Jon Snow's Future - Theories old and new

OldGod

Sorry if this has been said already, I haven't read all the pages yet 'cause I wanted to post my thought before I forgot this little bit. No, I don't want Jon to be resurrected by Mel, it's too obvious and too flat; your compilation makes for a much more interesting counterpart (or counter theory, I guess...) :) And a way for this to work out splendidly is if she CAN'T revive him - because the Lord of Light doesn't have need of him, which was the explanation for Beric's resurrection...but the Old Gods do! I really can't imagine Jon on the "Pro-Fire Extremist"-side, even if he is (AND HE IS) the offspring of R + L.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, this is my first post as I've just finished reading the books.

OP, I like your post and overall theory. After reading the books, and subscribing to the R+L=J theory. I've come to believe that "a song of ice and fire" is about Jon himself, not Jon and Dany. Ice is L and Fire is R.

I do believe that he will be reborn. Its possible that Mel could give her life for him, but we've been down that road w/ Beric twice.

BUT, for the people fearful of him ending up like Lady Stonehart, 1 Beric was less that whole after dying 7(?) times. And I don't think anyone mentioned it, Caitelyn was left in the river for 3 days. I feel like that was the bigger issue. Beric to my knowledge always kept the physical ailments that caused his death (loss of eye etc) So that's the bigger reason why Lady Stoneheart has pale skin and can barely talk.

I'm fairly sure that all hell will break loose, but a if a Jon Snow resurrection can't mend both sides, I don't know what can, lol.

Part of me wonders if he ultimately dies in an effort to save the lands near the end. Or if him and Dany rule together. (IF R+L=J they would fit the Targaryen marriage rules). He also is one of the few people she isn't warned about in the prophecy lol.

If Mel doesn't resurrect him, I have a harder time thinking how it happens.

I could kind of see the Theon sacrifice, but can't remember other similar things in the book ( not saying it didn't happen, i really just don't remember). I would feel like Theon would need to make it to the wall to perform a sacrifice in closer proximity. But there is probably a link b/w him and Bran. While we kind of see Brans true purpose, I think he obviously has some major role to play in the outcome of the story. Him growing up to become an old fortune telling tree seems a bit dull, lol. And the fact that bran has tried to talk to Theon (and he heard him) would suggest there is something there.

Also Theon probably has a redemptive arc and I would think does something major to make up for betraying House Stark and WF.

So overall good post and theory!

• 5 months later...

What if Jon dies and doesn't come back? I know people would be disappointed, but it would truly be the most surprising way GRRM could deal with the Jon situation. And in a way I could see this happening. We never truly found out who Jon's parents were and he was never able to fight off the Others. But his character would still have had a meaningful character arc. Going from a loyal brother of the NW who, for the most part, took his oath very seriously to a Lord Commander who tried to use the Watch for his own purposes and thus breaking his oath in the worst way, we have seen his character evolve. I think if he just remained dead and his death was the result of his oathbreaking it would make sense and be meaningful. Perhaps, Jon's parentage and his lost potential would be representative of the things that could have been and how in real life some mysteries go unanswered.

But, personally I think he'll be revived by the magic of plot armor.

Very good post OP, i enjoyed reading it. A couple of things to address:

1) You mention that the NW would push the Wildlings North and this would allow them to be at the grove of Weirwoods. My problem with this is that the Wildlings vastly outnumber the Nights Watch, and this time therr is no Wall to give yhe NW an advantage. So of it came to a fight, the Wildlings would almost undoubtedly win (also i think some of the NW would join the Wildlihs after the coup, there are a still Jon loyalists)

2) Your theory (or collaboration of theories i suppose?) is based off the assumptio Jon is dead and will be ressurected, but personally I think he is seriously injured but alive. Obviously its just differring opinion as can be expected from what little we know :) But i think that Val will play a role in saving Jon, acting as a healer using treatments known by the Wildlings (like the woman who healed Mance).

3) i personally think that if Mel knew Jon's identity, and remained convinced Stannis was Azor Ahai reborn... Well Jon would have King's blood, and if sje felt that a sacrafice was needed for Stannis to succeed... Well you see where i am going with that. I dont think she would be able to sacrafice him, but if she learned the truth then it remains a possibility, although if she tries I believe she would fail.

Anyway, great post once again OP :)

I think Jon Snow is the Great Other and main antag of ASoIaF. He'll be leading the Others as the Second Night's King. It will be the most satisfying twist in the story as Jon will obviously be the most bad ass villain from any story ever.

I think this is closer to the mark than most.All the foreshadowing in the story seems to point to Jon being taken by the Others and becoming one.He may be seen as a villain,even as a second Nights King but really he'll be about reversing the magic that created the Others in the first place.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I guess the Others are attacking the Watch because they know Jon is there and since they want him they are coming for him... Oh God.

Also, the Great Other, if he even exists, will never be shown. No deity will be shown. So boo, there goes that.

Why is that so funny?Why did they take the original Nights King?Was it to do with him being a Stark?Perhaps the Others are attacking because what they want is in Winterfell?

When your sides have stopped aching I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about this preposterous theory.I've a few posts under my belt so I may know what I'm talking about.

I don't see any role for the Great Other either,btw.

Bran's coma dream-

Finally he looked north.He saw the Wall shining like blue crystal,and his bastard brother Jon sleeping alone in a cold bed,his skin growing pale and hard as the memory of all warmth fled from him.

This alone could indicate a close association to the Others in Jon's future,but the words pale and hard are used in our very first glimpse of the Others in the Prologue,-

Tall, it was,and gaunt and hard as old bones,with flesh pale as milk.

One can of course invent a myriad of ways to interpret these quotes,but personally I put a lot of weight on Martin's use of repetition of words and phrases in his liberal use of foreshadowing .

Archived