New Sample Chapter

There's a new sample chapter from ADWD up on GRRM's website. It's one that's been read at cons, but yet to be seen in writing. Sample

This is a wonderful surprise! Thanks for pointing it out. 8 pages! A-4!

I'll have a good weekend. A superlightweight little book! Great! :P

My favorite part was this section --

The dwarf tore a loaf of bread in half. "And you had best be careful what you say of my family, magister. Kinslayer or no, I am a lion still."

That seemed to amuse the lord of cheese no end. He slapped a meaty thigh and said, "You Westerosi are all the same. You sew some beast upon a scrap of silk, and suddenly you are all lions or dragons or eagles. I can bring you to a real lion, my little friend. The prince keeps a pride in his menagerie. Would you like to share a cage with them?"

The lords of the Seven Kingdoms did make rather much of their sigils, Tyrion had to admit. "Very well," he conceded. "A Lannister is not a lion. Yet I am still my father's son, and Jaime and Cersei are mine to kill."

Just like the section of aFfC where Littlefinger comments that he was expecting Cercei's downfall to take about five years, this seems to be Martin using Illyrio to make a comment on himself. In this case, it's his obsession with sigils. I mean, has anyone tried to count all the sigils that have been mentioned so far? There have to be hundreds.

The funny thing is that when Illyrio tells Tyrion he can arrange for him to sleep witha lion, Tyrion admits his folly. What if he had asked Rickon, Bran or Jon that. haha, seems as though they would have been ontop of Illyrio on that one

I somehow doubt Bran, Rickon or Jon would be caught comparing themselves to lions :P

One small criticizm:

If I have to hear "wherever whores go..." three times a chapter for the whole book it may just do me in.

cheers

Just made a quick account of the times " Wherever whores go ", turns up in the chapter, either in Tyrion's head or put as a question to others.

10 times at least.

I love the irony of this.

I remember in one of the old threads someone dismissed Tysha as long buried and

neglectable stuff. So you never know.

This chapter is really rubbing this in. I don't mind the 10 times.

Beeing locked up and rolled down in a cask must be mindshaking.

So Tywins famous last words are turning round and round.

Just made a quick account of the times " Wherever whores go ", turns up in the chapter, either in Tyrion's head or put as a question to others.

10 times at least.

This chapter is really rubbing this in. I don't mind the 10 times.

Beeing locked up and rolled down in a cask must be mindshaking.

So Tywins famous last words are turning round and round.

Although they weren't really Tywin's last words. Just the last ones he said before Tyrion shot him.

His last words were "You are not my son."

10 times at least.

To me, this makes the theory that Tysha is the Sailor's Wife much more likely...no way we aren't going to find her in some form. Even if "where whores go" turns out to be the grave, we'll see Tysha, or some trace of her, before the series ends.

I am excited about the spoiler chapters: the mystery women of Westeros, Wylla and Tysha, seem to be inching closer and closer to the stage.

Wylla is absolutely #1 on my wishlist for an onstage appearance (as I have been saying obsessively since I joined the forum), so I hope this trend continues.

Although they weren't really Tywin's last words. Just the last ones he said before Tyrion shot him.

You're right.....no son of mine. I confess! I did not check before posting :rolleyes: . This 'Where ever' line must have stuck to my memory better.

The constant repeats of phrases like "where whores go", is a common litterary device, nor do I find it annoying. Before this one, we had "Lancel, Osmund Kettleblack and Moonboy", "Winter is coming", "A Lannister always pays his debt", "I loved a maid fair as summer with sunlight in her hair", "You know nothing, Jon Snow", "My giant of Lannister" and so on.

It sets up the mood for the character and emphasizes points. Sometimes it can be A BIT overdone, but I haven't seen this yet in ASoIaF.

Now for something completely different. Illyrio really grows on me in this chapter. The guy really has it made, he acts really confident and powerful. And with reason, it appears. He's like a wealthy mafioso boss who's past-time activity is gaining political power.

Ya, I noticed that too, mainly because Tyrion has such a great line following it.

"I'm you writ small."

A great chapter.

Oh dear. What happens if Tyrion becomes the central bad guy of the series, a Tywin writ small?

It's probably to soon to talk about this since Tyrion is dead drunk most of the time. But comparing to Jaime who seems to still care for his brother, Tyrion has just hatred for his siblings. I believe that everyone on this board who believe in the happy reunion of the Lannisters brothers will be deeply disappointed.

And I wanted to ask something else. Since it all points out that Tyrion is actually going to Danny why is everybody so certain that Danny will want him. Her character also showed some points where the hatred for her enemies lies so deep as Robert's did for Targaryens. And Tyrion since being a Lannister and a former hand perfectly fits this description even if he killed Tywin.

Well, Tyrion isn't guilty of any offense in particular against the Targaryens. He was a child when Robert took over, and had no influence over any of the deaths against the T.'s; and his murder of Tywin is both justice as far as Dany is concerned and a clear sign that he has cut all ties with his family. Basically, he has nowhere else to go.

A great chapter. And I wanted to ask something else. Since it all points out that Tyrion is actually going to Danny why is everybody so certain that Danny will want him. Her character also showed some points where the hatred for her enemies lies so deep as Robert's did for Targaryens. And Tyrion since being a Lannister and a former hand perfectly fits this description even if he killed Tywin.

As far I read the chapter only gives away that Dany is coming to stop the bleeding in Westeros.

Nothing really points out that Tyrion is actually going to her. The free cities are full of surprises and dangers. How comfortably he may be situated now, it has so often been GrrM's trick to point out one direction and then take another. I hope he does not end up as an overripe :box: trainee for the Unsullied.

Am I the only one who noticed that Ilriyo mocks Tyrion for using animal-names for members of Westerosi Houses although he is doing so himself in the end (by refering to Dany as a "Dragon")?

Any significance? Hidden message? Or does it go along the lines "only Targs are worth being called animal-names"?

As far I read the chapter only gives away that Dany is coming to stop the bleeding in Westeros.

That's what Illyrio thinks. But if Danny is going to stop the bleeding or be the reason for more slaughter is another debate....

It seems everything points in the direction that Tyrion is going to join with Danny. His only options were Dorne and the wall but both were bad from the start. Illyrio obviously wants Tyrion to join the Targ camp and if his lust for revenge will not be enough to get him there dragons will. Dragons are something he dreamed about since he was a little boy (GoT). The only thing that might prevent Tyrion from going to Danny is his guild about Tysha. He could still turn everybody down and go searching for her. But since he is one of the most important characters and beside Martin's favourite I don't see him putting Tyrion out of the story just yet.

I didn't like the chapter.

I didn't dislike it either.

It's sort of just there.

Yes, I wanted to see what became of Tyrion. I had a feeling he'd go east, as most did.

The idea of him going to Dany: Interesting, but I've heard so much cheering it on in fandom that I'm not as excited about it.

(I wonder if perhaps I'm less excited about the chapter because I spend too much time on this forum. Seriously. :cool: )

I wasn't that excited when I read the Cersei sample chapter before AFfC either. Maybe I just don't like sample chapters.

The Tyrion chapter seems like it needs to be pared down. There's a lot of excess fat in it. Needs to be edited. (And since it's not published in book form yet, perhaps it will be.) The action is really interesting, but there's too much exposition in between. The end is great. So is the first line.

And yes, I noticed Illyrio's mocking of sigils. That was great too. Brilliant by GRRM. Stepping outside to poke at his own creation. Nicely done.

The "where whores go" thing was overdone.

Doesn't make me any less likely to read the book. Not a great chapter, but not a bad one. Let's put it this way. GRRM probably put it on his web site because, if there's one thing we all want to know, it's what happened to Tyrion. That was nice of him.

Now, about the rest of the book...

I didn't like the chapter.

I didn't dislike it either.

It's sort of just there.

(I wonder if perhaps I'm less excited about the chapter because I spend too much time on this forum. Seriously. :cool: )

That could be so.

Some people made me see on the other thread that one chapter is not enough to set you free from the forum. I experienced that too. I gather from what they say that when one reads the following book one gets more detached from the forum. ('This one may get more detached') :P

I really did love the house call at Illyrio's. In fact, I'm happy with the chapter.

Am I the only one who noticed that Ilriyo mocks Tyrion for using animal-names for members of Westerosi Houses although he is doing so himself in the end (by refering to Dany as a "Dragon")?

Any significance? Hidden message? Or does it go along the lines "only Targs are worth being called animal-names"?

From my reading of the chapter, I assumed that Illyrio made that comment as a light-hearted jab at Tyrion's previous use of house sigils to describe their members. I seem to remember him smiling/laughing as he says it.

Archived