ASOIAF in other languages

Xasthur

I read all the books in spanish and they're excelent that way.

They only changed the names of certain places like Winterfell = Invernalia, KL = Desembarco del Rey, DragonStone = Rocadragón.

Well it`s expected to change those names, since Martin uses characterization with names. Look for instance serbian translations - Kraljeva Luka, Zimovrel, Visoki Sad, Suncevo koplje, Brzorecje, Livacka Stena. Who wants to guess what are their equivalents in English :)?

Well it`s expected to change those names, since Martin uses characterization with names. Look for instance serbian translations - Kraljeva Luka, Zimovrel, Visoki Sad, Suncevo koplje, Brzorecje, Livacka Stena. Who wants to guess what are their equivalents in English :)?

Not even gonna try imma leave that translation up to you Mladen lmao

I read the series in english, because i really don't like translations no matter how good they are done. My sister read them in german, and when we get to discuss the books i'm sometimes just stunned with disbelief how they translate certain proper names. I generally don't get why there is such a constraint to translate proper names in germany. Just leave them how they are ffs

That's an issue not only in books, but also in other media and games (don't even get me startet on WoW).

Livacka Stena: Lyanna Stark?

No idea about the others...

Livacka Stena: Lyanna Stark?

:). No. It`s Casterly Rock. Lyanna Stark is rather simple in Serbian - Lijena Stark.

I should open a thread on Forum Games, so people could guess what is correct English translation.

Casterly Rock in danish somehow ended up being Casterly Castle..

:). No. It`s Casterly Rock. Lyanna Stark is rather simple in Serbian - Lijena Stark.

I should open a thread on Forum Games, so people could guess what is correct English translation.

Great idea :thumbsup:

@Mladen Kraljeva is definitely King's Landing (I recognized Kral = King, am I right? If so we have a common word! :wideeyed: ). Other than that, I'm lost :laugh:

Correct.

I've read the hungarian version multiple times, the translator made a pretty good work actually.

All the bastard names (Havas Ramsay stands for Ramsay Snow) and lot of the city names were translated also (for instance: Winterfell - Deres; Riverrun - Zúgó), but a lot of them were left with the original name (Harrenhal, Lannisport or Castamere).

There were only some minor stuff that was incorrect in hungarian (e.g. dany's bloodriders were called 'bloodknights'), so I'm satisfied with the hun publishing (although The Hedge Knight's translation was done by some other guy and he made a really terrible job).

Archived