Top 7 military commanders in ASOIAF (including Robert's Rebellion)

Fetch me a block

She is hated because she will more than likely wipe the floor with most people's favorite character, anything they say or predicted is nothing but wishful thinking. She hasn't lost a battle yet either, so she must be mentioned in the top 3 of any military commander list.

She's fought 3 battles, one with dragons.

"3 victories don't make you a conqueror"

Here is my list of best military commanders in ASOIAF, I have given more options because I cant decide which one of them comes before the other

1. Robert Baratheon/Bloodraven - BR hasn't fought any battles in a long time but he is still a part of ASOIAF and I have included him as he yet lingers on,

2. Tywin Lannister/Randall Tarly/Eddard Stark

3. Stannis Baratheon/Jon Snow/Robb Stark/Ser Brynden Tully/Ser Barristan Selmy/Ser Lyn Corbray - Ser Barristan Selmy is a good battle commander but in the reign of Aerys lived in the shadow of his white brothers (Ser Arthur Dayne/Ser Gerald Hightower/Prince Lewyn Martell), I have included Lyn Corbray as he broke the Dornish Army in the battle of Trident during Robert's Rebellion, the Dornish host was led by Prince Lewyn Martell who had a very good reputation, Lyn Corbray has a fearsome reputation in the vale as well.

4. Bronze Yohn Royce - has a good reputation in the Vale second only to Lyn Corbray

5. Victarion Greyjoy

6. Davos - I have included him as in ACOK he saw the danger of the boom/chain and thought how he would have done it differently than Estermont, Davos would make a good Admiral

7. Mathis Rowan/Kevan Lannister - he has a good reputation as we know from the comments of Kevan Lannister and he himself can do well as a battle commander.

Was it not Ser Imry Florent who was commanding the fleet?

And I think Victarion can fight personally, but he can't do much without Euron holding his hand. I like it how you mentioned Bronze Yohn, he clearly knows his shit.

The OP list looks pretty good to me, but I think Randyll Tarly is more of a soldier than an actual commander. I think Mance Rayder is a lot more fitting than him, he did unite 100k wildlings under a single cause, which is an achievement that has to be acknowledged.

But, since he wasn't part of any battle for the throne, I guess we should leave him out of this. Perhaps Euron Crow's Eye deserves to be up there, his taking of the Shields was executed brilliantly, and I am 100% confident he still has more than a few tricks up his sleeve.

As to Jon Snow, I also think he shouldn't be up there for the same reason Mance isn't. He just has nothing to do with any war for the throne. If Stannis comes out with his hand on top against the Boltons, then he might deserve a place up there, but not right now I think. If the list should include people with no connection to the Ninepenny, RR or WotFK, Mance should be up there before Jon.

I like that comment so much, Dany wasn't even mentioned and we know she's been wiping the floor with people. I think she's up to 5 battles and 3 personal quests all victories.

No, just 3 battles. Astapor, Yunkai and Meereen. 3 Victories don't make you a conqueror.

I give Tarly credit for particularly for Ashford but I wouldn't consider Duskendale that great an accomplishment for him because of that and also because a. The Northmen were walking into a trap and b. They still managed to inflict pretty heavy casualties on his men.

Cornered armies are always going to inflict heavy losses, it doesn't speak against him

Jon saved Stannis's bacon in Dance. Stannis was about to blindly charge into a trap at the Dreadfort. At the tender age of 16 Jon already shows more tactical nous and strategic vision than Stannis.

Yes, but Stannis is higher simply because he has fought and won more battles than anyone else I can think of.

The OP list looks pretty good to me, but I think Randyll Tarly is more of a soldier than an actual commander. I think Mance Rayder is a lot more fitting than him, he did unite 100k wildlings under a single cause, which is an achievement that has to be acknowledged.

But, since he wasn't part of any battle for the throne, I guess we should leave him out of this. Perhaps Euron Crow's Eye deserves to be up there, his taking of the Shields was executed brilliantly, and I am 100% confident he still has more than a few tricks up his sleeve.

As to Jon Snow, I also think he shouldn't be up there for the same reason Mance isn't. He just has nothing to do with any war for the throne. If Stannis comes out with his hand on top against the Boltons, then he might deserve a place up there, but not right now I think. If the list should include people with no connection to the Ninepenny, RR or WotFK, Mance should be up there before Jon.

Put people wherever you want

No, just 3 battles. Astapor, Yunkai and Meereen. 3 Victories don't make you a conqueror.

But to leave her off the list completely and not even a mention sorry freind but thats a mistake. reason being she does more with less and is the undefeated breaker of chains.

top 7

Stannis

Tywin

Rob

Dany

Arryn

Robert

Jon Con

she went from having a few dozen people wandering starving in the desert to having a formidable army in what, a year or two? and won battles along the way. what more does she have to do?

and we're not talking about morality or reputation in this discussion, it's pure military success.

Because her victories have been 1 - against an enemy who had no warning and only a token force. 2 - Comprised mostly of Prostitutes 3 - This one was her actual military success and yes credit to her for it

But to leave her off the list completely and not even a mention sorry freind but thats a mistake. reason being she does more with less and is the undefeated breaker of chains.

top 7

Stannis

Tywin

Rob

Dany

Arryn

Robert

Jon Con

Why is Tywin higher than Robb? Interesting list though.

Archived