Gendry Revelation

The Direfox

I've read all of the novels and the series, and I am now currently re-watching the series with my housemates and I just had a revelation about Gendry. He's obviously Robert's bastard, but I realized that when he was describing his mother he mentions a woman with golden hair (I don't recall if this description of his mother was in the book). I then saw the episode where Cersei and Robert are having their discussion and Cersei mentions their miscarried son who had thick black hair which would be fitting for Baratheon's. I know for a fact this is not in the book, and I know that all subsequent pregnancies by Robert onto Cersei were intentionally terminated by Cersei and Jaime as well I believe, and though I don't have th passage in front of me I think it mentions all of her chilren by Robert were terminated. Then I recalled Cersei admitting she once had feelings for Robert in the beginning, this I know for a fact was in the books and the tv show.

Then something came to me, what if there was a real reason they added these parts to the tv series and have not included them in the novels thus far? Is this subtle foreshadowing and including an aspect in the story that the tv writers have been made aware of by George Martin and are putting it in now because they have no way of doing it later? What if Robert impregnated Cersei while Cersei still had feelings for him? Cersei was intimately involved with Jaime at that time I believe and would surely fear what he would do if it was revealed Cersei was having Robert's son and not his own, and we already know she is fiercely protective of her children. What if Cersei had Robert's son and sent him away to be raised by another woman and claimed she had a miscarriage? Could it be that Gendry is the legitimate son of Robert and Cersei and the rightful king to the Seven Kingdoms? (if you don't revert back to the Targ line) This secret could turn out being a factor in the war, who knows, Stannis might even due his honor bound duty and support his nephew's claim. Gendry could potentially get all of the support that Stannis never could and make common cause with some great lords. Anybody else ever think about this?

Wow, this is some crackpot. I like it, though. I don't believe it, but I like it.

I can't remember exactly, but I got the impression from the way Gendry talked about his mother that she had played a significant part in raising him, while he didn't know his father at all. It's hard to reconcile that with his mother being Cersei, who, if she was spending enough time with Gendry for him to remember her as his mother, would almost certainly be noticed doing so. So, for that reason, in addition to all the other more obvious ones, I don't think there's anything to it, but it's an interesting idea.

It'd be no crazier than the Aegon baby swap, I guess. But either way, there's no way of authenticating Gendry's identity (whereas Aegon has Jon Connington to testify to his) and not one of the remaining power figures has anything to gain from another Baratheon.

Cersei's first "lost" child is not in the books, only on the show. I have no idea why they felt the need to add it, except that they might have thought it added depth to Cersei's character or whatever. The only reason Gendry's mother's hair is important is because it shows that Robert + a yellow-haired woman = a black-haired kid. That's it. Cersei is not Gendry's mother.

We have extensive POV insight in Cersei's marriage with Robert. She tells us how she disposed of his semen and made sure that all her kids were Jaime's. Never once does she indicate that there might be an extra one.

On top of that, if Cersei had a forth kid, then Maggie the Frog's prophecy would be wrong and furthermore Cersei would know that. Still, she obsesses about that prophecy almost continuously without once ever thinking "Oh by the way, I know it's all garbage anyways." Au contraire, she remarks

The maegi knew how many children I would have, and she knew of Robert's bastards.

No, that son is an invention of the show (probably because the show wanted to present Cersei more likable than she was in the books) and it is inconsistent with the books.

Cersei's first "lost" child is not in the books, only on the show. I have no idea why they felt the need to add it, except that they might have thought it added depth to Cersei's character or whatever. The only reason Gendry's mother's hair is important is because it shows that Robert + a yellow-haired woman = a black-haired kid. That's it. Cersei is not Gendry's mother.

I actually read that that was all GRRM's idea for something to both humanize Cersei a bit, and to be symbolic of Cersei's short lived love for Robert also dying as an infant. Totally symbolic and shit, and would have been in the books too had GRRM thought of it in the early 90's.

Wow, this is some crackpot. I like it, though. I don't believe it, but I like it.

I can't remember exactly, but I got the impression from the way Gendry talked about his mother that she had played a significant part in raising him, while he didn't know his father at all. It's hard to reconcile that with his mother being Cersei, who, if she was spending enough time with Gendry for him to remember her as his mother, would almost certainly be noticed doing so. So, for that reason, in addition to all the other more obvious ones, I don't think there's anything to it, but it's an interesting idea.

Yes, but it might be that the mother Gendry was referring to was a maid or hired wetnurse that was to assume the mothering role until he could be given as an apprentice blacksmith

This is what I thought at first but then I thought, "its probably nothing, they just added it for flair." But then I thought what if they didn't mention it in the book because it would be too obvious? It definitely takes more away from the story than it could give if it was added "just cuz." Though they do this throughout the show sometimes, it might be something that is hinted at in the next book and then revealed in the last book. Just a thought

We have extensive POV insight in Cersei's marriage with Robert. She tells us how she disposed of his semen and made sure that all her kids were Jaime's. Never once does she indicate that there might be an extra one.

On top of that, if Cersei had a forth kid, then Maggie the Frog's prophecy would be wrong and furthermore Cersei would know that. Still, she obsesses about that prophecy almost continuously without once ever thinking "Oh by the way, I know it's all garbage anyways." Au contraire, she remarks

still there are ways around the "absolutes" of prophecy, wording is always up for speculation

This is what I thought at first but then I thought, "its probably nothing, they just added it for flair." But then I thought what if they didn't mention it in the book because it would be too obvious? It definitely takes more away from the story than it could give if it was added "just cuz." Though they do this throughout the show sometimes, it might be something that is hinted at in the next book and then revealed in the last book. Just a thought

Or, it's not in the books because it isn't true. The books are not the show and the show is not the books. As the seasons progress, tv canon will diverge further and further from the source material. D&D have made changes that Martin has disagreed with, not liked, and warned them it would cause problems in the future. They have flat out stated that the show would explore scenarios not in the books.

If you want proof of Gendry's parentage, look in the books. But, you won't find anything because it isn't there.

Archived