Epilogue Guess

Azor Ahoy!

• 7 months later...

I'm not sure that tWoW will even have an epilogue. GRRM seems to reserve them for books that conclude an "act." Merett Frey for aSoS, which concluded the first three, Kevan Lannister to aDwD, which concluded the bad two, I think that aDoS will have an epilogue to conclude the epic finale portion, but that tWoW won't.

• 2 weeks later...

My guess is an Aegon chapter as the ending. We find out he really is real and we've just read dany landing on westeros. But Aegon is a king in kings landing crowned anointed and all that, he still is arrogant and a prick and doesn't listen to Joncon.

There's a battle maybe putting down tyrells or stannis not sure who maybe even LF/Sansa. And Jonco & varys advises him to send GC and others as commander but he insists on commanding it himself and takes to battle after everything looking so good a few soldiers break the lines and duck tries to protect Aegon but fails and get killed. Then Aegon tries to defend himself but too many he get his chest caved in with a war hammer and as he's dying he whispers "lyanna".

Or even better instead all as before except he has gray scale and he keeps cutting parts off but it keeps coming back he's missing a foot then a leg then a finger and a hand then the arm then it ends with him jumping off Margors holdfast.

If there is an epilogue, or not the last scene of the book, I believe will be a big epic dragon vs dragon scene. Or maybe dragon vs wight walkers,...North or beyond the wall.....Rhaegal and or viserion, roasting wights.....all is going well, dragon riders are destroying wight walkers, until one dragon goes down, injured or wings get to iced, (just like an airplane) and a wight walker/nights king walks up to the dragon and touches it, close up of the dragons eye as the firelight and molten shine dimmer and slowly turn to a crystalline blue.......

I don't think there will be an epilogue because the books (to me at least) are arranged as acts.

A game of thrones to a storm of swords - Act I

A feast for crows and a dance of dragons - Act II

The Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring - Act III

And at the end of each act, there is an epilogue (Frey being hung by Stoneheart and Kevan being shot by Varys) so I think if there is an epilogue it will be in book 7

Why is everyone so convinced that the wall is coming down? People talking about the wall coming down sound like Irri and Jhiqui. But it is not known. It cannot be known. But anyways, I would love a Moqorro or Benerro epilogue/prologue. We need to see what the R'hlorriors have up their sleeves or see in their fires.

I think its one thing people just seem coming that wall or the Others are coming over it one way or the other. I think the Epilogue will have Summer, Ghost, Shaggydog and Nymeria meeting up with the Children of the Forest to prepare for the final battle of Man. (yes, I don't care I want all those Direwolves to live)

My crackpot hopes are that, by the ending of tWoW: (1) the Others have launched a full-on invasion of Westeros and at a bare minimum hold Winterfell; and (2) Cersei burns Kings Landing to the ground with the wildfire stashed by Aerys. Both events must happen in this book: if Martin waits until aDoS for one or the other, there won't be enough time for a satisfying resolution or for someone to save the day.

If there's an epilogue, it will be somebody important from King's Landing travelling north to warn the north about the immolation of King's Landing, only to be killed by an other. Alternatively, someone important from the North travels to King's Landing to warn about the Others only to be burned to a crisp when King's Landing goes up in flames.

No, it will be impossible. Do you really believe that Winterfell will stay with the boltons for all of WoW?

Never thought about that. It makes a lot of sense so thank you.

The first will never happen. The second probably (20%), but with benjen as their captive. However, I believe that it is impossible for us to guess the epilogue chapter. Would have you known it will be a frey in SoS or Kevan in DoD

From what I've surmised, the epiloges feature characters from houses that have largely fallen off their pedestal into public disdain, throughout their arcs (GoT-SoS, and F/D). Also, the ones that kill them are from a house that rises again from below and was their liege lord at one time.

In GoT-SoS, the Frey's go from a House that needs to be taken seriously, to a House that - would eventually - be despised by everybody for breaking guestrights. The Starks/Tullys were marginalized throughout GoT-SoS in the public eye, mostly Starks though: Lord Ned, Cat, King Robb, Lord Hoster, and all but Sansa thought dead. With Brynden and Edmure being pinned in Riverrun and Lysa being Lysa. UnCat's forces do the deed. Catelyn, as a Tully had fealty over the Frey's, and even as a Stark as the mother of the King of the North/Riverlands.

In F/D, the Lannisters take a harsh beating and dark clouds are looming. Yes, Jaime already lost his hand, Tywin already kicked the bucket, and Joffrey I B. has been murdered, but overall the status of House Lannister hits rock bottom (and if the TV-show is anything to go by, so have their mines) in F/D. Cersei spends most of her time in a prison but loses every inch of power she has after her walk of shame, Jaime walks into what seems to be a trap, Tyrion (the rightful heir to CR) has somehow ended up becoming a sellsword. Their King isn't even legit if Cersei's trial goes really sour.. Scattered, while the least capable was in control the most. Then Kevan comes back into KL/picture, the last hope the house effectively had with Cersei locked up, awaiting trial and Tommen being baited by the Tyrell's, Jaime not in control and Tyrion wretched from their clutches.

And what happens, a marginalized house that has been creeping in the shadows comes back up and pushes them even further into despair. Varys, whether he is a Targ/Blackfyre or just a spin doctor (for those who don't know Dutch, that's a pun) for fAegon's campaign, he - who was the one that convinced Aerys to open the gates for Tywin - basically kicks House Lannister to the curb. Need I mention him killing Pycelle is also a kick to House Lannister? Also, considering Varys is advocating the Dragon-campaigns (for whichever reason), he is advocating for a House that once ruled over the Lannisters.

So basically, the common grounds between the two current epiloges are:

- POV: A member whose from a House that has fallen into severe public disdain in that arc.

- Killer: A member of a House that is seemingly crawling back up from the shadows and held fealty over the house of the POV at one point.

My guess would be Petyr Baelish, lord Paramount of the Trident and Harrenhal, Lord protector of the Vale. I'd reckon his entire scheme having fallen apart in a Dream of Spring. Now, as he has quite a few claims at this point, I'm looking at Harrenhal, which at one point had a lot of houses sworn to it when King Harren still ruled - among which House Tully of Riverrun. Now I know nobody gives a crap about the Tully's or Arryn's, but what if the final scene of the series is Littlefinger biting the dust to either the Blackfish, or Harry the Heir?

I'm not sure that tWoW will even have an epilogue. GRRM seems to reserve them for books that conclude an "act." Merett Frey for aSoS, which concluded the first three, Kevan Lannister to aDwD, which concluded the bad two, I think that aDoS will have an epilogue to conclude the epic finale portion, but that tWoW won't.

The thing is.. with Dance leaving so many things left undone (due to size issues) it just didn't feel like it felt finished to me. I know it was supposed to have the battle of Meereen and perhaps the battle with Stannis, but it just didn't feel like an act was finished and thus warranted that Epilogue. I know they were supposed to be in it, and hence the Epilogue was there by default, but it still didn't feel like the closing of a true act as in SoS.

Especially, as a first time reader, it felt as if Feast/Dance was set up for the second trilogy or whatever, as it was meant to be a single tome.

My crackpot hopes are that, by the ending of tWoW: (1) the Others have launched a full-on invasion of Westeros and at a bare minimum hold Winterfell; and (2) Cersei burns Kings Landing to the ground with the wildfire stashed by Aerys. Both events must happen in this book: if Martin waits until aDoS for one or the other, there won't be enough time for a satisfying resolution or for someone to save the day.

If there's an epilogue, it will be somebody important from King's Landing travelling north to warn the north about the immolation of King's Landing, only to be killed by an other. Alternatively, someone important from the North travels to King's Landing to warn about the Others only to be burned to a crisp when King's Landing goes up in flames.

Perhaps the wildfire will be the climax (lol, the 9th episode) of the book? Laughing hard at the last line though.. xD

• 5 weeks later...

I don't think there will be an epilogue because the books (to me at least) are arranged as acts.

A game of thrones to a storm of swords - Act I

A feast for crows and a dance of dragons - Act II

The Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring - Act III

And at the end of each act, there is an epilogue (Frey being hung by Stoneheart and Kevan being shot by Varys) so I think if there is an epilogue it will be in book 7

Book 7 Epilogue - Boltons being eaten by direwolves.

After re reading bran ı in adwd I'm pretty positive coldhands is benjen..

Anywho, I think the prologue will be Khal jhago, he will be riding along and find dany and be drogons lunch, then mago will get the khalasar to follow her..

As for the epilogue, it'll be either ramsay of roose..

i believe it was leaf who said it but anyways one the COTF said that cold hands had been dead a long time, its most likely the nights king IMO, but im pretty positive the coldhands is not benjen.. benjen still has a much more important role to come IMO

Well the last 2 epilogues have been someone returning (Varys - [disappeared post aSoS] and Catelyn) , but from someone else's point of view, and the endings also normally have a return of some kind (Dragons in aGoT, Pate in aFfC) with aCoK being the exception (when Bran and Rickon left Winterfell).

If it were to keep to this theme, then possible candidates to be returning are:

1) Benjen (If he were to return though, it would most likely to be in a Jon or Bran POV)

2) The Blackfish (could potentially also be a Littlefinger POV aswell)

3) Rickon (most likely to return in a Davos POV)

4) Gerold Dayne (Would probably have to be Balon Swann, Obara Sand, a random Dayne, or Wylla if she's still in Starfall)

5) Loras Tyrell (since many people think he isn't at death's door on Dragonstone)

6) Nymeria

7) Edric Dayne (a longshot)

8) The Hound

The following are possibilities, that have only been mentioned by other characters, not appearing beforehand:

1) Ashara Dayne

2) Howland Reed

3) Gerion Lannister (extreme longshot, but could have an epic reunion with Tyrion)

4) Wylla

I think a decent ending for tWoW would be Walder Frey's death rather than any of these.

Archived