[BOOK SPOILERS] Nitpick without repercussion?

In the book it goes something like:

Dany: you might die etc

Missandei: Valar Morghulis

Dany: Yes, but not for a long while, we can hope.

Something like that, something not at all ridiculous.

Right. The exchange about how Missandei faced death and disease and starvation if she followed Dany is there, Missandei's response is there...but the follow-up is changed from 'yeah, we'll die, but hopefully not for a long time' to 'we are not men.'

I know it was supposed to express confidence. Instead, to me, it just seemed nonsensical and absurd. No, Dany, I'm pretty sure eventually dying applies to you and your new handmaiden, too.

This is one thing I hope they start veering away from. Dany saying stuff like that...and half her second season dialogue seemed to consist of dialogue like that, boasting and threatening and telling everyone around her how special and powerful she is...doesn't make her seem confident or cool to me so much as naive and short-sighted.

Then again, given where her storyline goes from here, perhaps that's intentional...

Yeah but, she's not gonna die ever? It doesn't work, that was my point. Why did they write that?

In context, she asks Missandei if she's worried that in her service she may even die. Missandei says all men must die. Dany says yes, but we're not men. So of course Dany isn't asserting that they will be immortal, but rather Missandei need not worry because the two of them will go a long way. No easy deaths kind of thing. I don't know, it's sort of half silly but it was still kind of badass.

Yeah, it's kind of a stupid line. I also notice how in the show Dany randomly switches from playing the badass to innocent girl card back and forth...like one second she's trying to give water to some dying slave, next minute she's telling Missandei, "you're mine now and you're prolly gonna die." (she was so much nicer to her in the books) They're trying too hard to make her a badass with a heart of gold.

I also notice how in the show Dany randomly switches from playing the badass to innocent girl card back and forth...like one second she's trying to give water to some dying slave, next minute she's telling Missandei, "you're mine now and you're prolly gonna die." (she was so much nicer to her in the books) They're trying too hard to make her a badass with a heart of gold.

That's her entire character in the book, sprinkled with a little self entitlement (which they do convey in the TV series).

I understand she can be a mixed bag in the books, but it's even more pronounced in the show. When they cut out the season 2 of Doreah strangling Irri it seemed overly harsh to lock up Doreah alive like that.

I understand she can be a mixed bag in the books, but it's even more pronounced in the show. When they cut out the season 2 of Doreah strangling Irri it seemed overly harsh to lock up Doreah alive like that.

Doreah betrayed to her to lay with the man that plot to steal her dragons and draw power from them after she quite reasonably refuses to marry him. Doreah in the books does nothing of the sort.

I know that (obviously, her dragons weren't even stolen in the books), but it didn't really make that clear in the show unless you saw the deleted footage. It didn't to me anyway.

I know that, but it didn't really make that clear in the show unless you saw the deleted footage. It didn't to me anyway.

Well it doesn't matter what we think. Dany sees members of her Khalasar slain and her dragons stolen by orders of a man with whom her hand maiden is now fucking. She sees it as terrible betrayal (Which it actually is) and condemns her to death. The reason the stangling scene is cut is because it was awful and because they knew people would figure out that Doreah betrayed her.

I think the show sucks.

I think they should just have GRRM read some chapters live on TV every week because they can't do it justice, they have proved that since episode one of season two. Also, fans who have already read the books are not allowed to be confused by minor changes in the series. FURTHERMORE, the collective body of readers must be contacted before any changes are made to approve of them...like, we were here first, everyone else can fuck right off.

Season one was good, not great, they should have ended it there.

I think the show sucks.

I think they should just have GRRM read some chapters live on TV every week because they can't do it justice, they have proved that since episode one of season two. Also, fans who have already read the books are not allowed to be confused by minor changes in the series. FURTHERMORE, the collective body of readers must be contacted before any changes are made to approve of them...like, we were here first, everyone else can fuck right off.

You forgot to mention the term "Character Assassination" in your usual sarcastic post ;)

Well it doesn't matter what we think. Dany sees members of her Khalasar slain and her dragons stolen by orders of a man with whom her hand maiden is now fucking. She sees it as terrible betrayal (Which it actually is) and condemns her to death. The reason the stangling scene is cut is because it was awful and because they knew people would figure out that Doreah betrayed her.

It doesn't matter what viewers think? Isn't that the point? All I saw was a whore sleeping with someone (who may have been threatened, tortured, gave her no choice, etc) and Dany just assuming she was betrayed and condemned her to death, which seems callously cold even for Dany. It's just a small thing and I understood it once I saw the cut footage, but at the time it was just weird to me.

It doesn't matter what viewers think? Isn't that the point? All I saw was a whore sleeping with someone (who may have been threatened, tortured, gave her no choice, etc) and Dany just assuming she was betrayed and condemned her to death, which seems callously cold even for Dany. It's just a small thing and I understood it once I saw the cut footage, but at the time it was just weird to me.

A character's motivation to any event is not whatsoever influenced by what you think. The Freys weakened their position greatly with the RW. Balon Greyjoy was a total moron to attack the North instead of Lannisport. Ramsey should not have gone to the extents that he did to torture Theon. Our opinion doesn't matter to the characters.

Doreah is a whore, but she was bought by Viserys to please him and sort of act as Dany's handmaiden when he wasn't calling on her. After Viserys dies, what is Doreah's role besides to be Dany's handmaiden? She follows her through the Red Waste to get to Qarth, a choice she didn't need to make since Dany offered everybody freedom to leave. She follows Dany and befriends her. She is in her service. And because she's a whore she should not only forego her service but consort with men who betrayed her? Again, look at it from Dany's point of view, not your own. You are not the character.

Archived