A Kingsguard Dream Team (Now Living)

Lord Addam

( If he hadn´t been fuckin maimed, JAIME)

Balon Swann ( battlehardened, honorable, badass mofo )

Garlan Tyrell ( Loras himself admits that Garlan is the better swordsman, and also seems a decent guy)

Victarion ( EPIC GUY!!!!! )

Areo Hotah ( dull guy, but seemingly unstoppable with his axe)

Blackfish ( Jaime looked up to him....that says a lot about his fighting skills, and honorable and all besides)

Brienne ( seems one of Westeros` best swords, plus she is loyal as fuck)

Lyn Corbray ( seems quite a serious mofo with a sword, plus his is a valyrian)

Balon Swann

Bronn

Brienne

Blackfish

Garlan Tyrell

Sandor Clegane

Jamie Lannister

-----------------------------------

Both Bronn and Garlan are married. Bronn would definitely not be willing to join the KG when he just managed to gain a title and lands...

It would be my dream team out of the living candidates I'm not writing the books here

With Jaime missing a hand, Sandor lame, and Loras possibly on his deathbed, this is going to be tough.

Brienne of Tarth

Balon Swann

Brynden Tully

Bronn (assuming he dissolves his marriage to Lollys)

Areo Hotah

Asha Greyjoy

Mance Rayder

Barristan

Areo Hotah

Yohn Royce

Bronn

Victarion

Robert Strong

Mance

Others with potential: Wun Wun :) , Jaqen H'ghar, Brienne, Thoros, Balon, Strongboar, Garlan, Daemon Sand, Lyn Corbray, Darkstar, Harras Harlaw, Andrik the Unsmilling, Jorah, Lothor Brune, Richard Horpe, Black Walder, Addam Marbrand, Khal Jhaqo, Blackfish, Archibald Yronwood, etc... (I think I got most of the top fighters.)

I don't know what sort of fighting shape GreatJon, Sandor, Syrio, Loras, Strong Belwas, or Goldhand are in, so I left them out.

Brienne

Barristan Selmy

Brynden Tully 'The Blackfish'

Balon Swann

Loras Tyrell (if he is alive and his fighting skills are unimpaired)

Sandor Clegane (if he is alive)

Jorah Mormont

I was very tempted to include Jaime despite the loss of his sword hand. He is a survivor and is using his brain more, now that he can no

longer depend on his superior swordsmanship. He finds ways to outwit adversaries now since he can no longer overpower them. If Loras

or Sandor were unable to serve, Jaime would replace them.

The most important attribute of a Kingsguard is loyalty, not martial skill. What good would it do to have the most skilled swordsman in the realm if he's going to stab you in the back?

That said I pick:

Barristan Selmy

Jamie Lannister (One-Handed version)

Jorah Mormont

Brienne of Tarth

Sandor Clegane

Arya Stark (no one would see it coming, and she could change her appearence at will)

Weg Wun the Giant

I think that anyone who has turned on their masters before would would not be my choice for a King's Guard. That would rule out Ser Jaime (although he seems to have found his honor again, maybe), Sandor Clegane (he may need to save me from fire), Jorah Mormont (even though he seems to have switched back), Mance Rayder, etc. One would also do well to avoid those who seem motivated to much by self interest, like Bronn, Jorah (even if you don't think he betrayed Daenerys), Asha Greyjoy, Lyn Corbray etc. Also, I think that loyalty and devotion to service are of paramount importance to the office of King's Guard, even more so than martial skill. Balon Swann and Barristan Selmy have both served with distinction (although Selmy chose to serve his King's conqueror after doing all he could to protect him). Jon Snow would likely be a good choice, after his youthfull struggles with the vow as would many older men of the watch, like Denys Mallister or Jeor Mormont. Brienne of Tarth and Brynden Tully have both shown both willingness to serve and loyalty in addition to their skill at arms. And of course, there are dozens, even hundreds of perfectly suitable or even exceptional canidates that we've not been introduced to quite yet and may never be. The most important consideration is not to pick even one person who is disloyal by inclination, self serving or unwilling to live a life of servitude. Considering the position and responsibiliies that these people have placed upon them, Character is far more important a consideration than is talent.

Archived