Waking Dragons from stone...keyword...waking.

Team_Rob

How can you not compare them? They are very similar, kept going by their last purpose in life. A purpose that may dim with time but doesn't change. Only the motivation that drives them is different.

As for the BwB becoming darker, I think that was developing already while Beric still led them. Stoneheart is just a symptom of those developments. The BwB did not have to follow Stoneheart, they chose to follow her.

It's important to note that some of the BwB did leave when Lady Stoneheart took over.

Figure of speech. Not really smoke, just seemed as such from the warm blood and ice (steam).

Not like prophesies are so word for word, smoke could be steam when you are predicting the future. If it HAS to be smoke I think it HAS to be literally a three headed dragon

Just like the dragon has three heads, I believe the prophecy has three heroes. Dany is Azor Ahai because she woke the dragons, Jon is the Prince who was Promised to defend the realm from Others. I'm not 100% about the Last Hero, but my guess is that it would be the third dragon rider, so most likely Tyrion.

Not a bad idea, the last hero could be Bran. He is the only one far in the North, and the last hero went out alone to fight the others once all his companions were dead. One possibility is he goes out to fight the others in Hodor's body, but that may be a bit crackpot. Even if he is not the last hero he can do plenty to help the North with his being plugged into the heart tree spy network.

Theories:

Stone and salt are Shireen and Patchface

Shireen with the gray scale

Patch face for having died or nearly died under the sea, continually talking about life under the sea

I don't have a clear theory on how the two of them combine to wake him up, perhaps with the "kiss of life" that Thoros and Beric use.

Jon's wound smoked not steamed because he is the blood of the dragon. Don't know how any of us overlooked this.

Perhaps "kings blood" is magic not because it is the blood of a king, but because in Westeros it is the blood of a dragon, even when diluted. The red priests/priestesses are right about the power in it but for the wrong reason. Robert claimed ancestry from a Targaryan, which his bastards would carry. Mance or his children, might have called themselves kings but without blood of the dragon it is only words.

I like the Jon in a coma opening his third eye theory. Also remember that fire can't kill a dragon, if they try to burn his body.

I am also wondering if we aren't missing several refernces to Valyria, which is stone and fire and salt all in one as it is now, and is the source of so many things - Targaryans, dragons, faceless men, sorcery - and is the one seemingly important place that we've never approached in any of the books.

Not a bad idea, the last hero could be Bran. He is the only one far in the North, and the last hero went out alone to fight the others once all his companions were dead. One possibility is he goes out to fight the others in Hodor's body, but that may be a bit crackpot. Even if he is not the last hero he can do plenty to help the North with his being plugged into the heart tree spy network.

Last hero could certainly be Bran, but I can't see him being a dragon rider. Slightly crackpot here, what if Tyrion rides a dragon while Bran wargs it?

Theories:

Stone and salt are Shireen and Patchface

Shireen with the gray scale

Patch face for having died or nearly died under the sea, continually talking about life under the sea

I don't have a clear theory on how the two of them combine to wake him up, perhaps with the "kiss of life" that Thoros and Beric use.

Jon's wound smoked not steamed because he is the blood of the dragon. Don't know how any of us overlooked this.

Perhaps "kings blood" is magic not because it is the blood of a king, but because in Westeros it is the blood of a dragon, even when diluted. The red priests/priestesses are right about the power in it but for the wrong reason. Robert claimed ancestry from a Targaryan, which his bastards would carry. Mance or his children, might have called themselves kings but without blood of the dragon it is only words.

I like the Jon in a coma opening his third eye theory. Also remember that fire can't kill a dragon, if they try to burn his body.

I am also wondering if we aren't missing several refernces to Valyria, which is stone and fire and salt all in one as it is now, and is the source of so many things - Targaryans, dragons, faceless men, sorcery - and is the one seemingly important place that we've never approached in any of the books.

I thought Martin said being a Targ doesnt give you immunity to fire.

Last hero could certainly be Bran, but I can't see him being a dragon rider. Slightly crackpot here, what if Tyrion rides a dragon while Bran wargs it?

That would be awesome seeing as how i dont think a dwarf could properly mount and ride a dragon..

Why do folks seem so fixated on Tyrion riding a dragon? I'm not one to laugh at a dwarf but... that imagery is making it difficult not too.

Tiny man on a huge dragon? I suppose he's already been tossed and rode a pig in a mock tourney. Doesn't leave him with much dignity left to lose.

Personally, I think he'd be a great military tactician. He'll help Daenerys conquer Westeros with information that she vitally needs. She really knows nothing about the place. And while Selmy and Jorah are great fighters... they suck when there's "thinking" to be done. Selmy admits that himself.

Here a bit of a random theory.

sorry if its already been mentioned but ive not read every post

lady stoneheart is the prince that was promised. The red star being the red wedding. the salt for the guest right. smoke from the burning of the tents and pavillions outside the wedding.

She or her mindset is defo harder and stronger now too

I like the idea that jon is the sleeping stone dragon for the reason that he dosnt know hes a targ and the starks aresometimes describes as being like stones emotionally.

She travels to the wall and resurrects jon from where hes has been laid to rest in a ice cell and he is the prince that was promised or the dragon awoken..

thought??

Here a bit of a random theory.

sorry if its already been mentioned but ive not read every post

lady stoneheart is the prince that was promised. The red star being the red wedding. the salt for the guest right. smoke from the burning of the tents and pavillions outside the wedding.

She or her mindset is defo harder and stronger now too

I like the idea that jon is the sleeping stone dragon for the reason that he dosnt know hes a targ and the starks aresometimes describes as being like stones emotionally.

She travels to the wall and resurrects jon from where hes has been laid to rest in a ice cell and he is the prince that was promised or the dragon awoken..

thought??

Shrug. Ok... just makes for a pretty crappy story. I think GRRM is a better story teller than this. A lot of things are possible but I think it's important to focus on things that make the story mean something.

What exactly would catelyn resurrecting Jon accomplish for either of their storylines? She isn't capable of changing her feelings towards him anymore. Her mind is gone. She'd be more likely to kill Jon now for the hell of it than bring him back to life.

^^^^^ Yeah, Catelyn hated Jon more than anybody...except now maybe the Freys and Lannisters.

Also, I wonder if dragons from stone has something to do with the crypts at Winterfell. Whatever secret is down there will tell us who the real dragon is, right? Most likely? My brain is mush, maybe I'm mis-in-un-antiremembering things.

Play out the Caitlyn goes to the Wall theory.

Right now she has no reason to go there.

For her to resurrect Jon, at some point she'd need to find out the truth that he wasn't Ned's son. Didn't she tell Jon it should have been him who fell out the window?

So you need motivation + forgiveness.

Best motivation theory I can think of is that she learns that Bran isn't dead and went north. Alternatively, we might suggest that she finds out R+L=J, and is so overcome by guilt at having hated him, that she heads immediately to the Wall. Or she decides that being undead isn't for her, so she wants to return to Winterfell and be put to rest next to Ned (she can learn of Bran or Rickon being alive along the way). All of these are very shaky.

On forgiveness, there are a fairly limited number of people alive who know the truth, and even fewer who have any chance of coming into contact with Cat. Wylla could be anywhere; Jon Connington might know but he is way down past Storm's End. Ghost Ned telling her is just too deus ex machina, or Bran through a tree. Does Petyr know somehow? Reveal it to Sansa who gets it out somehow?

Any of these require a lot of plot to go buy, all during which Jon is dead and hypothetically frozen. Maybe the whole point of the dead people he put in the ice cells was to tell us how they were preserved, but even if we clapped our hands and Cat decides to ride north the moment Jon was stabbed, she's at least a month away, through Moat Cailin and all the North, which is under a blizzard right now.

I just don't see this one playing out.

Play out the Caitlyn goes to the Wall theory.

Right now she has no reason to go there.

For her to resurrect Jon, at some point she'd need to find out the truth that he wasn't Ned's son. Didn't she tell Jon it should have been him who fell out the window?

So you need motivation + forgiveness.

Best motivation theory I can think of is that she learns that Bran isn't dead and went north. Alternatively, we might suggest that she finds out R+L=J, and is so overcome by guilt at having hated him, that she heads immediately to the Wall. Or she decides that being undead isn't for her, so she wants to return to Winterfell and be put to rest next to Ned (she can learn of Bran or Rickon being alive along the way). All of these are very shaky.

On forgiveness, there are a fairly limited number of people alive who know the truth, and even fewer who have any chance of coming into contact with Cat. Wylla could be anywhere; Jon Connington might know but he is way down past Storm's End. Ghost Ned telling her is just too deus ex machina, or Bran through a tree. Does Petyr know somehow? Reveal it to Sansa who gets it out somehow?

Any of these require a lot of plot to go buy, all during which Jon is dead and hypothetically frozen. Maybe the whole point of the dead people he put in the ice cells was to tell us how they were preserved, but even if we clapped our hands and Cat decides to ride north the moment Jon was stabbed, she's at least a month away, through Moat Cailin and all the North, which is under a blizzard right now.

I just don't see this one playing out.

Well I agree with you that this is a stretch, GRRM made a very big choice in resurecting Catelyn. I doubt that the epilouge would have been put in for nothing. Whether she travels north or not, I believe that Cat is going to have a bigger role to play...

Well I agree with you that this is a stretch, GRRM made a very big choice in resurecting Catelyn. I doubt that the epilouge would have been put in for nothing. Whether she travels north or not, I believe that Cat is going to have a bigger role to play...

I think her role in the story will have more to do with Jaime and Brienne than any of the starks. Interesting twist. Brienne has to kill the woman she swore an oath too. That'd be a bonding experience for her and Jaime.

Brienne has to kill the woman she swore an oath too. That'd be a bonding experience for her and Jaime.

Well, at the risk of derailing this topic, the woman she swore an oath to was Catelyn - Catelyn is technically dead, and didn't Brienne say something along the lines of that oaths sworn to the dead are more important or must be honoured or something?

IMO, she may use this to justify killing Lady Stoneheart - because the oath sworn was to her former self as Catelyn, not Stoneheart and Catelyn is dead in some form or another.

I dont know the "official status" of Aegon IV and whether he is a fake or not, but if he isn't, I would presume he would be the last dragon rider.

He'd be hard pressed to do so: he's been dead for over a 100 years.

Archived