Top 7 military commanders in ASOIAF (including Robert's Rebellion)

Fetch me a block

Why is Tywin higher than Robb? Interesting list though.

Because Tywin didn't stop breathing before Rob, and chalked up alot of victories, true they were'nt honorable or even hard fought but sometimes the little battles, and subterfuge lead to huge gains.

Because Tywin didn't stop breathing before Rob, and chalked up alot of victories, true they were'nt honorable or even hard fought but sometimes the little battles, and subterfuge lead to huge gains.

Tywin was alive longer and victorious because he was a good politician, not a good military commander. His skills as a general aren't that great. He hasn't won any battles worthy of him being considered one of the best.

i personally think that ned was probably a good commander, but problem is that we dont really get much details, like what strategies he put in place to ensure victory like we do with those commanders that we see fight in aSoIaF itself so its difficult to put him in the rankings

i'm resorting to an unordered list because there are different factors to consider that some commanders are going to be better in than others and vice versa. there's overall military strategy, tactics, and just good old leadership

tyWIN lannister

• "some wars are won with swords, others with quills and ravens." you don't have to kill all the other guy's men, just win. i believe tywin has the greatest overall strategic mind. he is quick to realize what needs to be done at any given moment and isn't afraid to commit. tyrion can be thrown in here too because he takes after tywin a lot more than people realize.

brynden tully

• the blackfish was responsible for the backbone of robb's military strategy. and he's one tough son-of-a-bitch. i consider him the greatest tactician out of this group.

robb stark

• even though he had ol' uncle brynden helping him out, robb was a natural-born leader in the field and great fighter. can you say 'undefeated?' for those of you discussing robert baratheon, i feel he was the same kind of inspiring leader, while jon arryn and ned, the cooler heads, did more of the strategic planning.

stannis baratheon

• that stannis has even made it this far speaks volumes of his capabilites. the odds have been stacked against him from the beginning. and he is the only man to defeat victarion greyjoy at sea. which i take to mean he is an exceptional naval commander. stannis is one of the greatest survivalists of the series. and that counts for something.

honorable mentions:

• randyll tarly
  • euron/victarion greyjoy
  • ned stark/jon arryn

i want to include the martell brothers because i feel like they could have been a FORCE working in sync. but we haven't seen any concrete examples of their military capabilities.

jon snow and edmure tully? really? LOL.

i'm resorting to an unordered list because there are different factors to consider that some commanders are going to be better in than others and vice versa. there's overall military strategy, tactics, and just good old leadership

tyWIN lannister

• "some wars are won with swords, others with quills and ravens." you don't have to kill all the other guy's men, just win. i believe tywin has the greatest overall strategic mind. he is quick to realize what needs to be done at any given moment and isn't afraid to commit. tyrion can be thrown in here too because he takes after tywin a lot more than people realize.

brynden tully

• the blackfish was responsible for the backbone of robb's military strategy. and he's one tough son-of-a-bitch. i consider him the greatest tactician out of this group.

robb stark

• even though he had ol' uncle brynden helping him out, robb was a natural-born leader in the field and great fighter. can you say 'undefeated?' for those of you discussing robert baratheon, i feel he was the same kind of inspiring leader, while jon arryn and ned, the cooler heads, did more of the strategic planning.

stannis baratheon

• that stannis has even made it this far speaks volumes of his capabilites. the odds have been stacked against him from the beginning. and he is the only man to defeat victarion greyjoy at sea. which i take to mean he is an exceptional naval commander. stannis is one of the greatest survivalists of the series. and that counts for something.

honorable mentions:

• randyll tarly
  • ned stark/jon arryn

i want to include the martell brothers because i feel like they could have been a FORCE working in sync. but we haven't seen any concrete examples of their military capabilities.

You severely underestimate Eddard Stark as a battle commander. He is likely the top commander of his generation.

tyWIN lannister

brynden tully

robb stark

stannis baratheon

honorable mentions:

• randyll tarly
  • ned stark/jon arryn

Jon clearly knew his stuff militarily. Because of him, Stannis now has the skill set to fight in the South AND the North. His defence of the Wall was sterling.

As for Edmure, the battle of the Fords was one of the best examples of a brilliantly planned unconventional battle, and may have actually saved Robb's bacon; Tywin had more troops and many different types of troops, whereas Robb had 5-6,000 cavalry, and Tywin would have been on the home ground if he had passed.

I put Robb so high because he is definitely the smartest when the odds are against him, and he is definitely the most talented. He's like Robert in that he moves quickly and always takes the initiative. Westeros truly lost a great commander when he died. Also, only him and his dad are undefeated on the battlefield.

Robb was the one I rooted for and a damn good commander, but I have to say Stannis Baratheon seems the best commander. He has the smallest army and the least number of reliable advisors yet still almost wins at the Blackwater and his cause is still alive.

Tywin Lannister could never really even anticipate what Robb was going to do and couldn't beat Robb despite being such a rich man with all the soldiers and gold he had. Seems all talk to me.

Jon clearly knew his stuff militarily. Because of him, Stannis now has the skill set to fight in the South AND the North. His defence of the Wall was sterling.

As for Edmure, the battle of the Fords was one of the best examples of a brilliantly planned unconventional battle, and may have actually saved Robb's bacon; Tywin had more troops and many different types of troops, whereas Robb had 5-6,000 cavalry, and Tywin would have been on the home ground if he had passed.

ok, i'll give you that they're not complete fools. edmure seems to have smartened up a bit since jaime lannister handed him his ass. jon does have a good head on his shoulders but i still consider him young and unseasoned. they're both learning as they go though.

just not enough for me to rank them among the best commanders in westeros.

Robb was the one I rooted for and a damn good commander, but I have to say Stannis Baratheon seems the best commander. He has the smallest army and the least number of reliable advisors yet still almost wins at the Blackwater and his cause is still alive.

Stannis is an average commander, but his tenacity is off the charts.

Seriously, he is not a name you would ever mention when talking about the brilliance of men like Hannibal Barca, Alexander the Great, Napolean Bonaparte, Von Manstein etc.

His plans are straighforward and methodical, but hardly brilliant. His Blackwater strategy was simply based on having overhwelming numbers. His charge at the Wall was 1000 armoured knights on destriers, against Stone Age rabble. His march through the Wolf's Wood is idiocy and should result in certain death for any real life army.

His defense of Storm's End during the Rebellion was again just an example of grit, determination and tenacity.

He is truly not a brilliant battle strategist. He is more like a bulldog that won't let go, no matter the odds. That doesn't guarantee victory. It merely guarantees that he will fight to the last man.

Seriously, he is not a name you would ever mention when talking about the brilliance of men like Hannibal Barca, Alexander the Great, Napolean Bonaparte, Von Manstein etc.

His plans are straighforward and methodical, but hardly brilliant. His Blackwater strategy was simply based on having overhwelming numbers. His charge at the Wall was 1000 armoured knights on destriers, against Stone Age rabble. His march through the Wolf's Wood is idiocy and should result in certain death for any real life army.

His defense of Storm's End during the Rebellion was again just an example of grit, determination and tenacity.

He is truly not a brilliant battle strategist. He is more like a bulldog that won't let go, no matter the odds. That doesn't guarantee victory. It merely guarantees that he will fight to the last man.

you know what? you've convinced me. that's what he is. tenacious.

The way he has Winterfell set up, and the manner of his win beyond the Wall (sending heavy cavalry rushing through the enemy like a line of fire) makes me disagree with you saying he lacks that brilliance factor (like His Grace Robb did).

I think the Battle of Winterfell, where he seems to be aiming to lure the enemy onto unstable ice and have them drown, will be a stroke of brilliance.

ok, i'll give you that they're not complete fools. edmure seems to have smartened up a bit since jaime lannister handed him his ass. jon does have a good head on his shoulders but i still consider him young and unseasoned. they're both learning as they go though.

just not enough for me to rank them among the best commanders in westeros.

Which is why in my book they are honourable mentions

For what he plans though, he has a great success rate

For what he plans though, he has a great success rate

But the Battle of the Blackwater is probably the single biggest military disaster in the entire series to date.

How many troops did he lose there? How many ships?

His strategic position went from the commander of the most powerful host in Westeros before the battle, to being left with nothing except a remnant of 1500 troops afterwards, being forced to flee to the outer reaches of the Kingdom to escape his enemies.

In strategic terms that is as bad as operation Barbarossa in WW2. A devestating strategic reversal.

But the Battle of the Blackwater is probably the single biggest military disaster in the entire series to date.

How many troops did he lose there? How many ships?

His strategic position went from the commander of the most powerful host in Westeros before the battle, to being left with nothing except a remnant of 1500 troops afterwards, being forced to flee to the outer reaches of the Kingdom to escape his enemies.

In strategic terms that is as bad as operation Barbarossa in WW2. A devestating strategic reversal.

Worse than Barbarossa, actually I'd say.

Archived