In the event that Stannis wins... (spoilers)

King.In.Yellow

Emphasis added.

I'm not convinced of this to be honest. Even if you're playing a long game, abandoning both your seats for a place of uncertain allegiance, and somewhere without a formidable base of operations, hundreds or thousands of miles away from the Iron Throne makes little sense. I think that At least in the nearer term Stannis will focus on the North and the "darkness," that is to come. He saw the Night's Watch being routed in the fire, and he has long been aware of the possibility of this existential threat. He needs to unite the North to defend the North, and needs a Stark to do that. I'm not saying that he has abandoned his quest for the crown, but I think he has postponed it at he very least because otherwise there might not be a kingdom left to rule over.

There is also this, from GRRM:

emphasis added

http://www.amazon.co...TF8&docId=49161

Interesting how GRRM foremostly compares Stannis to Henry VII, the eventual winner of the War of the Roses -- the war that Westeros's "Game of Thrones" is most obviously based on.

Assuming Stannis wins the Battle of Ice, which I'm confident he will, I don't see the North splitting from him shortly thereafter. Whether the long term goal of the North is to ultimately go back to independence, now is not the time. There will still be several matters to sort out from a political perspective, not to mention the real / serious / main threat waiting beyond the wall, which very few are even aware of at this point. Stannis and the North will definitely need each other in the near future...

I fully expect chaos within Winterfell's wall, for all the genius credit Roose Bolton gets he is in a precarious situation no matter how you look at it. One Umber is outside the gates of Winterfell and one is inside those gates. That might be a problem.

This post is banking on the fact that stannis won't have to deal w the others after winning winterfell.

Considering current situation at NW and demise of Jon, stannis is going to have to use his forces to stop the others.

Also all the houses in north would be more concerned about saving their own lands against the others rather than trying to win south back for Stannis.

So it seems to me that Stannis & other northern houses will have bigger worry than winning the iron throne.

What I meant was, if stannis is able to install himself as rickons king then yes he will have the north but if manderly tricks davos stannis might have to work harder for northern support, or let them be their own kingdom in exchange for their help.

Ok, that makes a big difference. The people making the decision here are stannis, manderly, davos and other northern lords. Not Rickon.

The Dreadfort is the Boltons own force. Lady Dustin protests too much, their allegiance is questionable at best. And the Hornwood people aren't exactly keen on Ramsay murdering their Lady. Offer them a chance to jump ship and they'll do it.

By and large. If Stannis keeps on supporting the Starks. That's their first allegiance.

They'll join the Starks' forces. Stannis needs to respect that.

Again Stark forces. Reed was a pretty good friend of Ned, loyal subcommander for Robb and sent his own children to Bran.

Pretty much.

That's flat out impossible. A couple hundred miles and a couple hundred meters altitude differ nce of a canal dug with spades? Not gonna happen, not in the best of times. Which aren't now.

The Vale is very Stark-friendly. And of course Sansa is going to pull some strings. The BWB was initially sworn to the rightful monarch (read: Stannis) and later switched to Stark/Tully, where the rest of the Riverlands awaited them. The Ironborn lack the strength and the opportunities to make trouble for the North. Aegon is months away, on the other side of the Tyrell-Lannister alliance and lacks a navy. No clashes until the Lannisters are curbstomped.

The Twins probably won't even survive till Stannis can deal with them.

It's a minor detail, but the Brotherhood Without Banners was not "sworn to the rightful monarch." They fought in the name of King Robert even after he was dead, and that was it, until Cat took over.

That's flat out impossible. A couple hundred miles and a couple hundred meters altitude differ nce of a canal dug with spades? Not gonna happen, not in the best of times. Which aren't now.

Yes. Sorry about that. I forgot that the world of ice and fire has no bulldozers.

Regarding the allegiance of Lady Dustin and the Hornwood men: I assumed that Lady Dustin was telling the truth to Reek. I can hope she was lying through her teeth. Furthermore, House Dustin is apparently very powerful ADWD tells us that their seat, Barrowton, is the 4th most populous settlement in the north. The other three are probably White Harbor, Winterfell and the Dreadfort. That's a great deal of manpower, and Dustin only sent a token force south on Robb's campaign.

Regarding the Hornwood men... let them shank Ramsay.

Isn't celebrating Stannis with blackjack and hookers like celebrating the birth of Jesus with an obscene orgy of useless crap and fat food?... oh, wait. :dunce:

Like I said, we'll convert Stannis to the Drunk God, a religion I established just for these forums.

Archived