Samwell, Samwise?

The search doesn't work for me so I'm sorry if this question has already been asked before (likely) but I can't find it.

Do you think that Samwell Tarly will hold a similar role of Samwise Gamgee as Frodo's companion to 'destroy evil' aka defeat the others (if that happens) along side Jon Snow?

OT, but you can search this forum using google while the forum search is down.

Forum search is down around the time the TV show airs. Sometimes from Saturday through Tuesday, sometimes shorter.

I think he already has. this is of course saying that Jon Snow is the "main character" who will defeat evil. IF he continues to play the Samwise role, I think that will mark him for a bitter end just because GRRM is striving to show the realism that Tolkiens Epic Fantasy did not. The lovable side kick doesn't always return to Hobbiton and marry his lady love :P

I think he already has. this is of course saying that Jon Snow is the "main character" who will defeat evil. IF he continues to play the Samwise role, I think that will mark him for a bitter end just because GRRM is striving to show the realism that Tolkiens Epic Fantasy did not. The lovable side kick doesn't always return to Hobbiton and marry his lady love :P

Tolkien's world was gritty enough. The loveable hero (Frodo), who sacrifices everything to save the world ends up broken and oddly under appreciated in his own home. As for the Silmarillion the only 'hero' to survive that is Galadriel.

Samwell and Samwise are too different characters. Both in a suffer from low self esteem due to their fathers, but Samwise is both down to earth and extremeley arrogant. Samwell is very well educated, very smart and has no pride or much physical skill. Samwell is wiser and more aware of the world. I don't see him playing the actie role that Samwise did, but he may discover some vital pieces of information.

Archived