The Physics of Eating a Horse's Heart

Blue Rose Prince

Definite BS. When you run across this sort of thing, you just look the other way and whistle like you never saw it.

In the latest WoW sample chapter, similarly, there's a reference to Oberyn Martell's bastard teenaged daughter jousting.

Well... I'm thinking a 16-year old girl would almost certainly have major difficulties trying to hoist a 12-foot-long tourney lance from one end, keep it parallel to the ground, and somehow strike a trained knight with it... while riding a horse and wearing armor... all before the knight hits her first. Most girls can't do a pullup.

I think it's not impossible, people were tougher back in the middle ages.And I assure you that at 16 I was capable of doing what you described... except for the last part of hitting the knight first but that's just because I have no practice at jousting whatsoever.Granted I am a man but I never was particularly strong, so if a sixteen years old modern day man can do it I see no real reason why one of the stronger sixteen years old medieval girls not to be able to do it too.

Well, she certainly wasn't average. And a girl of ten-and-four would have less trouble with the task than, for example, a certain ten-year-old boy.

Yeah, well both are BS, as someone said above, when you deal with a scene like this, you should simple pretend you didn't read it and move on, or simple said "it's fantasy and this is a different world than ours"...

Definite BS. When you run across this sort of thing, you just look the other way and whistle like you never saw it.

In the latest WoW sample chapter, similarly, there's a reference to Oberyn Martell's bastard teenaged daughter jousting.

Well... I'm thinking a 16-year old girl would almost certainly have major difficulties trying to hoist a 12-foot-long tourney lance from one end, keep it parallel to the ground, and somehow strike a trained knight with it... while riding a horse and wearing armor... all before the knight hits her first. Most girls can't do a pullup.

Hey, nobody said she won!

(Male) squires her age would have been riding at rings and dummys for years. Hitting that is entirely possible if you trained a bit.

While watching Game of Thrones the other day, my dad (a farmer, of course) pointed out that the average horse's heart weighs something like nine pounds. I was completely stuck for an answer, so I re-read the chapter in the book. Sure enough, Dany eats the whole wild stallion heart raw.

Does anyone out there have a suggestion as to how this might have been possible? Or did GRRM just not know or throw it in for the sake of art?

PS. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the scene. I'm just wondering...

[[edited for grammar]]

I guess if the Khalessi thing does not work out for her she has a future competing in hot dog eating contests.

Yeah, i've learned that there are a few things in the books that you just have to ignore, or you will get crazy and people will start calling you names for pointing them out. Now i just try to nod along and enjoy the story!

(Tho i'll never buy that the "hips size thingy" is just a mistake or different taste on size lol)

Just appreciate the scene for it's awesomeness. I'm seeing posters say they hate the scene now. IMO, you're demanding too much reality from fiction. It's an AWESOME scene. And she was training for it. Maybe she stretched her stomach enough. The Japanese guy that was a multi-time world champion hot dog eater was Dany's size.

She roasted herself in a funeral pyre and hatched three dragon eggs, yet the horse heart eating is what interrupts the suspension of disbelief.

what a ridiculous answer. magic in a fantasy story obviously isnt gonna blow anyones mind, but theres not supposed to be anything magical about dany eating the horses heart. presumably, dany should be able to eat as much as any other human.

Phar Lap (1926–1932) was one of the greatest race horses ever! His heart was remarkable for its size, weighing 13.6 lbs (6.2 kg), compared to the average horse's heart at the time of 7 lbs (3.2 kg).

Secretariat's heart was estimated to be 22 pounds (10 kg). Many of the legends in racing had supersized hearts!

And I agree, not even Wyman Manderly could have finished Phar Lap's massive heart much less Secretariat's. :lol:

Many competative food eaters are small asian women. Its preaty impressive how much some of them can eat.

Sorry for the horse history, but as someone who knows a lot about horses, I don't think Dany being able to eat a whole Dothrak horse heart is that unrealistic (because I don't think Dothrak horses have 9 pound hearts).

Thank you for your posts in this thread, they were very informative. Can I just say that I love that we have so many knowledgeable people here? I'm always finding out something new, it's great.

(My personal favorite was when there was that huge debate about whether Dany is fireproof based on the dragon-taming incident in ADWD where her hair caught on fire, but her scalp wasn't burned and IIRC more than one person who once set their hair on fire showed up and clarified that you didn't need to be fire-resistant for that to happen. :P)

Archived