Tormund, Husband to Bears.

“Cutting out the eyes, that’s the Weeper’s work. The best crow’s a blind crow, he likes to say. Sometimes I think he’d like to cut out his own eyes, the way they’re always watering and itching. Snow’s been assuming the free folk would turn to Tormund to lead them, because that’s what he would do. He liked Tormund, and the old fraud liked him too. If it’s the Weeper, though … that’s not good. Not for him, and not for us.”

Who is the "old fraud" Mance is talking about here? I think it is probably the Old Bear. It fits with Mance saying Jon liked Tormund and the previous LC liked him too, I am not sure anyone else would fit in the context of the quote. Mance knew Tormund was friendly with the Mormonts (not just the women) and thinks Joer is a hypocrite because of this.

I believe he's talking about Jon Snow and Tormund here. Snow is mentioned in the sentence prior:

Snow's been assuming...

Then we get: He (Jon Snow) liked Tormund, and the old fraud (Tormund) liked him (Jon Snow), too.

That's my interpretation of that bit, anyway.

• 4 months later...

That's my second-favorite theory on Tormund's love life. My favorite is Tormund Giantsbane and Ms Umber:

- Ms Umber was stolen thirty years ago. Fits a young Tormund to a T.

- Stealing an important Lord's granddaughter/niece/cousin would make any raider famous. It's just like Bael the Bard and the Blue Rose of Winterfell.

- Giantsbane could very well refer to the Umber sigil.

- Tall Toregg has a vastly different build from his father, but rather similar to the Umbers.

What a WONDERFUL theory! i pray its all true, including the mormont theory. I hope they all find out about each other, however, wouldnt want to them commit incest.

I think you're missing one of Jon's points: Having crossed the Wall doesn't mean you're a raider, as Mance obviously crossed the Wall several times (and Jon specifically says Mance was never a raider, rapist or beast). Conclusively, you can't say that not being a raider means one's never climbed the Wall.

Why is he called Mance Raider?

I think you're missing one of Jon's points: Having crossed the Wall doesn't mean you're a raider, as Mance obviously crossed the Wall several times (and Jon specifically says Mance was never a raider, rapist or beast). Conclusively, you can't say that not being a raider means one's never climbed the Wall.

Why is he called Mance Raider?

Because he's an orphan the Watch raised after they caught his raider parents. A bastard name for the guys beyond the Wall and a bad joke.

Yeah, but they did change the spelling by putting a "y" where the "i" should be. Maybe the guy who came up with it couldn't spell?

Archived