Gendry Revelation

The Direfox

still there are ways around the "absolutes" of prophecy, wording is always up for speculation

I don't see the way around that one, but in any case that's of no consequence, because that is not the point.

The point is that Cersei takes Maggy's prediction that she'd only have 3 kids as confirmation that Maggy is right. Ergo Cersei either suffers from massive amnesia or she only has 3 kids.

Cersei's first "lost" child is not in the books, only on the show. I have no idea why they felt the need to add it, except that they might have thought it added depth to Cersei's character or whatever. The only reason Gendry's mother's hair is important is because it shows that Robert + a yellow-haired woman = a black-haired kid. That's it. Cersei is not Gendry's mother.

Agreed on the purpose of the golden hair reference. If Cersei had a secert child and sent it away then he (Gendry) would hardly remember his mother's hair color. Also, it's much more Cersei's style to just bash the unwanted brat's head in, as she had done to Robert's other (illegitimate) children. Plus, there wouldn't be a search for Gendry as he leaves KL with Arya & Yoren if Cersei were trying to hide/protect him for some reason.

This is what I thought at first but then I thought, "its probably nothing, they just added it for flair." But then I thought what if they didn't mention it in the book because it would be too obvious? It definitely takes more away from the story than it could give if it was added "just cuz." Though they do this throughout the show sometimes, it might be something that is hinted at in the next book and then revealed in the last book. Just a thought

It's not in the books because it's not true. Cersei never thinks of some extraneous kid, and I think she'd know if she'd pushed out four instead of three. It also directly conflicts with Maggy's prophecy (which is up to this point accurate), as others have mentioned.

This may seem off topic, what do you guys think Gendry's endgame is? I would be a bit disappointed if GRRM hadn't made us so aware of his true lineage if it didn't amount to anything in the end.

Don't know but I'm pretty certain he isn't destined to be the next king or the next lord of Storm's End.

This may seem off topic, what do you guys think Gendry's endgame is? I would be a bit disappointed if GRRM hadn't made us so aware of his true lineage if it didn't amount to anything in the end.

This isn't a popular theory because a lot of people like Gendry (and I like him too), but I think his biggest purpose was just to be a control variable to test Ned's theory about Cersei's kids. He continued by helping Arya and whatnot, and we might see him again, but I'm not expecting anything too outlandish from him. Robert has Edric Storm if House Baratheon needs an acknowledged heir. With two dead parents and no actual acknowledgement, I don't see how Gendry can be a factor in terms of succession and stuff.

Cersei is not his mother and thank the gods...

Sometimes a tavern wench is just a tavern wench.

He is going to have enough to deal with when he finds out Robert is his father, protecting orphans, smithing, and dealing with the BWB and the on the edge Stoneheart.

I have a feeling he is not to thrilled with her either like Thoros. But what say does he have currently? He asked to join them. He doesn's strike me as the type to kill unless he has to. Also, he may not agree with her and where the Brotherhood is going currently, but she is the mother of his bff Arya. Wonder if he knows who Uncat is. On a second re-read, so I am not sure if I missed something.

This isn't a popular theory because a lot of people like Gendry (and I like him too), but I think his biggest purpose was just to be a control variable to test Ned's theory about Cersei's kids. He continued by helping Arya and whatnot, and we might see him again, but I'm not expecting anything too outlandish from him. Robert has Edric Storm if House Baratheon needs an acknowledged heir. With two dead parents and no actual acknowledgement, I don't see how Gendry can be a factor in terms of succession and stuff.

Does Jaime know about Gendry? Because if Gendry is present at his meeting with Lady Stoneheart for some reason and Jaime sees him, or if Jaime spots him at the Inn at the Crossroads, could he possibly reveal the truth about Gendry's real father? That might cause some of the BWB to look to return Gendry to Storm's End. He would be a better fit than Edric too, considering that he's older. If Stannis dies(and I suspect that he will), and Shireen succumbs to greyscale, is it possible for him to become Lord of Storm's End? This is just a crackpot theory.

Does Jaime know about Gendry? Because if Gendry is present at his meeting with Lady Stoneheart for some reason and Jaime sees him, or if Jaime spots him at the Inn at the Crossroads, could he possibly reveal the truth about Gendry's real father? That might cause some of the BWB to look to return Gendry to Storm's End. He would be a better fit than Edric too, considering that he's older. If Stannis dies(and I suspect that he will), and Shireen succumbs to greyscale, is it possible for him to become Lord of Storm's End? This is just a crackpot theory.

We have no evidence in the text that Jaime is aware of Gendry. And I don't think Gendry is going to become the next lord of SE.

Is it clear that Gendry is 100% Robert's son?

Is it possibel that Stannis is his real father?

• Gendry born around 285 ; Stannis Marriage was 287 (Was Stannis still a virgin at his Wedding?)
  • Stannis was Master of Ships at this time (he lives in King's Landing)
  • His mother was working in a alehouse (no prostitue)
  • His mother died as he was young (killed to hide the truth?)
  • Varys is most likley involved and Gendry was his hidden ace against Stannis.

From his character Gendry is more Stannis than Robert ...

Stannis looking at his son ... :rofl:

If Stannis is his father (and I don't think he is) I seriously doubt he'd behave the same way as Robert when it came to a bastard child. I don't think he'd keep him at Dragonstone or court, but I seriously doubt he'd abandon the kid and have him grow up ignorant of his parentage. That's Robert's style.

Gendry is an illiterate/barely literate lowborn peasant turned outlaw, whose only training is as an apprentice armourer. He was never acknowledged as anything by Robert Baratheon.

Edric Storm is noble-born on both sides (father was a Baratheon, mother was a Florent), and was raised a nobleman with all the neccesary education and training by the castellan, maester and master-at-arms of Storm's End. He is also the only acknowledged bastard child of Robert Baratheon.

Who do you think is the more acceptable Lord of Storm's End?

Not mentioned is that in the books Cersei with Jaime's help aborted a pregnancy by Robert. I'm assuming the TV folks are so pro-life that they wouldn't let that go through. (Facetious statement alert!)

Mayhaps Gendry's role is to pick up a warhammer like dear old Dad and confront UnGregor.

I acknowledge the outlandishness and unpopularity of this theory, I just wanted to get it out there and see if anyone else had similar speculations. It can be largely looked over by the inconveniencies of the prophecy and Cersei's acknowledgement of the truth of said prophecy, but it's still possible and I had never given the matter any more thought than most so I thought I'd get some feedback. That being said, I think that Gendry will have a role to play in some story arc that will be covered in the next two books so don't count him out of relevance. I'd like to see him help steer the BWB on to a worthy and relevant cause that will become a protganistic force after being exposed as the king's bastard. I'd like for him to rejoin Arya's storyline after she returns to Westeros as well.

Cersei's first "lost" child is not in the books, only on the show. I have no idea why they felt the need to add it, except that they might have thought it added depth to Cersei's character or whatever. The only reason Gendry's mother's hair is important is because it shows that Robert + a yellow-haired woman = a black-haired kid. That's it. Cersei is not Gendry's mother.

Just because Cersei said it doesnt mean it actually happened in the show, it could be she was trying to manipulate Cat.

Archived