and co. met in the Cave (that scene is after they trekked through the mountains IIRC)

That hadn't occurred to me before but I'd say that is far more likely than anything else mentioned in this thread so far. Given the Liddle's and other mountain clan's fierce loyalty to the Starks, it is very plausible that he was following Bran and Co. at a discreet distance to make sure nothing bad befell them. Also, a man in that position would much rather die then reveal anything that could hurt Bran which would explain why he decided to remain totally mute with the wildlings rather then give any hint about what he was up to.

P.S. sorry about the double post or w/e but its a pet peeve of mine to have to edit a post on forums, save for when I make a major grammatical error that makes my post borderline illegible. People going back and editing posts after the fact can really muddy the water on discussions sometimes.

That hadn't occurred to me before but I'd say that is far more likely than anything else mentioned in this thread so far. Given the Liddle's and other mountain clan's fierce loyalty to the Starks, it is very plausible that he was following Bran and Co. at a discreet distance to make sure nothing bad befell them. Also, a man in that position would much rather die then reveal anything that could hurt Bran which would explain why he decided to remain totally mute with the wildlings rather then give any hint about what he was up to.

P.S. sorry about the double post or w/e but its a pet peeve of mine to have to edit a post on forums, save for when I make a major grammatical error that makes my post borderline illegible. People going back and editing posts after the fact can really muddy the water on discussions sometimes.

I understand NBD, if you do edit you can always add your own reason at the bottom ie: Edited for typo... People will know if you're constantly editing posts to make yourself look better lol. In any case thx for being civil not trying to call u out I just usually let ppl know in case a mobile device is causing the prob.

I really like your line of reasoning there with the Liddle. He arrives shortly after Bran and makes no attempt to hide himself (starts a fire) then remains mute to protect Bran and Co. It's sad that it had to be Ygritte who slits his throat... :crying:

[snip] It's sad that it had to be Ygritte who slits his throat... :crying:

It didn't have to be Ygritte - She chose to do it, and that sort of activity is part of who she is. Just because she and Jon fell in love doesn't mean that their principles have 100% overlap.

It didn't have to be Ygritte - She chose to do it, and that sort of activity is part of who she is. Just because she and Jon fell in love doesn't mean that their principles have 100% overlap.

Yeah I get it... It was an extremely significant moment which helped end Jon's internal struggle. I was just hoping she was better than that, it was stone cold.

Archived