What would it take to kill a dragon?

Winter Warden

I believe that we'll see how a dragon can be killed in the next book(s). Not all, if any, of Dany's dragon will survive imo...

This. And I think they might all die in different ways, to be honest. Maybe one kills another, one gets shot by weirwood arrows to the dome, and the other gets taken down by an army of archers or the others or what not.

Captivity and starvation come to mind. it at least supposed their natural instincts. I don't see downed them being a great way to kill them. Dany sees the three hunting for fish when traveling to slaver's bay. Weirwood arrow through the eye has been a big hypothesis thanks to Torrhen's son wanting to try that. Perhaps poison, though losing the biggest poisoner in the series. Valyian swords maybe?

In all, I think we won't find out til Pate/the alchemist/Jaqen or Marwyn the Mage meets one and is ordered to kill it by his order.

In an open battle, the only way I can imagine you'd be able to kill it would be if you took out its wings and forced it to fight on the ground, where it could be surrounded and over-whelmed. As long as it can fly, it can drop in and out, wrecking whatever it wants with teeth and claws, not to mention fire. The easiest way to kill it would be in some sort of trap (lure it into a position where ballistae can take out its wings, it otherwise can't fly, or is vulnerable to a lethal blow, a la Fafnir).

That said, I do believe at least one will die. That's the way with dragons in fantasy -- they die, and their fame is forever linked to that of the one who killed them.

I think it's being telegraphed that weirwood arrows would do it. Weirwoods (beyond the Wall and in Winterfell) are shown to be highly resistant to fire, Jojen says "there's power in living wood, as strong as any fire" (paraphrased), and Brandon Snow had to get the idea from somewhere (a greenseer?).

I myself can hardly wait. B)

ETA: Oh, and Meraxes had to be grounded during a garden-variety thunderstorm. How well are they going to do in blizzard conditions? Rather poorly, I'd say.

Whence the weirwood arrow idea? Not something I've heard of 'til now.

Information about the Conquest that was released recently says that Brandon Snow, Torrhen Stark's bastard brother, wanted to assassinate the dragons using weirwood arrows. He didn't get the chance to because Torrhen knelt. But it begs the question of where he got the idea and why he thought it would work. Heat-resistant weirwood arrows would probably be likelier to do damage than arrows of normal wood, which, I'd think, would burn too easily once they hit the dragon.

Information about the Conquest that was released recently says that Brandon Snow, Torrhen Stark's bastard brother, wanted to assassinate the dragons using weirwood arrows. He didn't get the chance to because Torrhen knelt. But it begs the question of where he got the idea and why he thought it would work. Heat-resistant weirwood arrows would probably be likelier to do damage than arrows of normal wood, which, I'd think, would burn too easily once they hit the dragon.

Ah, thanks for that. Definitely sounds like a Chekhov's Gun, at that rate.

maybe those otherworldly shimmering swords the others weild? although, I suppose that the Others being so flammable doesn't bode well for that theory...

It's the wights that are flammable. Fire intimidates the Others, but we have not been told, so far, that even Dragon fire will kill them. It ought to chase them away, though. But I see Apple beat me to it. :)

Archived