New Sample Chapter

Whether a metaphore , or playing with ideas, or serious depressive intentions, again this is

open to different interpretations. I wish you two good luck in the next round. :thumbsup:

George 'Cliffhanger' Martin really knows how to fool us and keep us gonig. :)

I think that scene adds strength to my overall conjecture of the deep state of depression and hopelessness that Tyrion is feeling throughout the chapter.

The reason he picks the mushrooms is because he's suicidal. A large part of him just wanted to get the whole thing over with. When you quoted him thinking "Delicious, he thought, or deadly. But which. Why not both?" You missed the crucial next line "He was not a brave man to take steel to his own bell, but a bite of mushroom would not be so hard."

The posion is not what he is trying to avoid, the poison is the only thing he's after, it's his ticket out.

Not to be offensive, but you really need to stop assuming what I do and don't realize, based on what I choose to post. For example, I said "And there's always the "cigar is just a cigar" theorem, as well," which implies that the obvious interpretation is likely the true one, i.e. Tyrion wanted to kill himself. Secondly - I already said that Tyrion was under great emotional tension. If you missed it, I talked about my personal philosophy re: stress, i.e. that it allows for insight into character's motivations.

But when one analyzes a metaphor (especially after Old Zog's postulate, "so I infer that the mushrooms will have some role to play later in the book") mentioning the obvious alternative isn't very revelant to the discussion, as the obvious interpretation is, by virtue of its evidence, one that most likely already have a solid grasp on.

And I thought we agreed to drop the point?

People are arguing that we can't read too much into this because Tyrion is under pretty stressful circumstances, which would be a good argument if Tyrion were your best friend from college and has spent the past few days on your couch drinking and talking about having people killed and you're all, what the fuck. But Tyrion, being a fictional character, is less likely to get into these moods just because he's feeling low; i.e., we're reading about it because it's important to the development of his character. Obv. he could change--allthough word is that the guy has even worse things in his future, so 'change' doesn't necessarily mean that he'll become nicer--but we're not going to see Tyrion go on a bender for just no reason whatsoever.

Archived