A typical northman

Ser Edmure Tully

For me a typical Northman is a guy who lives north of the Neck. I don't think that there really is more to it than that. First Men and Andals have way more in common has both are humans than the relatively few cultural differences which defines them as First Men and Andals respectively.

For me a typical Northman is a guy who lives north of the Neck. I don't think that there really is more to it than that. First Men and Andals have way more in common has both are humans than the relatively few cultural differences which defines them as First Men and Andals respectively.

Well that is pretty boring, would you not say?

Indeed it is, but we humans tend be kind of similar in most ways.

I of course disagree with that. I would qualify that by saying that "If brought up similarly, then humans can be quite similar."

But I'm afraid that cultural differences vastly change how different groups of humans interact with the world.

And in ages preceding global media and its homogenizing influence these differences were even more extreme.

I have always assumed that the Northmen are the the Southerners what the Scottish are to the English.

The Scotsman is assumed to be dour (like Ned), tight fisted, hardy, can stand cold and very long walks, drink lots of whisky, are naturally rebellious and distrustful of authority, fanatically loyal to the chieftain (in the past), quirky sense of humour,

Yeah, the North also reminds me of medieval Scotland. The tribal loyalty, the rebellious attitude, the highlander clans, the harsh no-bullshit mentality, the combo of medieval European civilization with an older clan system...

The relationship between North and South is pretty similar to that between Scotland and (southern) England.

Are we sure Stannis Baratheon isn't a Northman?

Stannis is probably the most un-Northern character.

He does have a really strong sense of honor and duty, but his worldview (and obsession with social ritual) is very Southern.

I think the way northerners act, is a reaction to the environment that they live in. Because they live in a more extreme enveironment, they have more extreme behaviour, which is seen in people like Roose Bolton and Big Bucket Wull. You can see the same thing, when comparing northerners with the wildlings.

I of course disagree with that. I would qualify that by saying that "If brought up similarly, then humans can be quite similar."

But I'm afraid that cultural differences vastly change how different groups of humans interact with the world.

And in ages preceding global media and its homogenizing influence these differences were even more extreme.

indeed, cultural differences should not be underestimated. But these things tend not to affect personality and character, what we desire, need and wish for on a basic level. I would say its more about what kind of method you use to take on general human problems. Although the importance of which method is used should not be understimated.

It's hard to generalize but Ned Stark and his kids are what I think of when talking about the north. Plus they have cool sayings.

Except that Ned Stark is not a typical Northman, he's Jon Arryn 2.0.

Archived